What happens with Jake Fromm?

2 hours ago, T master said:

I think they keep him around like they did last year to develop & when Tribs leaves next year they will have a viable back up going forward or a possible player available for trade to another team to get some draft capital or to entice another team to trade with the Bills . 

Ding ding ding ding.... And we have a winner.  Fromm's development no doubt suffered as a result of the pandemic.  Trubiski is probably not hanging around as a back for an under-market salary for more than a year.  And he will probably want at least one more chance to compete for a starting gig.

We have no idea how his development went last season. Good or bad.  Bills will continue his development for another season, unless he is just sucking out loud.

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Maynard said:

I think he’ll go on the practice squad and they’ll continue to monitor him. Possibility of him being the backup next year, when Trubs is gone. 

i agree.  He may be the perfect backup.   He could be in Buffalo for ten years.   

The only problem with that theory is that he won't have any experience.  Trubisky is the perfect backup; the problem is that you can't always have a Trubisky.  

Bottom line is that backup QB is always a work in process.  The GM can never say "we're set at backup QB for the next several years."   

Maybe Daniel Jones will be next season's Trubisky.

He’s the Bills red stapler guy down in the basement... 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

He’s a winner judging by his college career. The reason I wasn’t high on the pick is his arm: he just doesn’t have enough of one.

With that being said, I’m sure Beane and company have a better understanding of where he stands...and I doubt they’ll toss him after one partial year without compensation from someone. 

We probably keep both if possible - Trubisky is only here for a year. They can hope that either Fromm or Webb develops enough to be of equal skill while being at a much lower cost. Or we cut 1 and ask Alex Smith to be our backup a year from now when he has the itch to play again in a mentor role. 

As stated above, Fromm didn't get a real shot to play/develop last year.  Absent COVID, last year Fromm would have likely been a clear #3 behind Barkley while he developed, and then this year, he would have moved up to #2 with the release of Barkley.  The plan has been pushed back a year.  He develops as a #3 behind Trubisky and if he shows, he's the #2 next season and if he doesn't, they will move on and sign another veteran FA and/or draft another developmental prospect.

Webb is on his 3rd team and if he hasn't stuck on a roster by now, he just doesn't have the talent.  He appears to have the work ethic and personality, but that's not enough to play in the NFL.  Seems like a great candidate to become a coach.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Davis Webb and Fromm fight it out for third string. I am not sure if Fromm can beat out Webb, which is kind of sad. It always seemed like a strange pick to me, but at the time I was hoping Fromm could replace Barkley and become the backup for the next 3-4 years. Now, with Trubisky and Webb getting the call up last year, I’m not so sure Jake makes it. The only thing I think Fromm has going for him with Buffalo is where and when he was drafted.

Tubisky is expected to only be here for a year so Fromm probably just hangs out on the PS.

Fromm is essentially a rookie, as we still don't know what we have in him. We also did invest a 5th round pick in him. Given that Trubisky is here for just one year probably, if Fromm shows promise this pre-season, I would keep him on the roster and not risk him being poached from the PS. Didn't we carry three QB's at some point in in 2018 (among Allen, Anderson, Barkley, Peterman), although I admit we still didn't know what we had in Allen at that time. He's still on a rookie contract, and we have him cheap. If he doesn't show promise, he can battle it out with Webb for the PS spot (assuming Webb is still PS-eligible).

Edited by chongli

Practice squad. Remember, Trubisky isn't sticking around beyond this season. He's looking at 2021 as a "reboot" for him and will look to sign somewhere with a chance to compete for QB1 in 2022. 

I think Fromm will hang around here for at least this season as they try to develop him and see what he's got. 

Davis Webb is likely the third string guy and gets the call up in the event Trubisky has to start a game. I can't see that happening since Josh Allen is made of BDE and vibranium. They really like Webb for his IQ as well. They're moving on without Barkley so I feel like they'll keep Webb since he's been in the QB room with Josh for a couple years now. 

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

i agree.  He may be the perfect backup.   He could be in Buffalo for ten years.   

The only problem with that theory is that he won't have any experience.  Trubisky is the perfect backup; the problem is that you can't always have a Trubisky.  

Bottom line is that backup QB is always a work in process.  The GM can never say "we're set at backup QB for the next several years."   

Maybe Daniel Jones will be next season's Trubisky.

Daniel Jones is set up for a big year. Giants are going to be good. 

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Daniel Jones is set up for a big year. Giants are going to be good. 

Set up or not, Giant fans are not sold on the guy.  We saw what Josh Allen did when he was "set up."  We'll see what Jones does. 

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Set up or not, Giant fans are not sold on the guy.  We saw what Josh Allen did when he was "set up."  We'll see what Jones does. 

Similar situation, I agree. I don’t think he will match Allen’s numbers but I do see him having a “breakout” season.