Dolphins Fan Take - Morning JA Discussion At Work

H2o

Good morning my friends and TGIF. Sometimes, usually on Friday mornings when some of us come in for a few hours (usually we work 4  10's), all of us will grab a cup of coffee and bs for a half hour or so about football. One of the other supervisors who was there is a Dolphins fan. We got to talking about the draft, how many teams need a QB, and where we thought people were going. I said I'm glad the Bills finally have a QB after 25 years. Dolphins fan says, "yeah, the jury is still out on that one." I asked him how so? I gave the breakdown of how Josh has gotten better every year in every statistical category. I also said look at the leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, it's insane. He was 2nd in the MVP voting accounting for 46 total TD's and broke all kinds of Bills records for Christ sake. He just says, "Covid, no fans in the stands." He then went on to say because of that Josh was able to go through his pre-snap reads and make multiple play changes if necessary. Reason being there was no crowd noise to distract or hinder him. He said you'll see if he's really the guy this year when everyone has fans in the stands again. I said this may be somewhat true on the checks at the line, but he's still the one back there who has to read the defense, find the open man, and deliver an accurate ball. The lack of fans have nothing to do with his improved accuracy to every level of the field. He said Josh looked pretty shook against KC. Their crowd noise affected him early and then it carried throughout the game. I said there was a whole lot of other ***t that were the determining factors in that game, but crowd noise wasn't high up on that list. After that he just kind of smirked and said, "We'll see." I'm not attributing Josh's success last year to no fans being in stadiums, but it led me create this topic for discussion on here. Imo, he's just continually improving on a yearly basis and I feel that's been evident to all of us here without an ax to grind. Either way, how much do you all attribute Josh's 2020 season to the fact it was played in relative silence on the field?

• Haha (+1) 3

Life gets infinitely easier when you learn that some people (most, really) are only worth 3 words from you: “You’re an idiot.” 

If you want to get creative you can go further and say: “is this stupid take a result of your bitterness that your team, and subsequently all fans of your team, are Josh’s B word? If so, I’m sorry for you.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

Actually, Josh himself said he was helped by having no crowds this year, so it is a legitimate concern that I have. It's not like I think his game could turn to s*** when the fans are back at full capacity, but I do think he gets so pumped up when the crowd is chanting that he is more liable to make mistakes - overthrows etc. Hopefully he takes everything he learned this past season and continues to play like that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Does he not think every other Quarterback in the NFL had the same benefit in 2020? Do I think it helped Josh on a few plays? Sure. But the KC defense confused us with no fans in the stands in October just as much as it did with a few thousand Chiefs fans at Arrowhead in January. The issue is we can't seem to work out how a team that generally didn't have high end pass rush broke down our generally stout pass protection. They were arguably KC's two best pass rush days of the year in terms of pressures and definitely Buffalo's two worst days in pass protection. That is the biggest issue they have to work out to beat KC in my view. One of the reasons we couldn't go toe to toe with them was we lost up front on offense. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Does he not think every other Quarterback in the NFL had the same benefit in 2020? Do I think it helped Josh on a few plays? Sure. But the KC defense confused us with no fans in the stands in October just as much as it did with a few thousand Chiefs fans at Arrowhead in January. The issue is we can't seem to work out how a team that generally didn't have high end pass rush broke down our generally stout pass protection. They were arguably KC's two best pass rush days of the year in terms of pressures and definitely Buffalo's two worst days in pass protection. That is the biggest issue they have to work out to beat KC in my view. One of the reasons we couldn't go toe to toe with them was we lost up front on offense. 

Steve Spagnola has made a living on this. 

I think the big issue is that we couldn’t beat man off the line. That’s why I think they valued Sanders so much. 

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Steve Spagnola has made a living on this. 

I think the big issue is that we couldn’t beat man off the line. That’s why I think they valued Sanders so much. 

Spags is a great DC. I still think the protection was a bigger issue than the receivers releases though the oline got pummelled in both games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Good.  I’m sure there’s others that feel same way as most Dolphin fans don’t possess ability to form an original thought.  Doubters fuel the fire and that especially seems to be case with Josh.  
If this were the case, Josh’s numbers at home would’ve been significantly better than is usual prior to 2020.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen:

2018 Games 1-6      61.8 rating

2018 Games 7-12    72.6 rating

2019 Games 13-20  82.9 rating

2019 Games 21-27  88.8 rating

2020 Games 29-36 102.4 rating

2020 Games 40-46 111.6 rating

2021 ???

Some fans are in just complete denial. Allen's year three jump was unprecedented sure. A much larger jump than one would have predicted but it's easy to look back and not be surprised that he improved. Diggs alone was probably worth +2 or 3 points to Allen's overall passer ratings last year.  And Diggs isn't going anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Interesting rationalization that Dolphin fans seem to have a habit of.

The take away should be that Josh progressed so much from year two to three that he was really capable of getting into a better play at the line.

It was very noticeable and usually successful.

Instead of hoping that crowd noise, which can be combatted to a certain degree, they should be more concerned that his demonstrated advancement was quite remarkable.

The play changes were undeniable evidence and there is no reason to think that improvement won't continue.

On another note, I occasionally read some of their stuff on their fansite and I find them to be the least aware or realistic fans out there, and they are in total three year denial about Allen. He kills them and they hate him.

The ultimate was when one of them suggested the Dolphins could get a second rounder for Ryan Fitzpatrick at the end of last season. Pure fantasy. 

If I was a fan there, I'd be quite concerned about how Tua looked without crowd noise in Buffalo rather than hoping butts in seats hurt Allen.

• Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, H2o said:

Good morning my friends and TGIF. Sometimes, usually on Friday mornings when some of us come in for a few hours (usually we work 4  10's), all of us will grab a cup of coffee and bs for a half hour or so about football. One of the other supervisors who was there is a Dolphins fan. We got to talking about the draft, how many teams need a QB, and where we thought people were going. I said I'm glad the Bills finally have a QB after 25 years. Dolphins fan says, "yeah, the jury is still out on that one." I asked him how so? I gave the breakdown of how Josh has gotten better every year in every statistical category. I also said look at the leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, it's insane. He was 2nd in the MVP voting accounting for 46 total TD's and broke all kinds of Bills records for Christ sake. He just says, "Covid, no fans in the stands." He then went on to say because of that Josh was able to go through his pre-snap reads and make multiple play changes if necessary. Reason being there was no crowd noise to distract or hinder him. He said you'll see if he's really the guy this year when everyone has fans in the stands again. I said this may be somewhat true on the checks at the line, but he's still the one back there who has to read the defense, find the open man, and deliver an accurate ball. The lack of fans have nothing to do with his improved accuracy to every level of the field. He said Josh looked pretty shook against KC. Their crowd noise affected him early and then it carried throughout the game. I said there was a whole lot of other ***t that were the determining factors in that game, but crowd noise wasn't high up on that list. After that he just kind of smirked and said, "We'll see." I'm not attributing Josh's success last year to no fans being in stadiums, but it led me create this topic for discussion on here. Imo, he's just continually improving on a yearly basis and I feel that's been evident to all of us here without an ax to grind. Either way, how much do you all attribute Josh's 2020 season to the fact it was played in relative silence on the field?

All you needed to say here was "Yes we will" and smirked right back at him.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Josh was definitely shook but because he was pressured all day....just like Mahomes in the Super Bowl.  That's how you beat great QB's.

It’s frustrating when Josh looks shaken, but it can happen to any QB. People forget how shook Brady looked most of the game during his Super Bowl loses to the Giants. 

Well, that point is valid as long as Josh was the only QB that play under those circumstances.

I would accept more if the discussion were because he has only shown it for a year, but not for a situation that every player went troght

Nah, it didn't bother me at all because I've watched Josh every game the last 3 years. Plus I have to take into account that he's semi-mentally disabled being a Dolphins fan and all that. There was no spitting in coffee necessary. I just told him he was salty because he's stuck with the Turnadaballova experience in Miami. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3