Who are the 49er's going to take at 3

wagne591

People are saying the draft starts at pick 3 with the 49er's, but who will they pick? When Shanahan took over in 2017, the roster was in good shape except for a QB in which he traded for his guy in Jimmy Garoppolo and 2 years later they were in the Superbowl (2019 Season).  So why would the 49er's give up on Garoppolo so fast or are they. Maybe they are making smoke screens and have someone else in mind to get them over the hump once again. And at 12 they wouldn't be in line to get their guy. By essentially trading up to the #3 spot that is like the pick to pick anyone in the draft other then T. Lawrence, or the kid our of BYU (you go Jets waste another pick). They have set themselves up to get Jimmy G. a major weapon on the outside in any of the three WR's they like, or pick K. Pitts TE out of Florida which would be a major weapon in their offense and it would give the 49ers two major TE threats to push the ball down the field in Pitts and Kittle (that would be a scary duo). So why is everyone saying the 49er's are going to pick a QB when they already have a proven one at the helm if he can stay healthy. This reminds me of the movie the Draft Day where the Browns had their guy and he was worried about getting traded or let go....(Pitts No Matter What). If that happened that would make the whole first round much more entertaining and stress free because I don't want Pitts going to an AFC East team. Thoughts.....

• Vomit 1

Fields.

At no point at all have i ever believed the Mac Jones talk. You simply don't trade that draft capital for the concensus 4th rated QB. 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

They are definitely taking a QB and have been very forthright with that plan. They aren’t hiding anything except which QB it will be. They are doing a ton of work on all of the top QBs. Also, you don’t invest 3 first round picks on any other position. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is what Kyle said to the media a couple weeks ago about whether Kirk Cousins (gross) is his prototype QB:

Kirk Cousins, I mean, that’s just, everyone knows my history with Kirk,” Shanahan said. “Thought we’d have a chance to get him here in free agency and I would have loved to have him in free agency until Jimmy came along the year before, because I thought we could have won with him, just like Minnesota has. I think Kirk does a good job for whatever team he plays for every year. There’s a number of quarterbacks like that, but that’s the only one I’ve been associated with because people thought I was trying to bring him here, which I was at the time. It’s not because that’s how you draw it up. If you’re going to draw it up, you’re going to draw the biggest, fastest, strongest and best quarterback in the pocket. So, I think that’s pretty ridiculous to say that, but I also tell you, I love Kirk. I know I’m not allowed to talk about other players, but Kirk’s a hell of a player and a lot of people would be lucky to have a quarterback like that.”

This sounds like a coach intent on not winding up with a quarterback like Cousins. Shanahan’s reference to how he’d “draw it up” if he could at quarterback lends belief to the idea the 49ers trade up to No. 3 in this year’s draft to give themselves maximum control over who they pick. Trading three first-round picks puts Shanahan in a position to essentially pick the QB he wants – or in a position to “draw it up.””

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/30/49ers-kyle-shanahan-kirk-cousins-nfl-draft/amp/

• Like (+1) 3

You don’t trade all of those picks for a TE.  They will take Lance or Mac imo. I thought fields was the choice but Mike Lombardi says Fields won’t be the pick. He could be wrong, but I think they go with Lance.

they will not draft a weapon for jimmy g.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

People are saying the draft starts at pick 3 with the 49er's, but who will they pick? When Shanahan took over in 2017, the roster was in good shape except for a QB in which he traded for his guy in Jimmy Garoppolo and 2 years later they were in the Superbowl (2019 Season).  So why would the 49er's give up on Garoppolo so fast or are they. Maybe they are making smoke screens and have someone else in mind to get them over the hump once again. And at 12 they wouldn't be in line to get their guy. By essentially trading up to the #3 spot that is like the pick to pick anyone in the draft other then T. Lawrence, or the kid our of BYU (you go Jets waste another pick). They have set themselves up to get Jimmy G. a major weapon on the outside in any of the three WR's they like, or pick K. Pitts TE out of Florida which would be a major weapon in their offense and it would give the 49ers two major TE threats to push the ball down the field in Pitts and Kittle (that would be a scary duo). So why is everyone saying the 49er's are going to pick a QB when they already have a proven one at the helm if he can stay healthy. This reminds me of the movie the Draft Day where the Browns had their guy and he was worried about getting traded or let go....(Pitts No Matter What). If that happened that would make the whole first round much more entertaining and stress free because I don't want Pitts going to an AFC East team. Thoughts.....

ain’t reading all that if you can’t be bothered to use paragraphs but I think they’re taking Fields.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m fairly certain it’ll be Lance or Fields. Lance will have less of a learning curve adapting to Shanahan’s offense IMO while still having a sky high ceiling. Fields is the better talent but might not be as good a scheme fit.

Mac is significantly behind those two IMO. 

Lance IMO. Better athlete than Fields and certainly Mac. 

I don't think they spent all that capital for Pitts, great player but to be worth that much in the 49ers offense you have to be able to block. With that said I'd still love to have Pitts so don't take it as a dig on him.

• Like (+1) 1

Yolo posted the Shanahan quote there...that makes me think it must be Fields (no one trades that kind of draft capital for a TE by the way)

Fields is big and strong from the pocket...he isn't a run first QB, but he can move if he needs to...that's alot like Rodgers and Allen and Mahomes.

Also....I have been arguing a long time with Broncos fans about Drew Lock being pretty much a fully developed prospect at this point because he was a 4 year starter in college and has started 18 NFL games....he's had a LOT of pass attempts and by now, any flaws, etc...should have been fixed...and however you learn to make reads and all that....

Here is a chart I made showing some QB's and how many COMBINED college and pro pass attempts they've had as of today.  The point is to demonstrate that at some point you can say a QB is who he is going to be.  

Total PRO and COLLEGE pass attempts combined.

Daniel Jones 2182

DREW LOCK 2152

Mitch Trubisky 2149

Sam Darnold 2065

Lamar Jackson 2033

Josh Allen 2002  

Justin Herbert 1888

so, as this applies to the college guys.....another reason why I think this is Fields

College pass attempts

Fields  618

Mac  556

Lance 288

If you are taking Lance...he started ONE season of HS...and ONE season at NDSU.  That's putting A TON of faith that you've seen enough reps to think you know what you've got....and maybe he does go on to great things..but that's not a big sample size.

Fields has a larger sample...of playing very well against higher level competiton..and he has good traits...

Jones has good numbers but he isn't that mobile and his arm is good but not great....mabye he is a good NFL QB....I don't know that he will or won't be...but given these 3 as my choices..I take Fields.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Chris Simms is a personal friend of Kyle Shanahan, and he has been adamant that Mac Jones will be the pick. Obviously Shanahan hasn't told him for sure but Simms knows how he thinks about the game. Shahanan almost won a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. If he sees Mac Jones having that potential it makes sense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Chris Simms is a personal friend of Kyle Shanahan, and he has been adamant that Mac Jones will be the pick. Obviously Shanahan hasn't told him for sure but Simms knows how he thinks about the game. Shahanan almost won a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. If he sees Mac Jones having that potential it makes sense.

Do you think a real friend is going around on radio and giving away his buddy’s draft picks?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do you think a real friend is going around on radio and giving away his buddy’s draft picks?

He always makes sure to mention he hasn't actually been told who the 49ers will pick, that's just his instinct based on what he knows about Shanahan and about the QB options. Anyways there's no reason for the 49ers to worry about keeping it a secret. The top 2 picks are already locked in.

Edited by HappyDays

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I would say by the type of QB Shannon has worked with that Mac Jones is the guy... Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, traded for Jimmy G, I think Jones is more like these guys than Fields imo.

And he ain’t won it all with any of them.  Although Ryan would have won if Shanahan didn’t think he was smarter than everybody else and ran the damn rock.  

Jones isn’t as mobile as those other QBs and I wouldn’t call them mobile QBs.  Basically, if he takes him, Shanahan is banking on Jones being Tom Brady like.  Good luck with that.

• Like (+1) 1