Ones who were/are Sopranos series(HBO) fans......

Patrick Duffy

I feel quite strongly that Tony gets killed in front of his family by the guy who went into the bathroom.

David Chase is like a surgeon with what he shows you and why.  The evidence is all there.

The decision to cut to credits without actually showing it was simply an artistic choice and I think probably the best way to handle it in the end.

Even if it made a lot of viewers unhappy at the time.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I feel quite strongly that Tony gets killed in front of his family by the guy who went into the bathroom.

David Chase is like a surgeon with what he shows you and why.  The evidence is all there.

The decision to cut to credits without actually showing it was simply an artistic choice and I think probably the best way to handle it in the end.

Even if it made a lot of viewers unhappy at the time.

I seem to remember Chase saying something like that in some interview somewhere. And after watching it several times, I have to agree; the evidence is all there. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, K-9 said:

I seem to remember Chase saying something like that in some interview somewhere. And after watching it several times, I have to agree; the evidence is all there. 

There is a great, long interview done by Peter Bogdanovich with Chase on Youtube.  Definitely worth watching for fans of the show or those interested in film.  It's one of the more intelligently coordinated discussions on directing I've ever seen actually.  

There are now also quite a few fan-made videos on Youtube dissecting the final episode, some of which are really well done.

Here's the Bogdanovich interview; I can't imagine a big fan of The Sopranos not loving every minute of this:

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/16/2021 at 12:13 PM, K-9 said:

Tony is dead. There is no doubt about it. The scene in the restaurant is shown from Tony’s POV and the last thing he saw was total blackness. This was foreshadowed in a previous episode when Tony and Bobby B were in the boat on the lake and they were speculating on what it’s like to die and agreed that everything just goes black. 

It took two rewatches for me to appreciate where Chase was coming from. Initially, I thought he simply left it up to the audience to make their own conclusions. But the scene on the lake and then understanding the POV nature of the restaurant scene made me come to a new conclusion. 

Correct/Thread.

I can see the idea that it’s Tony’s POV at the end.  Rewatching the show, and that does seem to fit into what Chase did throughout.  Forgot how good he was at directing and how well he was able to work in little nuances that carried the show.

As far as rewatching?  Forgot how much I hated Janice.  If I have one complaint about the show, it’s her.  Understand why she was necessary, but it felt a little forced to get there with her.

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There is a great, long interview done by Peter Bogdanovich with Chase on Youtube.  Definitely worth watching for fans of the show or those interested in film.  It's one of the more intelligently coordinated discussions on directing I've ever seen actually.  

There are now also quite a few fan-made videos on Youtube dissecting the final episode, some of which are really well done.

Here's the Bogdanovich interview; I can't imagine a big fan of The Sopranos not loving every minute of this:

Great interview.

Interesting how we dissect a show and look for meaning in everything, yet the director doesn’t intend for those minute details.

I think the guy sat down and ordered a burger.

Seriously though, I really hate endings like that, if for no reason other than my wife continuously asks me "do you think Tony Soprano died".  Hell, she does it with Breaking Bad too, even though that one couldn't have been any more obvious.  They even mention the outcome in the El Camino movie but she still asks the damn question.

I just finished watching it a month or so again, I watched a few episodes back when it was originally on but didnt have HBO at the time so would only catch a few when over at my buddies place. They had people over for the last episode and I saw the go black thing and was like wtf, glad I didnt watch it lol

Knowing the ending was the go black, I finally brought myself around to watching it when we got HBO Max.

Personally, I didn't think he died then. Maybe because I am an optimist, maybe its because of dont stop believing playing lol.  If he did die, I dont think it was the members only guy, that it would have had to have been who ever came through the door when the bell rang.

Tony gets shot.  It's pretty clear, I thought the ending was fitting and it's never bothered me.  He didn't see it coming, and the series was largely from his perspective, so neither did we.

Chase has talked about this more recently and I think he's also been pretty clear about what happened (although not sure if he's ever come out and said it directly.)

41 minutes ago, Irv said:

Which was worse?  Sopranos ending or Seinfeld ending?  

Seinfeld ending was bad, but somehow fitting?

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm sure this was a topic 15 years ago, but I was not on this board back then and was on BBMB. Anyway, was watching it again here and there and was curious what others thought about the finale ending and what people speculate happened with Tony and family.....

I remember myself and 6 other family members all gathered to watch last show. Was pissed at way they handled that ending. I don't know 1 single person who liked, or was satisfied with it. After such a great show and one of the best all time, it's a shame that's what David Chase and co. came up with.

Also really looking forward to the movie The Many Saints of Newark gets aired on HBOMax soon. James Gandolfini's son playing young Tony S. I'm sure will be interesting..... Anyway, with that being said, what are your opinions about the finale in 2006 and what do you think happened? Did Tony get shot in diner? Or they just ate, went home and business as usual? Have seen many different scenarios people have come up with that were interesting.

So what's yours?

it went black as Tony was shot in the bakc of the head.  Last thing he saw was Meadow walking in the door.  The show was from his perspective and went black as his lights went out....my opinion

I think the showrunners never clarified and said it was up to the audience

I also think PAULIE was the one who set it up and was set to take over, remember he turned tony down right before that scene..it was Paulie who was part of his death

On 4/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, The Jokeman said:

Dexter ending. 

this, worst ending ever, hopefully the new season does the show justice

• 6 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.