The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...

Logic

I was reflecting on the various positions of need for the Bills today, and it occurred to me that the one thing I REALLY hope they come out of the draft with is a quality 1T defensive tackle. 

We all hope that Star Lotulelei returns at full strength this year and that Harrison Phillips takes a step forward that provides some hope that he can be the long term 1T for the Bills. Hope is not a strategy, however. In my opinion, the Bills direly need to draft a legitimate 1T prospect this year, let him learn the ropes under Star for a year and have a rotational role, and take over the primary spot next year, allowing them to move on from Star next year if they wish.

I have seen how much of an effect a good 1T can have on the McDermott defense overall. I have seen how much the LACK of a good 1T has had a noticeably detrimental effect on the defense overall. In order for players like Ed Oliver, AJ Epenesa, Tremaine Edmunds, and Matt Milano -- ie the young core that our defense will likely be built around for the next few years -- to thrive fully, I believe a good 1T is necessary.

This does not mean I view it as the biggest need or that I want the Bills to draft one in the first round. It simply means that, when the draft has come and gone, one way or the other, I want the Bills to have acquired a good young tackle prospect.

What about you? Complete the sentence: "The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...". Elaborate if you wish, or don't. Name specific players if you want, or don't. But limit it to one thing. We all know and can generally agree on the list of Bills needs. I want to know what ONE thing you, specifically, want to make sure the Bills acquire on draft weekend.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5

The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is a new starting QB. Allen had 21 dropped INTs, and that’s unacceptable. 

In reality though, I hope we come out with an impact starting player. No clue who that is as I did not watch much college, and have paid less attention to the draft this year as any other year I can remember. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

At least a couple of players that can meaningfully contribute immediately.  The Bills are a good team, but need to be better than last year.  Since we were limited in free agency because of the lower salary cap, one of the only sources of improvement will need to come from rookies who are better than incumbent players currently on the team.

I want the Bills to come out of this draft with a stud player at a key position (pass rusher, LT, CB1, WR1).     It's always that way.    This is primary purpose of the draft.

They pay the directors, scouts and coaches to find and develop players at part time positions like DT1T.

As for what I think would be in the big picture, best interest of the team..........getting a player who can help make Josh Allen much more effective downfield.........a big, fast, huge catch radius WR.    I don't see it happening unless it's a 5th round or later flyer but IMO that is of long term importance for the trajectory of Allen.     

• Like (+1) 2

I can't remember the last time the Bills have gone into the draft with no gapping holes that demand filling.

There is a good number of positions that could use upgrading and that makes it much closer to a BPA draft then I have ever seen.

My hope is that the first 3 picks are hits no matter what the positions are and a hit with one of the 5ths would be huge. 

I hope the draft comes to you Mr. Beane and Good Luck!

• Agree 2

The one thing I hope we come out of the draft with is...With the 30th pick in the 2021

Draft, the Buffalo Bills select Alabama running back Najee Harris.

1295880345.0.jpg

2021 NFL mock draft: Buffalo Bills select RB Najee Harris By Jeremy Reisman and Erik Schlitt

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

I want them to trade back out of round 1 into round 2 stacking some future draft capital.  There will still be a number of high quality CBs on the board into the mid second round, and I think teams like moving up into the the back of the 1st round to pick players bc 1st round picks allow for the 5th year option.  So I think it’s plausible and I don’t think the bills will lose out on a quality player at the position they are likely to fill at some point early in the draft, CB.

stacking capital for next year could help us move up for a prime pass-rush prospect.  It doesn’t look likely they will get one this year and next year the need will be even more pressing than it already is as Hughes might be winding down.  

Edited by Bill Murray
  • Like (+1) 2