Never been so disinterested in a draft

Bakin

50 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Thurman Thomas was selected 40th in the draft.

Just sayin'

So far as I could tell, there has been exactly one player drafted 30th who made the Hall of Fame - Sam Huff.  

I could study the draft for the next 100 hours and I wouldn't be able to tell you which guy in the draft was the next Sam Huff, or the next Thurman.  

For the past two years, I've had little to no interest in free agency or the draft.  Enormous interest in the guys the Bills actually acquired, but no interest in the process running up the drafting or signing.  Didn't see Diggs coming, didn't know who Epenesa was when he was drafted, didn't even realize that Sanders was a free agent.  

My interest lies in seeing what magic Bean will weave to get his 2-3 top guys and sleepers. Last year I was saying Gabe Davis "meh? We'll see," but damn if that guy doesn't have 1-2nd rd talent.  Dane Jackson, "diamond in the rough".  I'm sure I'll have some type of device turned on, even if in the background waiting to hear the words "Buffalo Bills select"

Completely agree with you. Frankly our starters are pretty much set with the exception probably of a #2 CB (perhaps our 1st round pick) and possibly a DE (perhaps our 1st round pick).

Whoever we draft will likely be a good pick and make some kind of impact.  But since the Bills are already (FINALLY!!!) really good, I don't know how noticeable that impact will be.

To me... drafting an RB like Harris in round 1 or doing something insane like trading up for Kyle Pitts would be the only things that push this draft into excitement territory.

I'll watch and pay attention and hope for the best with our picks.  But we no longer need to count on them.  And that's a good thing.

I'm more excited about the schedule release a couple weeks after.

2 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Might want to get checked out. This sounds serious... PLEASE consult a professional. Draft disinterest is no laughing matter.

I’m really glad to see that people found this funny, but I was only kind of kidding. I cannot imagine myself NOT counting down the days until the draft. I genuinely feel for the guy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1) Tre was drafted 27th overall so why panic over 30?

2) Looking forward to see if they improve corner, 1T DT, or interior OL.

3) Will they find an infusion of speed at WR?

4) These picks are critical to having a percentage of active players with low salaries and a shorter injury history. 

Lots to make the draft interesting. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

So far as I could tell, there has been exactly one player drafted 30th who made the Hall of Fame - Sam Huff.  

I could study the draft for the next 100 hours and I wouldn't be able to tell you which guy in the draft was the next Sam Huff, or the next Thurman.  

For the past two years, I've had little to no interest in free agency or the draft.  Enormous interest in the guys the Bills actually acquired, but no interest in the process running up the drafting or signing.  Didn't see Diggs coming, didn't know who Epenesa was when he was drafted, didn't even realize that Sanders was a free agent.  

Yeah, but how many HOFers come from one draft slot isn't predictive of how likely you are to get one at that slot in one year.

From what I can find, the lowest draft pick to be enshrined came at #321. Roosevelt Brown. One at #245, one at #232. You can get 'em anywhere.

https://hofexperiences.com/blog/lowest-draft-picks-pro-football-hall-of-fame

It could happen. The odds are strongly against it, but they're strongly against it in any one year no matter where you're drafting. Even at #1 your odds are, what?, 20%? 30%?

Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Walt Patulski, John Matuszak, Too Tall Jones, Steve Bartkowski, Lee Roy Selmon, Ricky Bell, Earl Campbell, Tom Cousineau, Bills Sims, George Rogers, Kenneth Sim, John Elway, Irving Friar, Bruce Smith, Bo Jackson, Vinny Testaverde, Aundray Bruce, Troy Aikman and Jeff George are all the #1s from the 70s and 80s. (Later and many of them we still don't know if they'll make it to the HOF.) 

Is it as high as 40%? I'm too lazy to look but there are at least 15 of the 20 who aren't in the HOF of that group.

The draft isn't supposed to be predictable. That's the joy of it. It's watching the process and figuring out how your front office thinks that makes it so much fun.

Edited by Thurman#1

I am weirdly more interested than usual. I think because it's so much harder to predict who the Bills will take, I've taken a much deeper look at the top 40 players or so in the class. In years past there were only about 5 players that were realistic options at our pick. Since I don't really care about the draft outside of the Bills picks there wasn't much for me to look into. When we drafted Tre White I had no clue who he was.

We have so few dire needs. I'm excited to see what Beane does now that we just need finishing touches rather than a complete overhaul. If I had to predict the top 3 most likely 1st round candidates for us I'd go Oweh, Campell, and Ossai in that order.

Edited by HappyDays

I'm much more interested than last year. Last year around this time there was too much real world insanity that the draft just kind of snuck up on me and happened. Now that pandemic/riots/total chaos is normalized I can once again focus on what's really important. 

Little worried about DB at 30 just because of the history of that position at that pick, but it probably means nothing since this is such a QB heavy draft anyway and every other position will slide. Might see 4 QB's go in the top 5 which is pretty crazy for the league. 

For what it's worth looks like TJ Watt is the best 30th pick in the last couple of decades, if not ever. 30th pick has been rough. Cornerback wasteland. Kind of hoping we'll trade around now.

I can see why some Bills fans feel that way. After years of seeing the draft as our salvation we now have a team that is strong enough not to be desperate for the draft. 

But my interest in the draft is part of my NFL fandom rather than specifically my Bills fandom. I don't care whether we pick 1st, 32nd or (as last year) don't have a first rounder at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Thurman Thomas was selected 40th in the draft.

Just sayin'

And Diggs was taken in the 5th, Milano in the 5th, and so on.  I agree, but I can only enjoy so much time looking at draft picks, and I really do trust Beane.  Last year we hit in Davis in the 4th, I think Moss will be good from the 3rd in time, Bass was an excellent pick, and I have high hopes for Dane.  Bottom line is I like Beane even more the deeper he goes into the draft.  He has a way of finding people others missed out.

Im going to enjoy watching the draft, and bet he’ll find people in the mid rounds we don’t see.

To the OP, you’re not off on you’re feelings.

My interest in the draft has waned due to Covid. For the first time in a while I just couldn’t get into watching college football. I’m sure part of that is moving back to NY which just have a different type of sports fan than down south. All of the opt outs also took some of the allure away.

That said, I’m all in for the draft, especially rounds 2-7 and the subsequent UDFA signings. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

9 hours ago, Process said:

I think picking 30 has a lot to do with it. 

I am not a college football fan, don't watch at all, but it also seems like this is an extremely weak class? At least the first round. Seems like there is very little elite talent other than at QB and WR. 

There are lots of Offensive Tackles, and really all OL positions in this draft. Some of them would go much higher in a different draft imo. 

In a normal draft, #30 would be too far back to grab a premier LT but it looks like it might be possible this season.

• Like (+1) 1