New Car Purchase Help (Update Purchased!)

qwksilver

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough.  IMO, things will cost us more. In long run we'll pay more...

Get that break even point under 5 years, even better 3 and we're in business.

Look how they have us hooked on cellphones.  Barely end up paying it off if lucky and thing goes bad.  They will work obsolescence into cars.

I will believe it when I see it.  We are land of unintended consequences!

My wife works all day in her car. Idling all day in her ICE car is something we both hated. 

Appreciate your judgments on our decision though.

BTW way more fun to drive than equivalent ICE. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

My wife works all day in her car. Idling all day in her ICE car is something we both hated. 

Appreciate your judgments on our decision though.

BTW way more fun to drive than equivalent ICE. 

Yeah, you're right.  Sorry for judgement.  I wish they'd eliminate the EV premium.   It's what is really discouraging people, IMO

Then car insurance goes up 23%!

https://www.valuepenguin.com/how-having-electric-car-affects-your-auto-insurance-rates

"On average, we found that car insurance for an electric vehicle is about 23% more expensive than the cost for the equivalent combustion model."

"Why is there a difference?

One major factor why car insurance premiums are higher may be that the cost of the vehicles are higher. Electric vehicles tend to be filled with cutting-edge technology like high-capacity batteries, sophisticated sensors, and more. The more a vehicle costs, the more expensive it is to repair."

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah, you're right.  Sorry for judgement.  I wish they'd eliminate the EV premium.   It's what is really discouraging people, IMO

Then car insurance goes up 23%!

https://www.valuepenguin.com/how-having-electric-car-affects-your-auto-insurance-rates

"On average, we found that car insurance for an electric vehicle is about 23% more expensive than the cost for the equivalent combustion model."

"Why is there a difference?

One major factor why car insurance premiums are higher may be that the cost of the vehicles are higher. Electric vehicles tend to be filled with cutting-edge technology like high-capacity batteries, sophisticated sensors, and more. The more a vehicle costs, the more expensive it is to repair."

Ours didn't for what it's worth. 

It's a 31K car with the top level trim. She puts 20-25K miles on it a year so our I ce break even on green living is a couple years but that was not the driver. I figure less issues in the ev car than an ice and the battery replacement is something you see coming years in advance. It doesn't just happen.

Prices will drop a lot. The days of ICE are waning but you'll see Wranglers broken down on the sides of the road for years and old gearheads will be slow adopters, which is cool. Each his own. 

A couple interesting observations having driven several EV cars in the test driving process:

(1) Single pedal driving is an easy change. My car is a stick and I love driving it but there's something to be said in going from 3 pedals to a single pedal. It's pretty relaxing. My wife is a Luddite and made the switch in 5 minutes. Good bye brake pedal. 

(2) The autopilot driving on the Tesla is awesome. We did a 20 minute test drive. It was changing lanes on the highway, did a suburban road with tons of twists. All on autopilot. That technology is coming and it's fantastic. The highway and larger road driving is already here on the Teslas and some GMs (not the bolt) in some forms but we are not that far from turn by turn door to door. Driving in the Tesla, whether it was driving or I was driving, I never felt so safe. It's like having a 12-eyed supersmart co-pilot there to help. The price is steep and they don't have much of a service network but otherwise, it's really cool to see an American car company leading the way. When I give up my GTI, it will be because I am eager for this feature and so will pass my last manual transmission car!

(3) Charging stations and network was the biggest stress going into this because she drives so much. Been zero issue. If we need to make a long drive, we will have to plan a little differently but it won't be hard, just different. The only trick would be if we drive it to the ADKs or somewhere where the network isn't as built out and there might not be 240V residential charging, even there, we could make it work. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

(3) Charging stations and network was the biggest stress going into this because she drives so much. Been zero issue. If we need to make a long drive, we will have to plan a little differently but it won't be hard, just different. The only trick would be if we drive it to the ADKs or somewhere where the network isn't as built out and there might not be 240V residential charging, even there, we could make it work. 

How far up into the ADKs?  I live off of Exit 18 of the Northway.  There is a brand new rest area a couple miles before the exit, going North, and it has 4-5 charging stations in it.  At least one of them is a "quick charge," which I know because my neighbor uses it on his way home every day to save his own electricity, LOL.  There's also 4-5 Tesla charging stations at the Aviation Mall (Exit 19), which is a little bizarre since that mall is on life support.

North of that, I'm really not sure what's available, but I'd be shocked if the neighboring counties' tourism boards have not been/will be way out in front of this.  They know who their visitors are ($$$).

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

How far up into the ADKs?  I live off of Exit 18 of the Northway.  There is a brand new rest area a couple miles before the exit, going North, and it has 4-5 charging stations in it.  At least one of them is a "quick charge," which I know because my neighbor uses it on his way home every day to save his own electricity, LOL.  There's also 4-5 Tesla charging stations at the Aviation Mall (Exit 19), which is a little bizarre since that mall is on life support.

North of that, I'm really not sure what's available, but I'd be shocked if the neighboring counties' tourism boards have not been/will be way out in front of this.  They know who their visitors are ($$$).

Southwest, near Inlet NY. 30 minutes east of Old Forge. Big Moose Lake specifically. There's a Tesla charging station in Old Forge but Tesla's network is not currently compatible with the fast charging CCS standard that is the norm in the US and Europe or the chademo standard that you'll find on Japanese cars like the Leaf. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

At least one of them is a "quick charge," which I know because my neighbor uses it on his way home every day to save his own electricity, LOL. 

Quick-charging once in a while (like on a long trip) is OK, but frequent fast-charging can shorten a battery's life. In the long run, the cost of trickle-charging at home might be more economical.

https://thenextweb.com/news/scientists-fast-charging-destroys-electric-vehicle-batteries-tesla-panasonic

https://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/fast-charging-can-damage-electric-car-batteries-in-just-25-cycles

Just now, WhoTom said:

Quick-charging once in a while (like on a long trip) is OK, but frequent fast-charging can shorten a battery's life. In the long run, the cost of trickle-charging at home might be more economical.

https://thenextweb.com/news/scientists-fast-charging-destroys-electric-vehicle-batteries-tesla-panasonic

https://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/fast-charging-can-damage-electric-car-batteries-in-just-25-cycles

I'd tell my neighbor, but that will turn into 40 minutes of small talk which makes me want to find the nearest cliff and jump.

I'll trust that he learns this on his own.  😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• qwksilver changed the title to New Car Purchase Help (Update Purchased!)

Update. Thanks for all of your thoughts, ideas & tips.

I purchased the car today. I had to find a dealer about 180 miles away (they offered free delivery next week but I went to pickup.) The local dealers all had "Market Adjustments" do to the shortage of this vehicle. I had a TDM coupon (some sort of direct marketing) from the manufacturer. One of the local dealers wouldn't even take it. Other dealers wouldn't even call me back. I'm sure they wanted me show up just to spend 4-6 hours at the dealership. 

Patience is definitely a virtue. Plus no car payment for 3+ months was nice. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Update. Thanks for all of your thoughts, ideas & tips.

I purchased the car today. I had to find a dealer about 180 miles away (they offered free delivery next week but I went to pickup.) The local dealers all had "Market Adjustments" do to the shortage of this vehicle. I had a TDM coupon (some sort of direct marketing) from the manufacturer. One of the local dealers wouldn't even take it. Other dealers wouldn't even call me back. I'm sure they wanted me show up just to spend 4-6 hours at the dealership. 

Patience is definitely a virtue. Plus no car payment for 3+ months was nice. 

What kind of wheels are you rolling around in?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.