Dolphins Fan Take - Morning JA Discussion At Work

H2o

I'll admit that I'm a little nervous to see if this year was an aberration and whether there is a regression. My gut says that there won't be a huge drop off, if any. He showed sustained improvement across the board and the lack of fan noise helped (but helped all QBs last year) and that is not a major reason. The addition of Diggs was a major reason for the improvement. All good QBs have a "go to" high performing receiver. But, Josh learned to trust his playmakers this year which, again, is a skill and he improved there. I'd be more worried about Diggs going down than having fans in stands. You Dolphin co-worker is in a bit of denial and probably deep down realizes that the Dolphins will be in trouble for years unless they get the QB position solved. If Josh Allen has trouble with fans i nthe stands, then I'd like to see how Tua handles it. Hint- Peterman vs Chargers in LA. 

Here's the real issue with your buddy at work.

People labeled Josh Allen an inaccurate bust before he was drafted.

Josh's first year wasn't great, so they all felt like they could pat themselves in the back.

They didn't take the time to actually watch him in year 2 or 3, so they stood on that hill and were proven wrong again and again. They will probably continue to do so for another year or two and finally you'll start to hear excuses like "his supporting cast is amazing" and "the crowd noise wasn't loud enough."

My suggestion is to take a bet with the guy. Last year my friend literally bet me >1K that Josh would be bottom 5 in the league in completion percentage. It was the easiest money I've ever made. Rather than getting frustrated with the guy, just take his money.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The key to these types of discussions isn't the leap from year 2 to 3 it's the leap from year 1 to 2.  Going from 10 TD/12 INT to 20 TD/9 INT and 53% completion to 59% completion was amazing.  The year 3 jump makes a lot of sense in the context of the year 2 jump.

And for the record to much is made of the Championship game.  The Bills lost on the road to the defending Super Bowl champions.  Allen didn't have the perfect game like he did a couple of times during the season but he still accounted for nearly 400 total yards of offense. 

The idea that Allen is at any risk to fall back to his 2019 play or the lunatic idea he could regress back to 2018 is just passive/aggressive anti-Allen BS.  It's hard to take this stuff seriously. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Josh was definitely shook but because he was pressured all day....just like Mahomes in the Super Bowl.  That's how you beat great QB's.

So true, that’s why the Bills lack of a pass rush threat from their base 11 is so concerning.  At times they generated some pressure with blitzes but not so much when it was 4 rushing. KC also played physical d in the AFC championship game and the Bills seemed to have no consistent answers. I get it that our WR corps was playing injured but when Diggs was shut down there was not anyone else clearly stepping up.  It would be knock to see Knox take a step forward this season and up his game to possibly fill that void.

• Like (+1) 1

If Dolphins fan were to get together with Jaguars fan and his collection of blue tarps to talk football would it build a sense of bonding and community, or would each feel a sense insecurity and distrust at the shattered sense of identity that would accompany the realization that they weren't the only fan of a Florida based NFL team in the world?

I'm gonna say a thing here that will probably not be very popular:

A small, nagging voice in my head won't be silenced until Josh shows that he can continue his high level of play once 60,000+ fans have returned to the stadiums.

All available evidence points to Allen more than likely being an elite, franchise level guy. That said, I can't COMPLETELY ignore the fact that he went from average NFL starter to elite stud in a year where there weren't fans in the stands. And then in the one game where there WERE a decent level of loud, rowdy fans, he didn't display the same MVP level of performance that he had all season. I know, I know, there were lots of factors in that KC game, many of which have already been mentioned here. Still...

I THINK Josh Allen is going to be great this year. But until he comes out and actually DOES it, in front of hostile fans and whatnot...there will still be that small, nagging doubt in my mind. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve heard this argument before and the biggest reason why it sucks is that would only matter at on the road. So even if he’s 2019 JA on the road and 2020 at home, he’s still a top 10 qb. But the reason Allen made huge strides was his ability to put touch on passes. Especially deep. Tell your boss to have fun with Tua and burning that draft capital for a new qb next offseason 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Here's the real issue with your buddy at work.

People labeled Josh Allen an inaccurate bust before he was drafted.

Josh's first year wasn't great, so they all felt like they could pat themselves in the back.

They didn't take the time to actually watch him in year 2 or 3, so they stood on that hill and were proven wrong again and again. They will probably continue to do so for another year or two and finally you'll start to hear excuses like "his supporting cast is amazing" and "the crowd noise wasn't loud enough."

My suggestion is to take a bet with the guy. Last year my friend literally bet me >1K that Josh would be bottom 5 in the league in completion percentage. It was the easiest money I've ever made. Rather than getting frustrated with the guy, just take his money.

Funny thing about the bold though is those ones who prematurely patted themselves on back refuse to acknowledge the fact that 1st year Josh had WR's that were worst in the league and so, so many drops they had. Was the worst surrounding cast of "help" I think I have ever seen. Not only on a Bills team, but any team.

I mean one would expect him to have struggled some due to his was a rookie. But hell, they certainly didn't do him any favors.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

A small, nagging voice in my head won't be silenced until Josh shows that he can continue his high level of play once 60,000+ fans have returned to the stadiums.

All available evidence points to Allen more than likely being an elite, franchise level guy. That said, I can't COMPLETELY ignore the fact that he went from average NFL starter to elite stud in a year where there weren't fans in the stands. And then in the one game where there WERE a decent level of loud, rowdy fans, he didn't display the same MVP level of performance that he had all season. I know, I know, there were lots of factors in that KC game, many of which have already been mentioned here. Still...

I THINK Josh Allen is going to be great this year. But until he comes out and actually DOES it, in front of hostile fans and whatnot...there will still be that small, nagging doubt in my mind. 

See I just don't see that. Home games noise isn't a factor while offense is on field, for most part. He improved in 2019 with crowd noise. But he improved because Brown and Beasley finally gave him reliable help.

Past season throw a Great S. Diggs in the mix with them and I would say that is reason he was so good. I mean each year of improvement Josh was given more/better help. Also the fact G. Davis turned out to be a very good rookie WR that offered lots of help.

I just don't get the "no fans" take myself.

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Life gets infinitely easier when you learn that some people (most, really) are only worth 3 words from you: “You’re an idiot.” 

If you want to get creative you can go further and say: “is this stupid take a result of your bitterness that your team, and subsequently all fans of your team, are Josh’s B word? If so, I’m sorry for you.”

Best I ever heard was “My lord, you’ve been blessed with a touch of the downs.” 

• Like (+1) 1

I said all last year that the lack of crowds should have helped every offense in every game.

It also kept games relatively quiet, which can only help the nerves of any young player.

I personally think the lack of a crowd would have helped me personally if I was out there.

But the question is how much of a factor was it for any specific player.

I don't think it should be regarded as overly important, whereas your co-worker seems to be hanging his entire argument on this single aspect of the game.

5 hours ago, H2o said:

Good morning my friends and TGIF. Sometimes, usually on Friday mornings when some of us come in for a few hours (usually we work 4  10's), all of us will grab a cup of coffee and bs for a half hour or so about football. One of the other supervisors who was there is a Dolphins fan. We got to talking about the draft, how many teams need a QB, and where we thought people were going. I said I'm glad the Bills finally have a QB after 25 years. Dolphins fan says, "yeah, the jury is still out on that one." I asked him how so? I gave the breakdown of how Josh has gotten better every year in every statistical category. I also said look at the leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, it's insane. He was 2nd in the MVP voting accounting for 46 total TD's and broke all kinds of Bills records for Christ sake. He just says, "Covid, no fans in the stands." He then went on to say because of that Josh was able to go through his pre-snap reads and make multiple play changes if necessary. Reason being there was no crowd noise to distract or hinder him. He said you'll see if he's really the guy this year when everyone has fans in the stands again. I said this may be somewhat true on the checks at the line, but he's still the one back there who has to read the defense, find the open man, and deliver an accurate ball. The lack of fans have nothing to do with his improved accuracy to every level of the field. He said Josh looked pretty shook against KC. Their crowd noise affected him early and then it carried throughout the game. I said there was a whole lot of other ***t that were the determining factors in that game, but crowd noise wasn't high up on that list. After that he just kind of smirked and said, "We'll see." I'm not attributing Josh's success last year to no fans being in stadiums, but it led me create this topic for discussion on here. Imo, he's just continually improving on a yearly basis and I feel that's been evident to all of us here without an ax to grind. Either way, how much do you all attribute Josh's 2020 season to the fact it was played in relative silence on the field?

Zero other qbs played in the same environment how’d they do? Quite frankly if Josh isn’t the best player on the field they lose to the Colts 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

You do realize every other qb dealt with the same circumstances right?