NFL Football Operations @NFLFootballOps · Apr 16 The 2021 Offseason Program will run for nine weeks with Phase One starting April 19.

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

Yo.  This thread is for discussing team/player reactions about NFL OTAs, which are scheduled to start........TOMORROW

If you don't or can't understand the difference between discussing team/player reactions and NFL protocols, vs injecting in your personal views about The Covids, masking, testing, vaccines etc .....please don't post in this thread.

NFLPA Twitter posting team statements.

So far, MANY of the 49ers are all apprehensive about the Covids. 

The Saints are about injury reduction - no mention of the Covids

The MAJORITY of  Bears are about covid and Injury reduction, and the NFL didn't communicate their protocols clearly, those slackers!

The Ravens are all about Solidarity with the NFLPA (sounds like all of 'em).  No excuses, this is how we roll.

The Browns are a smorgasboard, all about everything.

So are the Giants.

The Raiders, like the Bears, appear to be waffles - they respect players on their team and across the league who have contractual incentives to workout, but (?) are they all gonna hold out, or some will hold out and some will work out?  I read their statement and I have no idea.

The Steelers are also complaining about unclear safety protocols

Don't take my word for it, read 'em for yourselves.

I most respect the player statements which reference injury statistics like the Saints, or cite no reasons at all - like the Ravens.

I think that's the bottom line - the veteran players have never liked OTAs and the Covids are just their excuse to push to get rid of 'em.

But, it does sound as though communication from the NFL about protocols has been late and lacking and that's part of the concern.

image.thumb.png.67658e6c07b95d4ceae12bdcb9cded6f.png

image.thumb.png.303b03f8987d939f3b00abb96c533e84.png

image.thumb.png.b1fcafc4966ddb33d4ccbbe3e5ea3c0e.png

At least the saints are more honest:

image.thumb.png.2527687116de091a4bccd090a6a86ced.png

image.thumb.png.fa870c9364efb24742c17bafd488d2b0.png

image.thumb.png.bd681d728bbb5df15d53278594fceeee.png

image.thumb.png.70570f889027d87e2c892a183308facd.png

image.thumb.png.6e888e63787083db180b695134971e10.png

image.png

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I heard them discussing on Locked on NFL podcast that the Bills lead the league on contracts that have workout incentives (28). That may influence their team position on in-person OTAs 

Many of the statements reference data shared by the NFLPA on injuries last year vs previous seasons.

Have any of those data been made available to the public?  On the Twitters maybe?

I find it interesting because I know a lot of these guys are doing just crazy workouts on their own, so it's kinda strange to think that the team facilities would cause more injuries. 

I'd just like to know what the real deal is.  Is it overall, and maybe the injuries happen to the guys who don't work out on their own like demons, but come up against guys that do?  Or is it that when the players are in charge of their own workouts and on their own home turf, they do a better job of R&R? 

Or are the data manipulated to support the NFLPA position?

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Many of the statements reference data shared by the NFLPA on injuries last year vs previous seasons.

Have any of those data been made available to the public?  On the Twitters maybe?

I find it interesting because I know a lot of these guys are doing just crazy workouts on their own, so it's kinda strange to think that the team facilities would cause more injuries. 

I'd just like to know what the real deal is.  Is it overall, and maybe the injuries happen to the guys who don't work out on their own like demons, but come up against guys that do?  Or is it that when the players are in charge of their own workouts and on their own home turf, they do a better job of R&R? 

One issue with doing the workouts away from the facility is that they aren’t covered for injury (?). I don’t know the specifics behind that other than they were talking about the risk behind it. On the other hand some prefer their personal trainers because they gave their, not the team’s, best interest in mind.

Any word from the Bills players Rep on the players thoughts on this? 

Could be an opportunity to get ahead of some other teams with the new seasons schemes/concepts.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Get your asses back to work...I’ve been working since day 1 of Covid, and these guys are making millions...stop the whining and complaining...it comes off as pathetic...

Training at the team facility is likely safer than going to a public gym/ workout facility,  but what the hell do I know...,😁 I’m just an opinionated first worlder, and should likely be ignored by everyone.., 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I did read the other day, I believe it was the NFLPA, that the amount of playing time lost due to injury last year was down 25%.  Sorry no link.  I know I suck.

23 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I did read the other day, I believe it was the NFLPA, that the amount of playing time lost due to injury last year was down 25%.  Sorry no link.  I know I suck.

I'd never say you suck, but like I said, a lot of these guys are doing absolutely insane workouts away from the facility - check out Poyer's insta or zee_thoven (Isaiah McKenzie).  So is it because of no OTAs, or a specific part of the OTAs that raise the injury rate, or ??  Or is it because without the facility, the players actually worked out harder and showed up in better shape?

Be good to know.

48 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Sounds like it is time to get back to football 

Let's go buffalo 

And stop being a crybaby

I respect the teams that say we looked at the data and without OTAs injuries were down so we don't wanna do OTAs, or who just didn't give a reason.

28 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Training at the team facility is likely safer than going to a public gym/ workout facility,  but what the hell do I know...,😁 I’m just an opinionated first worlder, and should likely be ignored by everyone.., 😁

For all I know these guys, especially the wealthy ones, may be working out during hours when their facility is closed to everyone else or only open to a handful of other pros, and of course neither of us know what precautions they take or don't take. 

But for the guys who are at the bottom of the roster just trying to earn a spot I suspect it's a huge disadvantage not to have OTAs, the team's trainers may be better and the facilities/programs better than what they could afford on their own and of course the extra chance to learn the plays and get some face time with the coaches helps.

• Like (+1) 3

image.thumb.png.bc22cf8fbacb10037b561e2ea9519bcd.png

Sounds like the "Eagles" think solidarity means all the players acting together

Sounds like the "Jets" have an....interesting definition of solidarity

image.thumb.png.9cb562c6488694af24154bc045445b42.png

So...."many of us" stand in solidarity after "every player makes a decision about what is best for him"?

Guys, guys, guys....🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/bills-can-begin-offseason-program-on-monday?utm_campaign=sharebutton&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=WGRAM

Like all NFL teams, the Buffalo Bills are allowed to begin Phase 1 of their off-season program on Monday.

Typically, Phase 1 of the nine-week program lasts two weeks. However, the NFL sent a memo to all teams last week stating that Phase 1 will be four weeks long this year, ending on May 14, with Phase 2 beginning May 17.

While the players of several teams have released statements via the Player’s Association stating either their entire team will boycott or many on their roster will not participate in these voluntary workouts, there has been nothing released by Bills players as of Sunday evening.

Also in the memo were several changes to how workouts may be conducted during Phase 1 this season. Teams may conduct up to two hours of directed activity each day, but all meetings must be conducted virtually.

Players may work out in the weight room on a voluntary basis under the direction of the team’s strength and conditioning coaches, with no more than 10 players at a time. No more than 20 players are allowed at the same time inside the team facilities.

There is no on-field work allowed during Phase 1, except for players who elect to work out on their own during normal business hours, but with no footballs or coaches allowed.

TBH, it seems to me from this that the players would probably get more done and be in better shape, participating in virtual meetings but staying in their own home towns where most of them seem to be set up with gyms, training programs etc. 

If no more than 10 players at a time are allowed to work out, and there are 70 players currently on the squad, then it would take 7 hrs just for everyone to get in a mere hour long workout.

If no more than 20 players at a time are even allowed in the facility, it's not even going to be an easy time for new players to get to know their teammates.

21 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Get your asses back to work...I’ve been working since day 1 of Covid, and these guys are making millions...stop the whining and complaining...it comes off as pathetic...

I'm sure your job is as risky and prone to serious injury as an NFL player. You shouldn't compare your job and life to a professional athlete. I'm guessing they are a bit different

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm sure your job is as risky and prone to serious injury as an NFL player. You shouldn't compare your job and life to a professional athlete. I'm guessing they are a bit different

Agreed, but that’s why they make millions and I don’t...