Which player from the "wasted years" (in their prime) would help the Bills in 2021.

On 4/17/2021 at 5:56 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

If the wasted years means the non playoff years, then I'd say Lee Evans. The Bills offense needs their signature "big 3". Diggs, Evans, Allen would be scary

because we didn't kill it with the  WRs we had?? We ran more 4 wide than anyone, what we need is a better run defense and pass rush.

On 4/18/2021 at 3:53 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The question was about 2021..........and IMO defenses will adapt to what the Bills did offensively in 2020.   They already did in the playoffs.  It will be harder to run it back.  I personally loved Dawkins at guard.   He is an adequate LT but his ceiling at guard was very high.   

I was a big Mario fan though.   They definitely could use that.   And I think the scheme change and poor stewardship of Rex Ryan hastened his demise.   I remember @Kevin becoming furious with me for saying I thought the Bills were going to make a run at him in free agency.  😄

I feel as if I'm in the minority, but I think that Aaron Schobel (in his prime) would be a GREAT fit in the league today. The main reason I think this is his speed. He really could fly off the line, as opposed to Kelsay. After a couple of years, he even developed some moves and got stronger.

I will always believe that Schobel was a victim of both a piss poor, horrid organization and what I call the "Bobby Murcer Syndrome." Murcer was a very good player who took the place of Mickey Mantle, thus people said that he "sucked." He did not.

Schobel was compared to Bruce Smith. Good luck with that.

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I feel as if I'm in the minority, but I think that Aaron Schobel (in his prime) would be a GREAT fit in the league today. The main reason I think this is his speed. He really could fly off the line, as opposed to Kelsay. After a couple of years, he even developed some moves and got stronger.

I will always believe that Schobel was a victim of both a piss poor, horrid organization and what I call the "Bobby Murcer Syndrome." Murcer was a very good player who took the place of Mickey Mantle, thus people said that he "sucked." He did not.

Schobel was compared to Bruce Smith. Good luck with that.

I agree he was a tremendous pass rusher and would have been an even better fit in today's game.

I think he got swept up in the losing culture.

The environment around the organization was so awful back then...........Schobel  got to a point where he just wanted to fly in for games and not have to be in Buffalo to practice.......a crazy demand..........Buddy Nix couldn't let things degenerate THAT badly so he basically had no choice but to tell Schobel to retire.

If Schobel had played for the Patriots I think he plays at least another 3 seasons.    

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree he was a tremendous pass rusher and would have been an even better fit in today's game.

I think he got swept up in the losing culture.

The environment around the organization was so awful back then...........Schobel  got to a point where he just wanted to fly in for games and not have to be in Buffalo to practice.......a crazy demand..........Buddy Nix couldn't let things degenerate THAT badly so he basically had no choice but to tell Schobel to retire.

If Schobel had played for the Patriots I think he plays at least another 3 seasons.    

This rings a bell. I guess I was pushing it out of my head. What I DO remember is being at RWS and seeing Schobel lined up wider than any DE I had/have ever seen. He was very close to the sideline, and there was no chance of him being of any use at all. At this point, he was our only good pass rusher.

The younger fans just don't know what we had to endure.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, Bill from NYC said:

This rings a bell. I guess I was pushing it out of my head. What I DO remember is being at RWS and seeing Schobel lined up wider than any DE I had/have ever seen. He was very close to the sideline, and there was no chance of him being of any use at all. At this point, he was our only good pass rusher.

The younger fans just don't know what we had to endure.

If they had next-gen stats back then, the vast amount of yards that Schobel would run in a game without getting close to the QB would be astounding. That is my lasting memory of AS. To be fair, he did make some plays.

8 hours ago, Rico said:

If they had next-gen stats back then, the vast amount of yards that Schobel would run in a game without getting close to the QB would be astounding. That is my lasting memory of AS. To be fair, he did make some plays.

Schobel was often lined up so wide that he had little to no chance of making a play. They also had him drop back in coverage, giving us zero pass rush. Later on, they would sometimes send Mario Williams into coverage. Also, do you remember when they had Dareus just standing in the middle flapping his arms? He looked like a giant seal. It was as if the Bills didn't want QB sacks. 

If a young Schobel was playing today, he would be at least a 15 million dollar per year speed rusher. Of course this is jmo.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Who the hell are you, Fred Rogers? 😁 (Say your post in his voice...see?)

As for CJ Spill'um?!  Maybe he'll confuse the opposition with all his north-south running. 🤨

I think he had more like a 12.  And it wasn't 'lite'.

yeah that's funny memory i had too.

He did more North-South running than the Civil War.😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:39 PM, ganesh said:

Schoebel

Mario 

Fred Jackson

Any of those 1st RD CBs 

Pass rush makes your DB's look better. I'll take the 2012-2014 version of Mario all day. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1