Dolphins Fan Take - Morning JA Discussion At Work

H2o

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Life gets infinitely easier when you learn that some people (most, really) are only worth 3 words from you: “You’re an idiot.” 

If you want to get creative you can go further and say: “is this stupid take a result of your bitterness that your team, and subsequently all fans of your team, are Josh’s B word? If so, I’m sorry for you.”

Drought, all I could think scanning this one was the famous happy Gilmore reference we are all dumber from you’re response.  I award you no pts and god have mercy on you’re soul.

then my mind went to inconceivable from the princess bride.  Indigo will like this one.  Socrates, Plato, Aristotle?  Morons!

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Your coworker sounds like an alcoholic. 

got a lot of experience in this field, do ya?

The one aspect of this argument not being discussed (or remembered) is how often the offense broke huddle very early which allowed Josh to see the specific matchups and personnel groupings facing his down & distance scenario. It leaves plenty of time to get the word out to the farthest reaches of the play design, regardless of raucous crowd noise.

Its called preparation.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, H2o said:

Good morning my friends and TGIF. Sometimes, usually on Friday mornings when some of us come in for a few hours (usually we work 4  10's), all of us will grab a cup of coffee and bs for a half hour or so about football. One of the other supervisors who was there is a Dolphins fan. We got to talking about the draft, how many teams need a QB, and where we thought people were going. I said I'm glad the Bills finally have a QB after 25 years. Dolphins fan says, "yeah, the jury is still out on that one." I asked him how so? I gave the breakdown of how Josh has gotten better every year in every statistical category. I also said look at the leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, it's insane. He was 2nd in the MVP voting accounting for 46 total TD's and broke all kinds of Bills records for Christ sake. He just says, "Covid, no fans in the stands." He then went on to say because of that Josh was able to go through his pre-snap reads and make multiple play changes if necessary. Reason being there was no crowd noise to distract or hinder him. He said you'll see if he's really the guy this year when everyone has fans in the stands again. I said this may be somewhat true on the checks at the line, but he's still the one back there who has to read the defense, find the open man, and deliver an accurate ball. The lack of fans have nothing to do with his improved accuracy to every level of the field. He said Josh looked pretty shook against KC. Their crowd noise affected him early and then it carried throughout the game. I said there was a whole lot of other ***t that were the determining factors in that game, but crowd noise wasn't high up on that list. After that he just kind of smirked and said, "We'll see." I'm not attributing Josh's success last year to no fans being in stadiums, but it led me create this topic for discussion on here. Imo, he's just continually improving on a yearly basis and I feel that's been evident to all of us here without an ax to grind. Either way, how much do you all attribute Josh's 2020 season to the fact it was played in relative silence on the field?

The Dolphins fan makes a good point.   You aren't a superstar NFL QB until you show you can do it all, consistently.  He's right, Allen hasn't managed tough games in a hostile environment, not like the best have done it.   

Developing into a star QB is a five+ year project.   Josh is on the road.   He still could stumble before he becomes a master QB.   There are no guarantees.   However, if anyone, fans, coaches, players, are asked to name the QBs under 30 likely to become HOF-level stars like Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Josh is way up near the top of the list.   So, yes, he could stumble, but Mahomes is the only other young QB I'd want over Josh. 

I would have just said I know you wish Tua  was half the QB Josh is.

Looks like your drafting another QB in 2022 ;) 

BTW if crowd noise or the lack there of had an impact then why didn't every QB have an MVP year?

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

On second thought, I think the guy is on to something.

Mark my words, dear Bills fans, there's going to be a rush to get deaf quarterbacks under center........and soon.

What?

I been back and forth with my dolphin buddy that says the same thing,jury still out. I be hating too if I had tua after last year.

And for the kc game,it would of took a unbelievable performance by josh to make up for some of the worst play calling on both sides by the bills.

Many other teams' fans focus on the hurdling LB'ers, crazy escapes, insane run plays, crazy strong arm throws and play the "yeah but" game. 

But Allen is one of the most disciplined and dedicated QBs in the NFL. His training and study routine is nuts, even by NFL standards. You don't improve the way he did since his rookie year without putting in some serious work. 

Since he is so freakishly gifted athletically people don't realize that as much (yet) but they will once we get to the part where Allen is leading the Bills to the Super Bowl. Then there will be time for the deep dive interviews on how he got here from his rookie season. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Good morning my friends and TGIF. Sometimes, usually on Friday mornings when some of us come in for a few hours (usually we work 4  10's), all of us will grab a cup of coffee and bs for a half hour or so about football. One of the other supervisors who was there is a Dolphins fan. We got to talking about the draft, how many teams need a QB, and where we thought people were going. I said I'm glad the Bills finally have a QB after 25 years. Dolphins fan says, "yeah, the jury is still out on that one." I asked him how so? I gave the breakdown of how Josh has gotten better every year in every statistical category. I also said look at the leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, it's insane. He was 2nd in the MVP voting accounting for 46 total TD's and broke all kinds of Bills records for Christ sake. He just says, "Covid, no fans in the stands." He then went on to say because of that Josh was able to go through his pre-snap reads and make multiple play changes if necessary. Reason being there was no crowd noise to distract or hinder him. He said you'll see if he's really the guy this year when everyone has fans in the stands again. I said this may be somewhat true on the checks at the line, but he's still the one back there who has to read the defense, find the open man, and deliver an accurate ball. The lack of fans have nothing to do with his improved accuracy to every level of the field. He said Josh looked pretty shook against KC. Their crowd noise affected him early and then it carried throughout the game. I said there was a whole lot of other ***t that were the determining factors in that game, but crowd noise wasn't high up on that list. After that he just kind of smirked and said, "We'll see." I'm not attributing Josh's success last year to no fans being in stadiums, but it led me create this topic for discussion on here. Imo, he's just continually improving on a yearly basis and I feel that's been evident to all of us here without an ax to grind. Either way, how much do you all attribute Josh's 2020 season to the fact it was played in relative silence on the field?

Wasn't Josh in the same situation this last year as was every single QB and every single team?

edit - I see many of you asked this same question.  Sorry for the duplicate...

Edited by Pokebball
duplicate

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Answer should have been well Tua had no fans in the stand and SUCKED, so guess you are drafting a QB yet again in Miami right?

9 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

I don't think he will go back to his 2018 for form.  However I do think this year was a perfect year for no fans in the stands.  It did help him learn.   He will take what he learned this year and be even better next year.   

I believe this to a degree as well.

Josh cares almost too much and at times puts too much on his shoulders when the stands are full of Bills fans. I think a year away from that with just crowd-noise pumped in probably helped him to focus on the defensive fronts/coverage, go through his progressions, and leverage the weapons Daboll schemes free. Also it really limited the number of Sugar-High Josh episodes.

He may not have been calm (not sure that ever applies to Allen), but he was focused and his joy playing the game was infectious - you could tell they were having fun out there more often than not. After eliminating NE's slim playoff chances the week prior, he delivered a complete 38-9 thumping of NE in Gillette that swept the Patriots finally removing that monkey off our backs. That alone was a huge accomplishment to me.

The lack of crowds and his pre-game Sinatra music probably helped cap some of that pre-game adrenaline and helped him take some of the heat off those early throws too. From all reports Allen is just uber-competitive from tiddly winks, ping-pong, horse-shoes, to golf Allen is driven to win. It will likely be a long career before he settles into a more lunch-box approach to leading this team. But I think we can all agree that it is better to have someone that has that fire in his belly than someone that is just going through the motions and collecting his NFL check.

As stated in a few replies to the OP, all QB's shared this same empty-stadium advantage and Josh still tore up the league so - meh. Just a fish fan insecure about the prospect of facing a few decades of Allen domination.

Edited by WideNine

Great topic OP...I actually seriously considered this at the beginning of the season...I think no fans helped Josh to improve quicker because he was more relaxed at the start of games, and not so amped up like he normally was...

I still think Josh is the man and will still be great, but I also think no fans may have sped up the process...👍

10 hours ago, H2o said:

Lack of crowd noise on the road would have to be a huge benefit for every offense in the league. No question about it. Still need to make the plays though and Allen made the plays.  Might be why we threw so often, we had an advantage. 

All offenses were pretty unstoppable much of the season.

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Lack of crowd noise on the road would have to be a huge benefit for every offense in the league. No question about it. Still need to make the plays though and Allen made the plays.  Might be why we threw so often, we had an advantage. 

All offenses were pretty unstoppable much of the season.

Definitely not all of them.

If there is a fan base that should be convinced that Allen is a franchise QB, it should be Dolphins fans. Allen has destroyed that team routinely since entering the league. Heck, they should be more convinced than Bills fans.

Against the Dolphins Allen is 5-1, and has scored 20 TD's and thrown 4 INT's. He owns them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1