The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...

Logic

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I was reflecting on the various positions of need for the Bills today, and it occurred to me that the one thing I REALLY hope they come out of the draft with is a quality 1T defensive tackle. 

We all hope that Star Lotulelei returns at full strength this year and that Harrison Phillips takes a step forward that provides some hope that he can be the long term 1T for the Bills. Hope is not a strategy, however. In my opinion, the Bills direly need to draft a legitimate 1T prospect this year, let him learn the ropes under Star for a year and have a rotational role, and take over the primary spot next year, allowing them to move on from Star next year if they wish.

I have seen how much of an effect a good 1T can have on the McDermott defense overall. I have seen how much the LACK of a good 1T has had a noticeably detrimental effect on the defense overall. In order for players like Ed Oliver, AJ Epenesa, Tremaine Edmunds, and Matt Milano -- ie the young core that our defense will likely be built around for the next few years -- to thrive fully, I believe a good 1T is necessary.

This does not mean I view it as the biggest need or that I want the Bills to draft one in the first round. It simply means that, when the draft has come and gone, one way or the other, I want the Bills to have acquired a good young tackle prospect.

What about you? Complete the sentence: "The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...". Elaborate if you wish, or don't. Name specific players if you want, or don't. But limit it to one thing. We all know and can generally agree on the list of Bills needs. I want to know what ONE thing you, specifically, want to make sure the Bills acquire on draft weekend.

When I read this I was confusing 1T and 3T in my head and was so lost at first haha.

But overall I agree a lot.  I think a good 1T/0T in football is very similar to an OL in the sense that the impact from the good ones doesn't really show up on their individual stat sheets directly.  For example, you can measure an OL in how bad they are by things like sacks allowed and penalties committed, but stats that measure how good they are as players are harder to come across and evaluate. 

However, like a good OL, the impact of a good 1T/0T in football is undeniable.  They may not produce many sacks or TFLs (or in some cases not even that many tackles), but the good ones demand attention in order to negate this impact and this itself has a secondary impact all its own.  Shutdown corners also come to mind in that they might not produce many individual stats because of their reputation, but at the same time that reputation is affecting the opposing offense's entire game plan.  How do you even "measure" something like that directly despite the impact being so obvious?

Like a good OL, a good 1T/0T provides an overall team benefit in the aggregate.  Again, such impact is difficult to measure directly, but the impact is most certainly there when inferred from things like team rankings in certain statistical categories over a large span of games.  

I recall Bill Polian talking about how to build teams and what his key, premium positions were.  Iirc, he listed 4:  QB, LT, CB, and pass rusher.  Personally, I would add 1T/0T and C to that list.  And if you think about it, those are the positions that can produce the most intangible benefits to your team in the aggregate.  Those are the positions that can most make the other positions around them better.  

So yes, I think a dominant 1T for this defense is critical to keeping this unit an elite one for years.  Depth is good too, and Philips can still be a solid contributor.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I want the Bills to come out of this draft with a stud player at a key position (pass rusher, LT, CB1, WR1).     It's always that way.    This is primary purpose of the draft.

They pay the directors, scouts and coaches to find and develop players at part time positions like DT1T.

As for what I think would be in the big picture, best interest of the team..........getting a player who can help make Josh Allen much more effective downfield.........a big, fast, huge catch radius WR.    I don't see it happening unless it's a 5th round or later flyer but IMO that is of long term importance for the trajectory of Allen.     

It'd be pretty sweet if Terrence Marshall was there at 30. I think he would round out the WR group very nicely. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

It'd be pretty sweet if Terrence Marshall was there at 30. I think he would round out the WR group very nicely. 

Fans get overly focused on patching "on paper" holes in the offseason. 

The Chiefs CRUISED to 15-1 with basically no LB corps and their CB1 was a replacement level player who is still unsigned in free agency.    And they probably win their second straight SB if not for the OL injuries.   Being undeniably great on offense........threatening defenses over the entirety of the field......... is more important than some sort of perceived personnel balance on both sides of the ball.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

Alim McNeil please. 

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Fans get overly focused on patching "on paper" holes in the offseason. 

The Chiefs CRUISED to 15-1 with basically no LB corps and their CB1 was a replacement level player who is still unsigned in free agency.    And they probably win their second straight SB if not for the OL injuries.   Being undeniably great on offense........threatening defenses over the entirety of the field......... is more important than some sort of perceived personnel balance on both sides of the ball.

They just got crushed by a very balanced team.... this argument is stupid. If the chiefs have a good defense and aren’t playing the whole game from behind they can work around the OL issues. It’s 60 minutes, both sides of the field. Anytime someone tries to make one side the priority and completely ignore the other side they end up getting beat.

• Like (+1) 3

A good WR, preferably a guy with a lot of speed. Beasley and Sanders are on the wrong side of 30, and Sanders is on a one year deal. This is a great draft for WRs. Draft a WR this year, give him his rookie year to develop, then have him take the place of Sanders. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

I want them to trade back out of round 1 into round 2 stacking some future draft capital.  There will still be a number of high quality CBS on the board into the mid second round, and I think teams like moving up into the the back of the 1st round to pick players by 1st round picks allow for the 5th year option.  So I think it’s plausible and I don’t think the bills will lose out on a quality player at the position they are likely to fill at some point early in the draft, CB.

stacking capital for next year could help us move up for a prime pass-rush prospect.  It doesn’t look likely they will get one this year and next year the need will be even more pressing than it already is as Hughes might be winding down.  

It's going to be tough moving up from the 32nd spot...

5 things: 1) a replacement 1 tech DT for Star in 2022 used as a rotational player in 2021 as he learns: 2) a replacement for Mitch Morse in 2022 used as  a backup in 2021 at both G and C 3) a backup for Milano with the same skill set. Last year was tough when Milano was out; 4) CB2 high in the draft; 5) a developmental speed option WR or RB

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Alim McNeil please. 

They just got crushed by a very balanced team.... this argument is stupid. If the chiefs have a good defense and aren’t playing the whole game from behind they can work around the OL issues. It’s 60 minutes, both sides of the field. Anytime someone tries to make one side the priority and completely ignore the other side they end up getting beat.

The Chiefs went 17-2 and the Bucs went 15-5........and KC beat them in Tampa during the season.

Too much is made of one game.    The Chiefs were favored for a good reason,  their OL injury issues were just too much to overcome.

You are just wrong about the necessity of roster balance.

It's nice to have but hard to get and harder to sustain.

NE, Seattle, Denver and KC.......the majority of recent SB winners ............didn't win all of those SB's and go to all those championship games because they had roster talent balance............every "on paper" weakness was not prioritized at the expense of areas where they were strong.

• Like (+1) 1

An outstanding pass rusher.  The Super Bowl reinforced to me how critical that is as the Bucs swarmed Mahomes continually.  Our pass rush has been weak in big games.  Not sure if Epenesa is one of those guys yet and the other two are well into their '30s.  Beane has shown that he can buy competent CB, WR, OL help if necessary, but finding great pass rush outside the draft is very tough.  That's what we need to get to next level...

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

For me, the only defensive players I would be ok with in round one are Kwity Paye and Caleb Farley. Of course guys like Surtain and Parsons would be great but they will be gone. 

I told a guy the other day that my bold prediction for the draft is Paye starts to slide and Beane makes a small jump to get him. He offers something we don’t already have at the position. Speed and twitch. I could also see Farley being the guy if he slips due to injury. 

Other than that, give me offense all day.  We are a pass first offense and Beasley is on the last year of his deal and Sanders is only signed for this year. Need to think ahead. Guys like Kadarius Toney and Elijah Moore are very intriguing and would shore up that offense for the next 4-5 years after Beasley and Sanders. I also think someone like Etienne or Harris might be in play. 

1 hour ago, Playoff Win said:

A good WR, preferably a guy with a lot of speed. Beasley and Sanders are on the wrong side of 30, and Sanders is on a one year deal. This is a great draft for WRs. Draft a WR this year, give him his rookie year to develop, then have him take the place of Sanders. 

Also...Beasley is on the last year of his deal. Slot receiver is a huge need after this year. Not to mention that our success last year was mostly due to the passing attack. Can’t let it become a weak point...

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They'd pass. As much as I'd love the pick I can't see them going WR in round 1. They'll go defense as they usually do. 

I think if people were a little more realistic and accepted that there is a very good chance that the teams first and second round picks will not have a major impact on the field as rookies.........then there would be more acceptance of the concept of picking the players who provide the best long term benefit.

The reality is that at least half of first round picks fail to meet expectations..........as evidenced by the 5th year option data.    It isn't going to be any better in round 2.   The objective should be to come out of the annual process of drafting with the most long term value to your organization.    If you are trying to fill a position in round 2 with a player that only plays 2 downs or gets taken off the field on obvious passing downs.......on either side of the ball.........then you are definitely doing this the wrong way.:lol:

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Also...Beasley is on the last year of his deal. Slot receiver is a huge need after this year. Not to mention that our success last year was mostly due to the passing attack. Can’t let it become a weak point...

Cole is on contract through the 2022 season.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I was reflecting on the various positions of need for the Bills today, and it occurred to me that the one thing I REALLY hope they come out of the draft with is a quality 1T defensive tackle. 

We all hope that Star Lotulelei returns at full strength this year and that Harrison Phillips takes a step forward that provides some hope that he can be the long term 1T for the Bills. Hope is not a strategy, however. In my opinion, the Bills direly need to draft a legitimate 1T prospect this year, let him learn the ropes under Star for a year and have a rotational role, and take over the primary spot next year, allowing them to move on from Star next year if they wish.

I have seen how much of an effect a good 1T can have on the McDermott defense overall. I have seen how much the LACK of a good 1T has had a noticeably detrimental effect on the defense overall. In order for players like Ed Oliver, AJ Epenesa, Tremaine Edmunds, and Matt Milano -- ie the young core that our defense will likely be built around for the next few years -- to thrive fully, I believe a good 1T is necessary.

This does not mean I view it as the biggest need or that I want the Bills to draft one in the first round. It simply means that, when the draft has come and gone, one way or the other, I want the Bills to have acquired a good young tackle prospect.

What about you? Complete the sentence: "The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...". Elaborate if you wish, or don't. Name specific players if you want, or don't. But limit it to one thing. We all know and can generally agree on the list of Bills needs. I want to know what ONE thing you, specifically, want to make sure the Bills acquire on draft weekend.

I would like to see a good young C/G prospect.  Similar logic to yours - someone who can challenge for a starting G spot and learn from the vets and be our C in 1-2 years.  Again, not saying draft at #30, but come out of the draft with.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...With the 30th pick in the 2021

Draft, the Buffalo Bills select Alabama running back Najee Harris.

1295880345.0.jpg

2021 NFL mock draft: Buffalo Bills select RB Najee Harris By Jeremy Reisman and Erik Schlitt

Heard Najee interviewed on Sirius NFL 88 today.  Was surprised when he reminded us that . . .

Daboll was his OC for his first 2 years in college.  Might say a LOT if we Dont pick him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Drafting 3 players that help us win a SB.

A stud at cb, 1T and WR would be nice 

I think those are nice aspirational goals, but I think overly ambitious in this class.  1T, in particular, looks bleak.  CB has a number of players with upside and question marks.  WR at 30 like Terrace Marshall may be best bet for a “safe” player.

• Like (+1) 1