The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...

Logic

Sorry, I am greedy. Everything you all basically recommend this draft, Beane better get.. I want 2-3 of them to be starters this year, and the rest within 2 years. We need to dominate the Chiefs, Bucs, whoever gets in our way. Only happens if we also draft very well and fill in every nook and cranny with studs, not average Joes or duds. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Alim McNeil please.

2 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

How about Alim McNeill?

I mentioned him before.  I think Bucky Brooks has him rated as the best run-stopping DT in the draft.

32 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think those are nice aspirational goals, but I think overly ambitious in this class.  1T, in particular, looks bleak.  CB has a number of players with upside and question marks.  WR at 30 like Terrace Marshall may be best bet for a “safe” player.

If we came out of the first 3 rounds with:

1 of Bateman, Dyami, Marshall, Elijah, Eskeridge,  Wallace or Collins 

+ 1 of farley, Newsome, Campbell, stokes, Joseph, melifonwu, Adebo or Williams 

+ 1 of Jaelen Phillips, Ossai, Rousseau, Paye, Perkins Turner, Basham, Tryon, smith, roche or Jones

then trade into rd 4 and grab a 1T (or draft McNeil in rd 2) and draft:

Tufele, shelvin, brown, Wilson or slaton

Wishful thinking, I know.  There are some options, I just think it would have to involve trading back from 30 then trading up again, maybe twice 

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

+ 1 of Jaelen Phillips, Ossai, Rousseau, Paye, Perkins Turner, Basham, Tryon, smith, roche or Jones

Wishful thinking, I know.  There are some options, I just think it would have to involve trading back from 30 then trading up again, maybe twice 

More than wishful...

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I mentioned him before.  I think Bucky Brooks has him rated as the best run-stopping DT in the draft.

He's a run stuffer who gives a lot of upside as a pass rusher. He could realistically play 1T or 3T. 

This Cover one account just did a whole vid essay on him. Good stuff. He's my wish at DT. 

He's not a long DT, but he's a little dynamo in the middle and just keeps pushing forward. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm a fan of having athletes all over the field, and despite being a big guy McNeill is actually very athletic, good balance, short space quickness, good first step, uses his hands well for where he is projected.  He could be a real nice piece if we can figure out where to take him, late 2nd early 3rd might work but pulling the trigger at the right time is super important.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Haha wishful thinking I'll say, but it is possible but we'd have to trade back into the 2nd or 3rd to make sure.

11 minutes ago, just1hugheser said:

I'm a fan of having athletes all over the field, and despite being a big guy McNeill is actually very athletic, good balance, short space quickness, good first step, uses his hands well for where he is projected.  He could be a real nice piece if we can figure out where to take him, late 2nd early 3rd might work but pulling the trigger at the right time is super important.

Haha wishful thinking I'll say, but it is possible but we'd have to trade back into the 2nd or 3rd to make sure.

It’s not crazy to think we can’t get:

Tyson Campbell rd 1, Eskeridge rd 2, Patrick Jones rd 3.  

Marshall, best pass rusher available, adebo/Williams.

Best pass rusher, Melifonwu, tylan wallace.

there are planets of options and plenty of other players.  

but yeah, the likelihood of us drafting those 3 positions with our first 3 picks is what’s unlikely, even though they are all needs 

6 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Someone who can get to the QB consistently. I know this draft isn’t deep for pass rushers. Work your magic Beane. We may need to move up from 30...

conversely, that guy could be hiding in the 2-3 round if we can't trade up.  (i.e. Toney from PSU, Basham from Wake Forest, or Weaver form Pitt).  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’s not crazy to think we can’t get:

Tyson Campbell rd 1, Eskeridge rd 2, Patrick Jones rd 3.  

Marshall, best pass rusher available, adebo/Williams.

Best pass rusher, Melifonwu, tylan wallace.

there are planets of options and plenty of other players.  

but yeah, the likelihood of us drafting those 3 positions with our first 3 picks is what’s unlikely, even though they are all needs 

I like Wallace a lot.  Watching his highlights, he reminds me of Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Since we were limited in free agency because of the lower salary cap, one of the only sources of improvement will need to come from rookies who are better than incumbent players currently on the team.

I counter that the main source of improvement will come from players on the roster taking the next step.

Specifically, Ed Oliver, A.J. Epenesa, Dawson Knox and Cody Ford.  Those four hit the next level the Bills will hit next level with them.

Edited by purple haze
  • Agree 2

I would like to hear one of the following 5 names with their first round pick:

Kwity Paye, Caleb Farley, Zaven Collins, Etienne, or Harris 

2nd Round I would like to hear one of the 5 following names:

Jabril Cox, Friermuth, Brevin Jordan, Dylan Moses, or Asante Samuel

Rounds 3-7: best 1T, and best players available matched with need that weren't filled with picks in Rounds 1 or 2.

Basically give me two starters from either DE/CB/RB/TE/LB in the first two rounds.

Give me a DT, a versatile OL, and whatever front office feels is best with rest of picks.

Just now, purple haze said:

I counter that THE source of improvement will come from players on the roster taking the next step.

Specifically, Ed Oliver, A.J. Epenesa, Dawson Knox and Cody Ford.  Those four hit the next level the Bills will hit next level with them.

This!

This is part of the 'process' that people don't necessarily think about because we have not been a developmental organization in the past and 

frankly it is easier from an outside looking in perspective and also for lazier GM's and Coaches to bring in a new toy than to continue to coach/teach/develop players that are already on the roster especially older players(not really our situation but goes to point).

Based on our coaching staff, the progress that has been made by other players on the team and the mitigating circumstances of the 2020 season and just looking at the season itself ie playing people out of position because the staff incorrectly thought someone on the roster could step in adequately for Star and hold two gaps/demand double teams and keep interior olinemen from getting to the next level.  It is my belief that the staff will learn from their mistake and make the necessary adjustments in scheme based on personnel or bring in the proper personnel so the loss of one player doesn't have such a domino effect on the rest of the defense.

I'm in the camp that they will fix these errors thus allowing AJ, Ed and really everyone along the front to play to their strengths, this should also free up our LB's too allowing them to play faster instead of having to wait and react so much.

I see major steps forward for AJ, Ed, Tremaine, Addison, Phillips, Butler- Aj, Ed, Addison, Butler can focus on their primary skill sets as penetrating linemen, Tremaine will be fully healthy and be kept more clean, Phillips plain ole needs to step his game up and be a guy that can fill in for Star.  Phillips play/injury really hurt us early on which is why I think the staff were forced to see what Zimmer had, I will give him some credit though as he, like the whole defense, played much better 2nd half of the season. 

On offense, Knox obviously has to fix the drop issue also needs to up his blocking and polish his route running but overall like many of our younger players his flashes of 'brillance' need to become more commonplace, they need to be more consistent which is part of learning how to be a pro.  Ford much like Phillips on the defensive side really needs to step up and take that guard spot and make it his and then bring that consistently for 4 qtrs / 17+ games.

This is why I believe we need to bring in another 0/1 tech because if Phillips can't cut it we are right where we were last year, same with Ford and bringing in at least one interior olinemen who can play both guard spots and center.  Luckily for us this is a deep draft for C/G interior olinemen, however the opposite is true of 0/1 techs on defense, but there are a few guys that could come in and clog the middle right away, the bonus would be getting an athlete who can also develop a pass rush from the interior.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I know you asked for a specific position but I could be satisfied if it were any 1 of these 3 positions. 2 of them I don’t believe or expect to come to fruition and that would be my 2nd and 3rd suggestion.

1. a monster pass rusher for obvious reasons.

2. not to beat an old drum but you did say what would a person want and that would be a huge upgrade at MLB. Edmunds is way too passive for my liking amongst a few other reasons for this desire.

3. a big time RB. While I like Singletary and Moss I just don’t think having 2 RBs like them will be that productive. If I were to choose between the 2 I think I would prefer Moss over Singletary. It’s really not a knock on Singletary, he’s an exciting RB but he’s not a big time RB, he’d be a great compliment to one. 

4 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

I feel like what we need is depth and developmental guys who should turn into good starters down the road.  A great situation to be in, where we should truly be able to focus on BPA.

Agree in principle. Most of us get too hung up on high expectations for drafted players in year one. The draft is much more about keeping the roster stocked with a pipeline of young, affordable talent who can become productive alongside the higher paid vets (and hopefully, eventually replace them). 

I guess guys drafted on day one should at least compete for starting roles in most cases. Day two guys should increasingly be suiting up and showing up on game days by the second half of the season.