Weak Draft Class?

I’m not sure if it’s weak. It just feels like a super tough year for scouting. This year was so different for every school and team. Do you rely on 2019 tape? More questions than answers.

I am guessing we see more misses at the top of the draft and more over performers in lower rounds. The draft is a bit of a crap shoot in a good year. This will be even more. 

On 4/18/2021 at 5:25 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

I think we’ve been depressed by our own mock drafts with who might be available at the Bills’ picks.  Just heard Gil Brandt claim that players picked in this year’s 4th round would have been roughly 6th round picks in the 2020 draft.  That certainly fits my perception.

Thoughts and counter arguments?

First of all,you have it backwards.  What he actually said was "“This year, a pick you’d get in the fourth round might be the quality of a sixth-round pick NEXT year.”  He was referring to the uncertainty of drafting so many players who didn't play in 2020,due to Covid, opt outs.  What if he is wrong? Maybe some of these guys benefit, recovering from injuries? And,he's like 90 so I'm not sure how sharp he is.

11 minutes ago, Georgie said:

First of all,you have it backwards.  What he actually said was "“This year, a pick you’d get in the fourth round might be the quality of a sixth-round pick NEXT year.”  He was referring to the uncertainty of drafting so many players who didn't play in 2020,due to Covid, opt outs.  What if he is wrong? Maybe some of these guys benefit, recovering from injuries? And,he's like 90 so I'm not sure how sharp he is.

OK...

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Trade up.  Quanity over quality.  Go where the good players are.

So....Maybin over Kyle Williams?  

I trust our FO to do better than most. Period. 

They say a pick this year is worth a pick a round higher next year. Probably true for a regime in jeapordy who needs to win now. I wouldn’t mind trading into next year's picks in higher rounds if that made sense. Very complicated depending upon many factors, including what positions you need and where it will be deep in the next draft, but a thought. They say next year is weak at QB, but what does it look like at edge?  IDK. Most of us are clowns. They are pros. I trust our pros to be right more than wrong. 

Honestly I haven't been 'scouting' like I do now for more than a few years so I don't know if I have the sample size to contribute, but I think this year's draft is like most others in that there are positions of weakness/lack of depth and those of depth -wr,cb, ot this year by all accounts.

Also I think the lack of regular scouting due to the pandemic has people hedging a lot more because of the reduced input of information.

There is a lot of quality there we just have to put ourselves in position(s) to get who we like, I'd be surprised if we don't trade back into the 3rd or 4th or even trade down from 30 though that would have to be a very good offer.

1 hour ago, just1hugheser said:

Honestly I haven't been 'scouting' like I do now for more than a few years so I don't know if I have the sample size to contribute, but I think this year's draft is like most others in that there are positions of weakness/lack of depth and those of depth -wr,cb, ot this year by all accounts.

Also I think the lack of regular scouting due to the pandemic has people hedging a lot more because of the reduced input of information.

There is a lot of quality there we just have to put ourselves in position(s) to get who we like, I'd be surprised if we don't trade back into the 3rd or 4th or even trade down from 30 though that would have to be a very good offer.

It is definitely shallower. Other I'd say than receiver where I think there is depth. No depth at running back, questionable depth at corner and while it is a deep offensive tackle class I think if you want one you better take them by mid 3rd because I think we could see as many as 14 or 15 tackles go off the board in the first 75 picks. There are not many developmental tackles I like once you get past that. 

7 hours ago, Augie said:

So....Maybin over Kyle Williams?  

I trust our FO to do better than most. Period. 

They say a pick this year is worth a pick a round higher next year. Probably true for a regime in jeapordy who needs to win now. I wouldn’t mind trading into next year's picks in higher rounds if that made sense. Very complicated depending upon many factors, including what positions you need and where it will be deep in the next draft, but a thought. They say next year is weak at QB, but what does it look like at edge?  IDK. Most of us are clowns. They are pros. I trust our pros to be right more than wrong. 

Going off the premise that this year the 4th rd is equal to last years 6th rd.  Am i saying draft 3 guys no.  The Maybin and Williams drafts All the picks were getting long looks at playing time.  The team now there is a possability not 1 pick starts thats a major differance.  Comparing the franchises worst first rd to one of the franchises best middle rd pick is laughable as well.

Edited by Mat68

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is definitely shallower. Other I'd say than receiver where I think there is depth. No depth at running back, questionable depth at corner and while it is a deep offensive tackle class I think if you want one you better take them by mid 3rd because I think we could see as many as 14 or 15 tackles go off the board in the first 75 picks. There are not many developmental tackles I like once you get past that. 

I definitely agree with you about the tackles, by the 4th anyone who can turn into anything will be long gone.  There are about an avg of 6 corners taken in the 1st round in the last 10 years of drafts, so I'd say we are about par for the course this year, I just think after the top 6 there is still some quality to be had, probably no HOF'ers but you can get a good developmental guy, a zone guy, a slot guy in rounds 3-6.  WR is real deep, have you taken a look at Tutu?  probably a round 1-2 guy, or a Tylan Williams, Jaelon Darden guys I think will be around in rounds 3 and 4, other names I'm hearing or guys that could be sleepers late; Fehoko, Collins, Baker, Watkins.