Marquise Goodwin signed by the Bears

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some have a bit of a soft spot for him because of his family history here.

Personally, I think he Lied like a Rug about his track-n-field plans and suckered the Bills by going on season-ending IR so he could train for the Olympics.  But I wish his family the best.

I really wanted to like him as a Bill, but it was abundantly clear that the Bills were just funding his Olympic dreams and that really pissed me off.

But ... I also have that soft spot that many others do.

All in all, I wish him luck.

40 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Really enjoyed glass being on our team. He is a great guy. 

Not sure why you would attempt to smear his reputation about lieing and faking injury to train for the Olympics. Maybe you could provide some light?

LOL at me "smearing his reputation" while YOU refer to him as "Glass", the nickname given to him for being so often on injury report.

Who are you, his agent or his brother?

It was all over the news before he was drafted, him telling teams and reporters he was focused on football now, determined to show everyone he was a Football Player who used to do track, not a track star trying to do football: "I am 100 percent committed to being a professional football player." As Goodwin told teammates when he walked off the track in London four years ago: “That was my last jump ever.”

In 2015 during the off season, he returned to track and tried to qualify for the World Championships.  It may not be a coincidence that he was injured so much that 2015 season, the training and body composition needs of an elite long jumper and the training and body composition needs of an NFL WR not being entirely the same. 

I'm not saying he was "faking injury" during the 2015 season, but I'm pretty sure it was credibly reported that he started training for the Olympics after he went on IR, before the end of the season.  And it's a fact that he was training for the Olympics during the spring and summer of 2016, while under Football contract for the Bills and forgoing parts of OTAs, minicamp, and training camp to do so not to mention focusing on a different sort of training instead of doing the sort of WR-specific training we see glimpses of Diggs, Gabe Davis, McKenzie etc undergoing.

In 2016, after failing to qualify for the Olympics and in a contract year he buckled down and did enough as an WR to get a 2nd contract.

So yeah, seems pretty clear he was using his Bills salary given to him to play football, to pursue his Olympic track dreams, AFTER telling teams he was "100 percent committed to being a professional football player" and "that was my last jump ever".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, chongli said:

I loved Goodwin's 84-yard TD catch vs. the Jets when he burned Revis. I was so excited when that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqEUD3jJLE

[sorry, NFL won't let me embed this video here]

Also, another Goodwin TD, also vs the Jets:

Nice pass by EJM

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

I do wish Mr. Glass all the best. He is talented and seems like a great guy.

I will say that I have always been amazed at what might have been with him. He seems pretty similar to Tyreek Hill. Maybe not as quick in space, but same body type, fast (or faster), good hands, good route runner. While Hill has ridiculous production, Goodwin has averaged like 20 catches per year during his career. 

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I do wish Mr. Glass all the best. He is talented and seems like a great guy.

I will say that I have always been amazed at what might have been with him. He seems pretty similar to Tyreek Hill. Maybe not as quick in space, but same body type, fast (or faster), good hands, good route runner. While Hill has ridiculous production, Goodwin has averaged like 20 catches per year during his career. 

If that was true, he wouldn't be bouncing around the league.  He caught only 50% of his targets.  He had one decent career season.  

Absolutely no one ever looked and Hill on the football field and said "he reminds me a bit of....Marquise Goodwin", lol.

Let the man himself set you straight:

"Marquise Goodwin, whoever, we can do whatever,” Hill said. “I already proved I’m better than you at wide receiver, at wideout, now I gotta prove to you that I’m faster than you too? That’s really going to hurt. When I’m faster than you and I move better than you, that’s really going to hurt."

It's not even close.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Still a fan of Goodwin.....we have just upgraded past him at this point

I liked him too when Roman was the OC, but he needs places with run focused offenses that allow him to go deep vs man coverage.

7 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Tons of potential but seemed to be made of glass. 

I still remember him getting injured while taking a knee on a kickoff return in the end zone. Classic Glass.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

If that was true, he wouldn't be bouncing around the league.  He caught only 50% of his targets.  He had one decent career season.  

Absolutely no one ever looked and Hill on the football field and said "he reminds me a bit of....Marquise Goodwin", lol.

Let the man himself set you straight:

"Marquise Goodwin, whoever, we can do whatever,” Hill said. “I already proved I’m better than you at wide receiver, at wideout, now I gotta prove to you that I’m faster than you too? That’s really going to hurt. When I’m faster than you and I move better than you, that’s really going to hurt."

It's not even close.

I am not sure why you are trying to demolish a strawman here. I never said that Glass and Hill are the same or just as good. The production speaks for itself.

The size and athleticism of each guy though are comparable. Obviously that doesn’t always translate into being a talented and productive football player.

that said, there seems to be a lot of NFL teams that think I am right. Teams are still intrigued by Glass’s potential, now even 7 years later and with little production to back him up. Otherwise it makes no sense that teams are still signing a guy that has a 0% chance of staying healthy and playing in all the games this year, and maybe get you 20 catches. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am not sure why you are trying to demolish a strawman here. I never said that Glass and Hill are the same or just as good. The production speaks for itself.

The size and athleticism of each guy though are comparable. Obviously that doesn’t always translate into being a talented and productive football player.

that said, there seems to be a lot of NFL teams that think I am right. Teams are still intrigued by Glass’s potential, now even 7 years later and with little production to back him up. Otherwise it makes no sense that teams are still signing a guy that has a 0% chance of staying healthy and playing in all the games this year, and maybe get you 20 catches. 

Goodwin and Hill's similarity begins and ends with "they are fast and ran track".  Their football game is nothing alike, let alone "pretty similar".

But yeah, NFL GM's make decisions that result in signing aging journeymen who are often injured and produce little.  GMs aren't all really good at what they do.  Surprise....