Who are the 49er's going to take at 3

wagne591

I think its Trey Lance

To the OP they already have Kittle and would be the laughing stock of the league if they traded up for a TE.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His dad bod is not as sexy as Baker's.

Very TB12 ;)

16 hours ago, B-Man said:

Zack Wilson

(the Jets will screw up their pick)

You never know....maybe they want Lance or Fields. 

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think any of these QBs will actually factor into this season unless Jimmy gets injured. I think Kyle is drafting his Qb of the future, not his Qb of the present. If I’m not mistaken, he’s actually said as much. He’s a pretty straight shooter.

There won’t be a future if Garappolo suffers his fifth serious injury in six seasons this year (he had two last year that cost him at separate points) and the backup qb play sucks again. Four out of five losing seasons is not a recipe for job retention.

Edited by dave mcbride

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There won’t be a future if Garappolo suffers his fifth serious injury in six seasons this year (he had two last year that cost him at separate points) and the backup qb play sucks again. Four out of five losing seasons is not a recipe for job retention.

I personally think they have job security regardless but if garapollo gets hurt and the rookie sees any significant time, to me it’s only a good thing. I’m a proponent of early playing time in QB development. If it were me I would start any rookie drafted that high and just reset the franchise going forward. But that doesn’t seem to be his approach and I see both sides. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Equally let's imagine a world where the 49ers select Mac Jones and he ends up starting the second half of the year and goes 4-4 looking like a good game manager type who is efficient, high completion % and runs Shanny's offense. Meanwhile Justin Fields is drafted by New England plays from week 4 and looks great. I think that puts Lynch and Shanny at great risk as well. If they go against the grain with Jones (and if they really believe he is the guy then they should) and he looks decent but not great while either Lance or Fields looks special then they are in trouble. I just don't buy that Jones is the only safe play. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Equally let's imagine a world where the 49ers select Mac Jones and he ends up starting the second half of the year and goes 4-4 looking like a good game manager type who is efficient, high completion % and runs Shanny's offense. Meanwhile Justin Fields is drafted by New England plays from week 4 and looks great. I think that puts Lynch and Shanny at great risk as well. If they go against the grain with Jones (and if they really believe he is the guy then they should) and he looks decent but not great while either Lance or Fields looks special then they are in trouble. I just don't buy that Jones is the only safe play. 

Reminds me of what happened with Tua ... while Miami watched Herbert look special who they passed on. Not that anyone didn’t expect Tua to go high, or criticize their pick at the time, but he didn’t have the elite traits. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Reminds me of what happened with Tua ... while Miami watched Herbert look special who they passed on. Not that anyone didn’t expect Tua to go high, or criticize their pick at the time, but he didn’t have the elite traits. 

He didn't have elite physical talents - for sure. I think the thing on his tape I'd have said was "elite" was his touch. But he has really looked nervous to let go of the ball without maximum separation in the NFL so that ability to loop a ball perfectly into the bucket has not really been displayed as yet. 

On your point, totally agree. If they take Jones and he is Tua as a rookie while the Patriots or Broncos take Fields and he is Herbert..... then that adds to any result driven pressure on both HC and GM. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think this is spot on.  You can get Tua/Mac Jones - a guy you can win with, but if at your pick you also have the elite traits guy and you pass - ala Herbert last year - that is significantly harder on the fan base.  

The amount of questions that the front office fields and the need to try and build a successful offense to make up for the pick - pulls focus from what you need to do.

The drafting of Tua and success of Herbert caused Miami to overplay and have to pull Tua several times trying to get into the playoffs and the entire thing was a mistake.  The Miami staff got caught up in competition and it cost them and now they are trying to build the offense and so far it does not seem to fit the QB they have that is risk adverse and throws short with anticipation.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t given a darn who San Francisco picks? I remember all the hype and water cooler debate over Goff and Wentz and now look what’s happened. What have we learned? Picking QBs is a very risky business! 

The Bills draft is boring this year so we need draft drama in our lives. I don’t care who they take as much as I care who they don’t take and could potentially be there for the Pats in a trade 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills draft is boring this year so we need draft drama in our lives. I don’t care who they take as much as I care who they don’t take and could potentially be there for the Pats in a trade 

Well put...I was going to mention that. It’s kind of nice to be drafting Mr Irrelevant at #30? 😉

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don’t think Shanny or Lynch are in any trouble no matter what happens this year or next year.  That Ownership wants them to be successful and will give them longer than they should.

I think they get this QB and 2-3 full years to see if the QB works.  Whether they start him day #1 or let Jimmy G play out the year and start him for year #2.

The only way I see them getting canned early is if they moved up and they draft a position other than QB (not happening) and a QB they could of drafted becomes a rising star.

Myself - I think the Mac Jones hype is a smoke screen.  I think he is good, but they could of gotten him with a small move up.  The move to 3 puts added pressure and I think it comes down to Fields and Lance.  I think Fields is the safer choice and within that scheme can flourish, but Lance to me has the higher upside and most room for growth - especially in a stable situation.  

With Jimmy G in place and a ton of weapons - I would favor the bigger risk of Lance - especially after they saw JA personally destroy their DC with things that only a few guys could do.  Lance also is more of an under center guy and that helps immensely in the Shanny offense. 

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think Shanny or Lynch are in any trouble no matter what happens this year or next year.  That Ownership wants them to be successful and will give them longer than they should.

I think they get this QB and 2-3 full years to see if the QB works.  Whether they start him day #1 or let Jimmy G play out the year and start him for year #2.

The only way I see them getting canned early is if they moved up and they draft a position other than QB (not happening) and a QB they could of drafted becomes a rising star.

Myself - I think the Mac Jones hype is a smoke screen.  I think he is good, but they could of gotten him with a small move up.  The move to 3 puts added pressure and I think it comes down to Fields and Lance.  I think Fields is the safer choice and within that scheme can flourish, but Lance to me has the higher upside and most room for growth - especially in a stable situation.  

With Jimmy G in place and a ton of weapons - I would favor the bigger risk of Lance - especially after they saw JA personally destroy their DC with things that only a few guys could do.  Lance also is more of an under center guy and that helps immensely in the Shanny offense. 

Agree. If I had to guess what happened with the Mac jones train is that they were strongly considering him when they were at 12 and that got leaked somehow on how much work they were doing on him. The trade was made the day of Zach Wilson’s pro day and I think they learned that day that Jets were locked in on him (the HC and OC are both from SF) so they knew who would be there at 3 and pulled the trigger. Kyle said there were 3 guys they felt comfortable taking at that spot at the time of the trade. He also alluded to an incomplete evaluation. I believe the 3 were Lawrence, Wilson, Fields. The incomplete evaluation was Lance. The evaluation is likely complete this week. Lance or Fields will be their pick imo. They both had their “private workouts” with SF in the last 6 days.

• Like (+1) 1