194 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills select with the 61st pick

• Jabril Cox, LB, LSU
    • Tyler Shelvin, DT, LSU
    • Elijah Molden Slot corner/S, Washington
    • D’Wayne Eskeridge- WR, central Michigan
    • Quinn Meinerz C/OG Wisconsin-Whitewater

54 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  In hindsight, the Ossai pick, based on the outcome of the 31-60 picks, was a very poor choice.....unless he turns out to be Jerry Hughes 2.0.  

When drafting players, as long as they turn out to be what you’re hoping for (or better than that) than it was a good pick.  While the remaining selections @ 61 are less than appealing to many, if the guy we draft turns out to be a key player for years to come, than he was a great pick.  Regardless of the value and people scouting reports. All of that stuff means nothing.  The only thing that matters is how the player performs.  

Sure, it would be ideal if the BPA, when we select in every round, turned out to play a position of need.  But if it’s not, it’s ok.  That just means you have to spend some FA money on a 1 year deal to patch the hole.  Just don’t reach on a player because you need to fill the position.  There are other ways to fill it.  Just draft good players and you’ll be fine.

But when does he play?  This year, next year, the year after?  We played nickel 91% of our defensive snaps last season.  Tops in the league.  McD isn’t taking Edmunds off the field.  He’s not taking Milano off the field.  Can he play “big nickel”?  Or will he be exploited by the smaller, faster slot WRs?  I know he’s great in coverage, but can he legitimately cover the slot WRs routinely?  if the answer is yes, than I’m all for him as our big nickel.  From what I’ve seen, I’m leaning towards no, but I’m not pro.

We played nickel against 2 wr sets a ton, probably bc they thought Klein was a liability in coverage against RB's and TE's. 

Cox makes his living covering TE's... Plus, what happens if Milano is injured for extended periods? I'm not sold on the backups they brought it. 

He's going to have a pro day on the 26th, I guess we'll see if he's got the speed to play Big Nickel / SS. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

We played nickel against 2 wr sets a ton, probably bc they thought Klein was a liability in coverage against RB's and TE's. 

Cox makes his living covering TE's... Plus, what happens if Milano is injured for extended periods? I'm not sold on the backups they brought it. 

He's going to have a pro day on the 26th, I guess we'll see if he's got the speed to play Big Nickel / SS. 

Yeah, but can lots of teams run lots of 3 WR sets.  Can he cover the slot WRs.  That’s the thing with big nickel.  You need one that can not only cover the TE, but also the slot WRs. Eager to see his hips and fluidity on his pro day.  

good point regarding Milanos injury. I wouldn’t be upset with the pick as I think he does one thing very well (which happens to be something that we are lacking, TE coverage).  

After much back and forth, I voted for D’wayne Eskeridge.  I think he brings the most value to our team.  I have no question about his ability as a WR.  He’s pretty much a can’t miss contributor to our offense for the next 4 years minimum.  He has the speed that we need.  The opposing ads have to know where he is.  He is a handful for any defender 1 on 1.  He’s a verygood run blocker for his size.  He’d be an absolute fan favorite in Buffalo

2 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Best to get CB2, whichever one that is.

It’s really bad value at this point unless you draft  Molden......but he’s not a cb2.  He’s a slot corner/S.  I’d probably have to say adebo or trill Williams would be most ideal.....cb2, but are extreme reaches in rd 2 imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Jabril Cox has no role on our defense. He would just back up Milano. For a 2nd round pick I would hate that.

Completely disagree. He's good in coverage and space and has length and speed. He'd be able to fit the 'Big Nickel' role, IMO.

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, but can lots of teams run lots of 3 WR sets.  Can he cover the slot WRs.  That’s the thing with big nickel.  You need one that can not only cover the TE, but also the slot WRs. Eager to see his hips and fluidity on his pro day.  

good point regarding Milanos injury. I wouldn’t be upset with the pick as I think he does one thing very well (which happens to be something that we are lacking, TE coverage).  

After much back and forth, I voted for D’wayne Eskeridge.  I think he brings the most value to our team.  I have no question about his ability as a WR.  He’s pretty much a can’t miss contributor to our offense for the next 4 years minimum.  He has the speed that we need.  The opposing ads have to know where he is.  He is a handful for any defender 1 on 1.  He’s a verygood run blocker for his size.  He’d be an absolute fan favorite in Buffalo

It’s really bad value at this point unless you draft  Molden......but he’s not a cb2.  He’s a slot corner/S.  I’d probably have to say adebo or trill Williams would be most ideal.....cb2, but are extreme reaches in rd 2 imo

Eskridge is an exciting prospect, but his athletic ability at Western Michigan set him apart a lot more than it will at the NFL level.  I'm not saying he can't/won't be good, just an added consideration when scouting players who played not the best competition.

49 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Completely disagree. He's good in coverage and space and has length and speed. He'd be able to fit the 'Big Nickel' role, IMO.

If he is a LB, isn't that just a 4-3 defense with him on the field with Milano and Edmunds?

I think they have to be careful not to look too hard for a "big nickel".  Sure, if you can get JOK great, but if they are taking someone and force-fitting them into a role that isn't ideal for them, just to say you have a "big nickel" it is a risky proposition.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I change my pick to Hamsah....but ultimately with all of these guys still on the board I would like to trade down a bit and pick up an extra 3rd rounder......I want a third to reserve to get our true 1 tech

I don't think he will go that high, but someone might like him enough to do that.  I'd think maybe late 3rd given he hasn't run due to injury.

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Why can't Milano fill that role? Didn't Milano play safety in his career? That's why I wanted Collins in Rd 1. Edmunds/Collins/Milano would be very intriguing

I’ll cut it to 5 once someone breaks this tie for 5th

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why can't Milano fill that role? Didn't Milano play safety in his career? That's why I wanted Collins in Rd 1. Edmunds/Collins/Milano would be very intriguing

This is just a 4-3.

similar to drafting Cox and playing him in the “big nickel”.  It’s not a big nickel....it’s a 4-3.  Can the player in that “big nickel” position cover WRs in the slot and well as TE’s?  If not, than no.....they can’t really play the position.  Can Milano cover WRs in the slot?  Idk.  Seems to me that it’s always Edmunds being targeted in the pass game.  

If they hadn’t taken Ossai in round 1, I would look at Joe Tryon, Carlos Basham or Ronnie Perkins here.  I know Basham isn’t the gazelle pass rusher that we all want, but I think he can be a good (not great) starting DE and at 61, that would meet reasonable expectations.

16 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If they hadn’t taken Ossai in round 1, I would look at Joe Tryon, Carlos Basham or Ronnie Perkins here.  I know Basham isn’t the gazelle pass rusher that we all want, but I think he can be a good (not great) starting DE and at 61, that would meet reasonable expectations.

Wait. Basham and Tryon are both still available in this mock?! I would take either of them over anyone else on that list.  Can’t have too many guys that can get to the QB.