Which player from the "wasted years" (in their prime) would help the Bills in 2021.

20 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s fun to pretend sometimes 

Who the hell are you, Fred Rogers? 😁 (Say your post in his voice...see?)

As for CJ Spill'um?!  Maybe he'll confuse the opposition with all his north-south running. 🤨

16 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah for sure. He and a Sam Adams 

I think he had more like a 12.  And it wasn't 'lite'.

• Haha (+1) 1

Some great ideas here.  Though I can't imagine Marshawn over Fred:  the latter gave his heart and soul to the team, blue-collar, tough as old leather, loved Buffalo; the former couldn't wait to get out of here.

As another idea, how about Fitz as our backup (on a $2.5 mil contract)?

• Like (+1) 2

Adams and Moulds would be nice,

Over the years - I would say mainly defensive players.

My 1st choice would be Ted Washington (such a mountain of a man).  

Then probably Sam Adams/Pat Williams.  Mario Williams would be my DE beating out a guy like Schobel.  I would also love Winfield as the CB - I can’t imagine him with White and the way Winfield could tackle - Holy Cow that would be an elite pairing.

Offense is harder - not a lot of guys beat out what we have.  Probably Moulds would be #1 and we have had a ton of above average RBs - which lead to nothing in the win column.  I would probably look at a Fred Jackson as he would be a great fit.  A guy like Eric Woods on the O-line would also fit nicely.  The most obvious fill in would be at TE and there is not even a guy to choose during that time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I love discussions like this, especially during the off-season when it can be tough to come up with new topics!  I'll go by position or position group and will eliminate anyone that made it to even a single playoff game to make it truly the drought era players.

QB - No...just no.  Above any other position, this is why there was a drought.  Sorry Drew & Fitz but we're fine.  MAYBE Fitz as a backup but a general rule of the universe is that if Fitz is on your team, he will be starting at some point.

RB - My head says Lynch but my heart says Fred.  Going to go with Fred because of what he would add to the culture...plus he was a hell of a player as well.

WR - Moulds is eliminated because he made the playoffs, plus we already have a #1 alpha dog (alpha Digg?) receiver.  Side note, man do I get sad thinking about what he could have been with better QB...freaking monster.  I'm going to go with Lee Evans & pretty easily for me.  Lee was a much better version of John Brown and had very nice seasons with trash QB play.

TE - Oof...I guess Riemersma if I had to pick one but honestly Knox might be a better player.

O-Line - This one is pretty tough because our line was average at best for quite a long time.  Was going to go with Wood and/or Levitre but it would be dumb to not go with Jason Peters.  Move the Shnowman to RT and gracious is that a pair of tackles.  Side note...I know Peters isn't very popular on these boards but that's one of the dumbest moves by the Bills during the drought.

D-Line - Kyle made a playoff game so he's out but even if he could be included, it would still be Mario Williams in an absolute landslide.  Jerry needs someone on the other side and he hasn't had anyone since...Mario Williams.  Another not so popular Bill on TBD but before Rex messed things up, he was an outstanding player.

Linebacker - Takeo, slightly over London Fletcher.  I think his game would still fit today's defensive schemes, mostly because he was an absolute beast.

DB - I was going to say Gilmore since he technically applies but he just feels too recent to pick 😄  I'll go with Nate Clements.  Numbers may have made his look better than he actually was, but still a good player.

Special Teams - I'm happy with Bass-o-matic so he's good.  Moorman was a consideration but I'm going to go with Terrance McGee.  Obviously an above average CB as well but such a great returner and one of my favorite drought era Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Pat Williams. Ed Oliver and T Edmunds would improve immediately with Pat Williams eating doubles and driving centers into QBs. The run D would improve instantly. 

People tend to forget that Pat Williams was not a guy who excelled at nose or 1 tech.     He wasn't good at it because he had no interest in being that guy.  He wanted to shoot thru gaps and get in the backfield.  Once the great Ted Washington left, the Bills run defenses were mostly awful.  Even when they went out and got another huge player in Sam Adams the two of them bickered about who would maintain the gap integrity and line up to draw the double and often NEITHER of them would.   Fortunately they had a Takeo Spikes behind them.

PW was a great player but he would not have been a complement to Oliver he would have been competing with him for snaps.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Over the years - I would say mainly defensive players.

My 1st choice would be Ted Washington (such a mountain of a man).  

Then probably Sam Adams/Pat Williams.  Mario Williams would be my DE beating out a guy like Schobel.  I would also love Winfield as the CB - I can’t imagine him with White and the way Winfield could tackle - Holy Cow that would be an elite pairing.

Offense is harder - not a lot of guys beat out what we have.  Probably Moulds would be #1 and we have had a ton of above average RBs - which lead to nothing in the win column.  I would probably look at a Fred Jackson as he would be a great fit.  A guy like Eric Woods on the O-line would also fit nicely.  The most obvious fill in would be at TE and there is not even a guy to choose during that time.

Ted Washington was not part of the "lost years".    He only played for the Bills while Wade was the DC/HC.........which was a winning time(5 playoff appearances) with the exceptions of 1997 and 2000.   He was cut in the first offseason that began the cultural decline of the Bills.    In fact, he was easily the deepest cut that Donahoe made when carving up the Bills winning culture.    They lost their heart and got soft as baby sh*t when they cut Big Ted.

Mario would have been a great fit.  

Winfield would have been great too.   A lot of the "big nickel to stop TE's" is nonsense..........trying to find a unicorn when the right CB will do........the tiny Winfield could and did shut down Tony Gonzalez because he could cover him and transition and play the run.    Tre did well against Gronk in that role too.   The Bills just don't have enough matchup corners. 

Disagree on all the rest for various reasons........mostly because they weren't good team players.

Jason Peters was by far the best player of the GW and beyond years and he would be the best addition to this team...........the only lock HOF'er the Bills have developed since the 1980's.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

People tend to forget that Pat Williams was not a guy who excelled at nose or 1 tech.     He wasn't good at it because he had no interest in being that guy.  He wanted to shoot thru gaps and get in the backfield.  Once the great Ted Washington left, the Bills run defenses were mostly awful.  Even when they went out and got another huge player in Sam Adams the two of them bickered about who would maintain the gap integrity and line up to draw the double and often NEITHER of them would.   Fortunately they had a Takeo Spikes behind them.

PW was a great player but he would not have been a complement to Oliver he would have been competing with him for snaps.   

I was thinking more along the line of how he was utilized on the Vikings with him and Kevin Williams rotating 1 tech responsibilities while Pat W was usually the one doubled. IMO, Williams matured after he got paid. Oliver is certainly capable of playing the Kevin Williams role. 

But, you’re absolutely correct. As far as run stuffers go he was more Jeremiah Ratliff than Casey Hampton - NTs I know, but the play style comparison fits.