Ones who were/are Sopranos series(HBO) fans......

Patrick Duffy

I'm sure this was a topic 15 years ago, but I was not on this board back then and was on BBMB. Anyway, was watching it again here and there and was curious what others thought about the finale ending and what people speculate happened with Tony and family.....

I remember myself and 6 other family members all gathered to watch last show. Was pissed at way they handled that ending. I don't know 1 single person who liked, or was satisfied with it. After such a great show and one of the best all time, it's a shame that's what David Chase and co. came up with.

Also really looking forward to the movie The Many Saints of Newark gets aired on HBOMax soon. James Gandolfini's son playing young Tony S. I'm sure will be interesting..... Anyway, with that being said, what are your opinions about the finale in 2006 and what do you think happened? Did Tony get shot in diner? Or they just ate, went home and business as usual? Have seen many different scenarios people have come up with that were interesting.

So what's yours?

35 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm sure this was a topic 15 years ago, but I was not on this board back then and was on BBMB. Anyway, was watching it again here and there and was curious what others thought about the finale ending and what people speculate happened with Tony and family.....

I remember myself and 6 other family members all gathered to watch last show. Was pissed at way they handled that ending. I don't know 1 single person who liked, or was satisfied with it. After such a great show and one of the best all time, it's a shame that's what David Chase and co. came up with.

Also really looking forward to the movie The Many Saints of Newark gets aired on HBOMax soon. James Gandolfini's son playing young Tony S. I'm sure will be interesting..... Anyway, with that being said, what are your opinions about the finale in 2006 and what do you think happened? Did Tony get shot in diner? Or they just ate, went home and business as usual? Have seen many different scenarios people have come up with that were interesting.

So what's yours?

I remember watching the season finale live with my parents and my mom yelling at me "what did you do to the tv?" I thought the cable went out until we saw the end credits. So yes, I wasn't happy with it. In my mind the fade to black makes me think at the very least Tony was killed if not the whole family. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I remember watching the season finale live with my parents and my mom yelling at me "what did you do to the tv?" I thought the cable went out until we saw the end credits. So yes, I wasn't happy with it. In my mind the fade to black makes me think at the very least Tony was killed if not the whole family. 

Lol yeah forgot about that. I recall many that though cable went out

I dislike the finale.  In fact, I didnt even like the last 3-4 seasons so much.  I realize that isnt a popular opinion.    I mean, it had its moments and we loved some of the characters, but really it was a lot that went nowhere, and a lot of plot lines just fizzled.  The main reason I hung on until the end was to see how it ended.  Then, they really didnt end it, at least in any conventional way.

I think Tony got shot, based on the forensic frame by frame analysis we have seen online for years.  Thank god for people who can break down a screen by screen forensic analysis of who is shown from what point of view in sequential order in order to figure out what in the hell happened.... as opposed to actually showing it on the show.  

Tony is dead. There is no doubt about it. The scene in the restaurant is shown from Tony’s POV and the last thing he saw was total blackness. This was foreshadowed in a previous episode when Tony and Bobby B were in the boat on the lake and they were speculating on what it’s like to die and agreed that everything just goes black. 

It took two rewatches for me to appreciate where Chase was coming from. Initially, I thought he simply left it up to the audience to make their own conclusions. But the scene on the lake and then understanding the POV nature of the restaurant scene made me come to a new conclusion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Tony is dead. There is no doubt about it. The scene in the restaurant is shown from Tony’s POV and the last thing he saw was total blackness. This was foreshadowed in a previous episode when Tony and Bobby B were in the boat on the lake and they were speculating on what it’s like to die and agreed that everything just goes black. 

It took two rewatches for me to appreciate where Chase was coming from. Initially, I thought he simply left it up to the audience to make their own conclusions. But the scene on the lake and then understanding the POV nature of the restaurant scene made me come to a new conclusion. 

That was the conclusion I came up with, but not at first. I also had to go back some to figure it out. Tony dying is the most popular take people seem to have, but many had different ways of how he dies.

22 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I dislike the finale.  In fact, I didnt even like the last 3-4 seasons so much.  I realize that isnt a popular opinion.    I mean, it had its moments and we loved some of the characters, but really it was a lot that went nowhere, and a lot of plot lines just fizzled.  The main reason I hung on until the end was to see how it ended.  Then, they really didnt end it, at least in any conventional way.

I think Tony got shot, based on the forensic frame by frame analysis we have seen online for years.  Thank god for people who can break down a screen by screen forensic analysis of who is shown from what point of view in sequential order in order to figure out what in the hell happened.... as opposed to actually showing it on the show.  

Only thing I didn't like was when AJ started acting the cry baby, needy, weird ways toward the end. Couldn't stand it

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

I still miss that show - loved it as did the wifey.

Same here. I’ve watched it several times now and it still impresses. It’s funny, though, how with every viewing Tony’s character became less and less sympathetic to the point of me now considering him to be a total dick.

10 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That was the conclusion I came up with, but not at first. I also had to go back some to figure it out. Tony dying is the most popular take people seem to have, but many had different ways of how he dies.

Only thing I didn't like was when AJ started acting the cry baby, needy, weird ways toward the end. Couldn't stand it

How he dies? Other than sudden? I’d be interested in knowing what some other ideas are. 

Was just catching up on news of the new movie and started to watch season 1 where I left off a few months ago this morning.

I always felt Tony and family had dinner and went forward.  What happened after that? With the crew destroyed?  Eventually Tony dies for sure, just not that night.  Probably gets whacked by the NY mob.  

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How he dies? Other than sudden? I’d be interested in knowing what some other ideas are. 

there are some theories he died after his uncle shot him and everything that comes after is some comatose dream sequence until he finally succumbs from his wounds in the last episode or some crap.

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well most conversations I had back then large majority was members only jacket guy shoots him. A few mixed in and said he had heart attack. Those were the main 2 people said.

Carmela, AJ, and Meadow is where some differed on if they also got killed or not.

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

there are some theories he died after his uncle shot him and everything that comes after is some comatose dream sequence until he finally succumbs from his wounds in the last episode or some crap.

Oh yeah, heard that one too. Knew I was forgetting one,  the death/dream take

7 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Was just catching up on news of the new movie and started to watch season 1 where I left off a few months ago this morning.

I always felt Tony and family had dinner and went forward.  What happened after that? With the crew destroyed?  Eventually Tony dies for sure, just not that night.  Probably gets whacked by the NY mob.  

Nah because they made peace. Reason why Tony got location of Phil. 

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Some crap, indeed. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

We will look for that one. 

Gandolfini's son plays Tony and it's set back when the crew were younger and how they started etc. Surprised you didn't know about that movie (spin off I guess you could say). 

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

I’m also in the camp of Tony was shot and killed, especially how it was foreshadowed with the “goes black” conversation previously.

I initially hated it, but it’s grown on me over time and now I actually appreciate the ending. 

The ending of Game of Thrones was so god awful that I appreciate it even more now! 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Some crap, indeed. 

There is similar nonsense in fan theories about the Simpsons.  

https://www.cbr.com/the-simpsons-homer-coma-theory-debunked/

Clearly, these people need to find hobbies or stick to erotic fan fiction.  Dream sequences in movies and TV just suck.

2 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I’m also in the camp of Tony was shot and killed, especially how it was foreshadowed with the “goes black” conversation previously.

I initially hated it, but it’s grown on me over time and now I actually appreciate the ending. 

The ending of Game of Thrones was so god awful that I appreciate it even more now! 

All our favorite shows will end and there is no way to do it without disappointing a lot of people.  But that GoT final season was so bad that the biggest show in TV history that captivated the world for a decade was basically forgotten two weeks after it wrapped up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Yeah I think most were pissed due to it being so sudden with black screen and were confused, frustrated etc. As far as Chase is concerned, even shortly after I realized what/why he ended it that way, I still hated it.  I just thought the show was so good and did so well that they could have done it in a better way, easily a betteer way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.