Who are the 49er's going to take at 3

wagne591

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He always makes sure to mention he hasn't actually been told who the 49ers will pick, that's just his instinct based on what he knows about Shanahan and about the QB options. Anyways there's no reason for the 49ers to worry about keeping it a secret. The top 2 picks are already locked in.

They clearly do want to keep it a secret. 

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Chris Simms is a personal friend of Kyle Shanahan, and he has been adamant that Mac Jones will be the pick. Obviously Shanahan hasn't told him for sure but Simms knows how he thinks about the game. Shahanan almost won a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. If he sees Mac Jones having that potential it makes sense.

Chris Cooley, ex WFT tight end is a friend of Kyle Shanahan and he thinks they are taking Mac Jones as well.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Fields.

At no point at all have i ever believed the Mac Jones talk. You simply don't trade that draft capital for the concensus 4th rated QB. 

The Bills did. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Chris Cooley, ex WFT tight end is a friend of Kyle Shanahan and he thinks they are taking Mac Jones as well.

The Bills did. 

Every mock draft has them taking Jones. 

If Shanahan told his friends what they were doing with the pick, would you fire him if you were the GM or owner?

7 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

The Bills did. 

Allen was not consensus 4th rated QB.  He was the consensus most raw prospect even when compared to Jackson.  Their was zero consensus on the QB order going into that draft.  There were several mocks that had Darnold or Rosen going #1 overall.  There were others that saw Mayfield fall to 4th taken. Some folks thought the Jets would take Allen and even others thought the Broncos could be in the mix for Allen as the #3 QB taken.  

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They clearly do want to keep it a secret. 

I think it's more that they haven't made a 100% final decision yet. Obviously they're doing their due diligence with the pro days and all that. They have no need for a smoke screen. There's zero chance of another team jumping them. Simms is admittedly a little biased because he has Mac Jones as his 3rd ranked QB and isn't a big fan of Fields. But there's other buzz besides what he's saying that the 49ers like Jones.

San Francisco already has Mac Jones, his name is Jimmy Garropolo, why use up all of that draft capital to draft a clone ?

I'm guessing they'll go with the guy JA has given a pep talk to, Trey Lance. If they go that way I can see Fields going #4 to Atlanta and Mac Jones going to the patriots, hopefully at #5.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think it's more that they haven't made a 100% final decision yet. Obviously they're doing their due diligence with the pro days and all that. They have no need for a smoke screen. There's zero chance of another team jumping them. Simms is admittedly a little biased because he has Mac Jones as his 3rd ranked QB and isn't a big fan of Fields. But there's other buzz besides what he's saying that the 49ers like Jones.

There are a lot of guys saying a lot of things. Joe Thomas played for Kyle and he thinks he’s taking Fields. I think Atlanta leaked that the Niners are taking jones to try to drum up interest in the 4th pick for fields/lance. I just don’t think that most teams really believe it. The Niners also have a vested interest in ensuring that the Jets stick with Wilson and don’t decide to take their guy. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

San Francisco already has Mac Jones, his name is Jimmy Garropolo, why use up all of that draft capital to draft a clone ?

I'm guessing they'll go with the guy JA has given a pep talk to, Trey Lance. If they go that way I can see Fields going #4 to Atlanta and Mac Jones going to the patriots, hopefully at #5.

Can't trust him to stay healthy.  His injuries ruined two of their last three seasons.

Edited by Doc Brown

13 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I remember Shanny’s presser before they played the Bills this year. He said something like “we really liked Josh Allen in the draft that year. But we already had jimmy.” He sounded like he got socks for Christmas. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You don’t trade all of those picks for a TE.  They will take Lance or Mac imo. I thought fields was the choice but Mike Lombardi says Fields won’t be the pick. He could be wrong, but I think they go with Lance.

they will not draft a weapon for jimmy g.

Dear God...Kittle & Pitts!! Always call Kittle Kittle and bits:wub:

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Chris Simms is a personal friend of Kyle Shanahan, and he has been adamant that Mac Jones will be the pick. Obviously Shanahan hasn't told him for sure but Simms knows how he thinks about the game. Shahanan almost won a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. If he sees Mac Jones having that potential it makes sense.

Forget Simms.  Schefter said they're going to pick him before he got a talking to from ESPN.

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Every mock draft has them taking Jones. 

If Shanahan told his friends what they were doing with the pick, would you fire him if you were the GM or owner?

Allen was not consensus 4th rated QB.  He was the consensus most raw prospect even when compared to Jackson.  Their was zero consensus on the QB order going into that draft.  There were several mocks that had Darnold or Rosen going #1 overall.  There were others that saw Mayfield fall to 4th taken. Some folks thought the Jets would take Allen and even others thought the Broncos could be in the mix for Allen as the #3 QB taken.  

Cooley's comments come from: a) playing in a Shanahan system; B) analyzing Jones's tape and considering him the best fit for the system Shanahan runs. 

If you want to go by every mock draft in terms of what constitutes "consensus" go for it and good luck to ya. Mock drafts do not reflect the diversity of opinions individual teams exhibit in how they rank players. Take mocks with a grain of salt. By draft night Mayfield was a clear #1, the Jets traded up early for Darnold because they were quite sure Mayfield was 1 and they were ok with Darnold. If not #1, the Jets clearly saw him as an ok #2. Even as the #3 QB, the Bills traded a LOT of draft capital to get Allen. As did the 49ers to get the #3 QB as they determine it. 

I’m just absolutely not buying the Mac Jones thing. No way they gave up that much capital for Jones. It has all the makings of a heavily pumped smokescreen, similar to how many outlets insisted the Dolphins were taking Herbert in the week leading up to draft day last year.

Its Fields or Lance. Has to be.

43 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Lance looks like he could be a great prospect, might take some time. I have not seen him play but looks to have elite traits. I think he’s the “incomplete evaluation” that shanahan alluded to in the post-trade presser. Seems like he wasn’t originally in their top 3 but is getting John Beck involved late to compare him to fields. 

• Like (+1) 1