Dolphins Fan Take - Morning JA Discussion At Work

H2o

55 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Life gets infinitely easier when you learn that some people (most, really) are only worth 3 words from you: “You’re an idiot.” 

If you want to get creative you can go further and say: “is this stupid take a result of your bitterness that your team, and subsequently all fans of your team, are Josh’s B word? If so, I’m sorry for you.”

Or even more concisely, “Scoreboard”

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, H2o said:

Good morning my friends and TGIF. Sometimes, usually on Friday mornings when some of us come in for a few hours (usually we work 4  10's), all of us will grab a cup of coffee and bs for a half hour or so about football. One of the other supervisors who was there is a Dolphins fan. We got to talking about the draft, how many teams need a QB, and where we thought people were going. I said I'm glad the Bills finally have a QB after 25 years. Dolphins fan says, "yeah, the jury is still out on that one." I asked him how so? I gave the breakdown of how Josh has gotten better every year in every statistical category. I also said look at the leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, it's insane. He was 2nd in the MVP voting accounting for 46 total TD's and broke all kinds of Bills records for Christ sake. He just says, "Covid, no fans in the stands." He then went on to say because of that Josh was able to go through his pre-snap reads and make multiple play changes if necessary. Reason being there was no crowd noise to distract or hinder him. He said you'll see if he's really the guy this year when everyone has fans in the stands again. I said this may be somewhat true on the checks at the line, but he's still the one back there who has to read the defense, find the open man, and deliver an accurate ball. The lack of fans have nothing to do with his improved accuracy to every level of the field. He said Josh looked pretty shook against KC. Their crowd noise affected him early and then it carried throughout the game. I said there was a whole lot of other ***t that were the determining factors in that game, but crowd noise wasn't high up on that list. After that he just kind of smirked and said, "We'll see." I'm not attributing Josh's success last year to no fans being in stadiums, but it led me create this topic for discussion on here. Imo, he's just continually improving on a yearly basis and I feel that's been evident to all of us here without an ax to grind. Either way, how much do you all attribute Josh's 2020 season to the fact it was played in relative silence on the field?

Did you point out that Josh has Pwn'd the Fins, with fans in the stands, since his arrival in the league?

image.thumb.png.b709f0303446dc2c16c55ea253b6f356.png

Click to embiggen.  The one loss was a Clay endzone drop from a win. 

How does your Phins fan dude feel about Tua as the Fins QB of the Future?

For your guy's comments to have merit, he would have to show that multiple play changes at the line were major factors in the road game wins.

If Josh wasn't reading the play better and throwing more accurately and with anticipation, wouldn't have mattered if he could change the play 4x.  I mean, other teams got to do that too, right?

The guy is clutching at straws, it reeks of jealousy, being that he gets to look forward to Tua, being “a Tua” all season long again..., 😁

I mean, to be fair you asked a fan of a rival team. Try and see it from his side, you’re staring down the barrel of potentially having another perennial mvp candidate in the East after you just got rid of the goat. 

You’re going to hope it was a flash in the pan and your opinion will most likely reflect that bias. 

I’m sure all of us can be tried for the same crime. 

Tua looked lost to me, don’t see the it factor. I don’t think he’s a franchise guy. 

Wilson’s just going to be the next in the qb carousel of failure. Jets gonna jet. 

Sure the Patriots look much better on paper, but they still have Cam, will all of those players gel? 

We’re hoping Josh continues to grow and get better, east rivals hope it was a fluke and he regresses. 

No mystery here. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I mean, to be fair you asked a fan of a rival team. Try and see it from his side, you’re staring down the barrel of potentially having another perennial mvp candidate in the East after you just got rid of the goat. 

You’re going to hope it was a flash in the pan and your opinion will most likely reflect that bias. 

I’m sure all of us can be tried for the same crime. 

Tua looked lost to me, don’t see the it factor. I don’t think he’s a franchise guy. 

Wikson’d just going to be the next in the qb carousel of failure. Jets gonna jet. 

Sure the Patriots look much better on paper, but the have Cam and are the players going to gel? 

We’re hoping Josh continues to grow and get better, east rivals hope it was a fluke and he regresses. 

No mystery here. 

I'm still waiting for teams to figure out Brady's dink and dunk style.  It's gotta happen eventually, and I bet THIS IS THE YEAR!!!

10 minutes ago, flaz said:

Not sure why the injuries, to all four of our wide receivers, don't get the lion's share of the blame for that loss

I'm also puzzled why this has not been discussed more. Don't want to use it as an "excuse", but Beasley and Davis clearly were not the same players in the Champioship game as they were in December. Smoke also was not as effective in any game after he returned as he had been earlier in the year. I really don't think the KC DB's would have been able to play as tight as they did if our, guys were not limited.

9 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

I'm also puzzled why this has not been discussed more. Don't want to use it as an "excuse", but Beasley and Davis clearly were not the same players in the Champioship game as they were in December. Smoke also was not as effective in any game after he returned as he had been earlier in the year. I really don't think the KC DB's would have been able to play as tight as they did if our, guys were not limited.

I don’t think it’s that puzzling honestly. At the risk of coming off as sour grapes our greatest strength was completely washed away by the Chiefs being allowed to hold our receivers all game with “sticky” coverage. 

The refs decided that wasn’t going to fly in the super bowl and the Chiefs were completely outmatched. 

Im not saying we’d definitely win with all things being even but if you’re allowed to take away a teams greatest strength the odds are it’s not going to be pretty. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The guy is clutching at straws, it reeks of jealousy, being that he gets to look forward to Tua, being “a Tua” all season long again..., 😁

Yeah, although a lot of the young guys really benefited from playing in empty stadiums, I was surprised by how bad Tua still looked even without the noise to contend with

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Actually, Josh himself said he was helped by having no crowds this year, so it is a legitimate concern that I have. It's not like I think his game could turn to s*** when the fans are back at full capacity, but I do think he gets so pumped up when the crowd is chanting that he is more liable to make mistakes - overthrows etc. Hopefully he takes everything he learned this past season and continues to play like that. 

How does that explain improvement from first half to second half of year two or from year one to year two? 

50 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Interesting rationalization that Dolphin fans seem to have a habit of.

The take away should be that Josh progressed so much from year two to three that he was really capable of getting into a better play at the line.

It was very noticeable and usually successful.

Instead of hoping that crowd noise, which can be combatted to a certain degree, they should be more concerned that his demonstrated advancement was quite remarkable.

The play changes were undeniable evidence and there is no reason to think that improvement won't continue.

On another note, I occasionally read some of their stuff on their fansite and I find them to be the least aware or realistic fans out there, and they are in total three year denial about Allen. He kills them and they hate him.

The ultimate was when one of them suggested the Dolphins could get a second rounder for Ryan Fitzpatrick at the end of last season. Pure fantasy. 

If I was a fan there, I'd be quite concerned about how Tua looked without crowd noise in Buffalo rather than hoping butts in seats hurt Allen.

The thing is all fans do it to some extent. We do it here. We rationalise to ourselves how the Chiefs are bound to take a step back which could put us in the Superbowl. The Dolphins rationalise us taking a step back which might give them the division. It's just fandom.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Good morning my friends and TGIF. Sometimes, usually on Friday mornings when some of us come in for a few hours (usually we work 4  10's), all of us will grab a cup of coffee and bs for a half hour or so about football. One of the other supervisors who was there is a Dolphins fan. We got to talking about the draft, how many teams need a QB, and where we thought people were going. I said I'm glad the Bills finally have a QB after 25 years. Dolphins fan says, "yeah, the jury is still out on that one." I asked him how so? I gave the breakdown of how Josh has gotten better every year in every statistical category. I also said look at the leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, it's insane. He was 2nd in the MVP voting accounting for 46 total TD's and broke all kinds of Bills records for Christ sake. He just says, "Covid, no fans in the stands." He then went on to say because of that Josh was able to go through his pre-snap reads and make multiple play changes if necessary. Reason being there was no crowd noise to distract or hinder him. He said you'll see if he's really the guy this year when everyone has fans in the stands again. I said this may be somewhat true on the checks at the line, but he's still the one back there who has to read the defense, find the open man, and deliver an accurate ball. The lack of fans have nothing to do with his improved accuracy to every level of the field. He said Josh looked pretty shook against KC. Their crowd noise affected him early and then it carried throughout the game. I said there was a whole lot of other ***t that were the determining factors in that game, but crowd noise wasn't high up on that list. After that he just kind of smirked and said, "We'll see." I'm not attributing Josh's success last year to no fans being in stadiums, but it led me create this topic for discussion on here. Imo, he's just continually improving on a yearly basis and I feel that's been evident to all of us here without an ax to grind. Either way, how much do you all attribute Josh's 2020 season to the fact it was played in relative silence on the field?

I would quit that job pronto, but that’s just me. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is all fans do it to some extent. We do it here. We rationalise to ourselves how the Chiefs are bound to take a step back which could put us in the Superbowl. The Dolphins rationalise us taking a step back which might give them the division. It's just fandom.

While there's certainly some truth to this, my reasons for thinking we can make the Super Bowl (besides the Any Given Sunday of it all) have nothing to do with the Chiefs taking a step back. The Bills have enough young players at key positions and such continuity that I feel it is quite likely we take a step forward. Although, in fairness, I thought it very likely Mahomes would take a step back in his year three, so...

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yeah, although a lot of the young guys really benefited from playing in empty stadiums, I was surprised by how bad Tua still looked even without the noise to contend with

I was going to post this. This is something the OP should say to his supervisor. With a wink.

5 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yup, he has issues, it is especially obvious when he tries to throw a pass, the guy has so little arm strength that he has to use his entire body to throw the ball, and even then there is no zip on the ball.  Tua does not generate functional velocity on his passes, at some point this past season somebody posted QB stats on throwing velocity and Tua ranks near the bottom of qualifying QBs league wide,  imo Tua will be a mediocre BU QB in a few years. 

Very simply put this is a fan of a division rival trying desperately to convince himself that the Bills havnt found an elite qb. There’s really nothing more to it than that. 

I live around a bunch of “Stiller” fans and they absolutely love our QB. I’m sure it has a bit to do with him bringing in shades of a young Big Ben. 

His career road split is significantly better than at home.  Some might say Josh is too amped up when playing at home and I would say it's more the result of playing more extra windy games in an open air stadium in a Great Lakes city but it shows the opposite of what's needed to support a view that Josh can't function during road crowd noise.

1143627918_JoshCareerHomevsRoadSplit.thumb.JPG.49926189e2492ac0cf54d1810a62f906.JPG

image.png

• Like (+1) 3