Malcolm Koonce, UB? How good is this fellow?

I was listening to a pod with Kiper and Wingo, and they were going through the first 2 rounds.  At one point in round 2, Kiper said, "Malcolm Koonce is still on the board."

I haven't seen him ranked that high.  Is he on the rise?  Have any of you watched him in action?  Is he a good guy for the Bills?

Later round guy from what I’ve seen, lots of speed, probably better as a rush backer in 3-4.

There is no consensus this year. I’ve come across so many guys who I can find people arguing for a day 2 grade for them, and then find another perspective that has him as likely undrafted. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've had the pleasure of watching every snap of his career.. 

And it's nice to see him getting some draft buzz 

Hes definitely ramped up his production the last two seasons, and he has a nice closing burst with some dip and great length

He's kind of a tweener, but he's played with his hand in the dirt majority..  he could be a good developmental 3-4 outside linebacker but will need to improve his strength to play end

I personally thought fifth sixth round and projects as a solid backup

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I think Kiper missed on this one. No one else has him even close to a second round grade. He’s a day 3 pick. Seems as he has some upside. I’d be pretty pissed if we took this guy at 61.

This could be Kiper showing off again.  When Koonce emerges as a solid player in the league, he'll reference this repeatedly as an example of his thoughtful brilliance.   I'd like to see where he mocked Tom Brady.  Probably right where he was taken.

14 hours ago, ColeB said:

FWIW, Lance Zierlien of NFL.COM has him projected as a 3-4 OLB and in the 4th round.

That is pretty much where I have him too. 3-4 edge and early 5th round but could see him sneaking into the 4th. Think earlier is a reach. 

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

I think Kiper missed on this one. No one else has him even close to a second round grade. He’s a day 3 pick. Seems as he has some upside. I’d be pretty pissed if we took this guy at 61.

51 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

This could be Kiper showing off again.  When Koonce emerges as a solid player in the league, he'll reference this repeatedly as an example of his thoughtful brilliance.   I'd like to see where he mocked Tom Brady.  Probably right where he was taken.

This isn’t Kiper missing or showing off. He’s done this dance for a decade + now. It’s all about promoting the later rounds and making it seem like every draft is 7 rounds deep (why ESPN hasn’t already done a UDFA special I’m no sure, but feels like we’re getting there). 

While Mel Kiper may be the founding member of the draftnik community, he’s content on espn is solely to drive engagement and interest in ESPN’s draft coverage now. Anything of him should be taken as solely marketing fluff and not valid or genuine analysis.