Warren Sharp analysis on Bills draft needs

13 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We were below average running the ball and were really bad defending the run.  

I think they'll focus more on the running game this season, especially on the road, because fans will be at games. No way we throw so often with a full house of fans yelling. It's not that easy. We barely tried to run the ball, no surprise we were below average.

Defending the run is still a major concern.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The best way to manage defending against the run is to be explosive in offense as Daboll was doing in the pass game.  When we get up on teams fast, we place them on their heels so they have to pass to keep up.  Therefore, it just reaffirms an Edge Rusher, possibly a behemoth DT, CB opposite Tre, and a big nickel (either a punishing Safety or an undersized but fast LB to convert to big nickel safety to handle TE’s.  

I used to want an explosive RB, but we somewhat filled that gap with Breida.  I think he’ll surprise people the way we’ll use him.  The part I have no idea of we could find as Pitts is a pipe dream is another pass catching TE.  It would be nice to have flexibility at time to 12 personnel.  It might be Hollister.  We’ll see.

This is my wish list and think Beane is looking in these areas if possible.  What a nice thing to have a relatively good roster and can look for these niches vs. all the years of the draft where it seems like where do we start as we need talent everywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2021 at 5:22 AM, DJB said:

Where's all them fools that keep telling me we aren't in nickle that often and its not a need? 

It's a pass-heavy league. Most teams are in Nickel personnel on most snaps. 

But leading the league...could mean we gave up more chunk plays for conversion and/or faced less 3rd and short or 3rd and goal situations where we would sub in our bigger package. Or we may have gone less dime in a prevent defending a close lead.

Not sure I would read too much into that stat.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, CNYfan said:

I wonder in Coach Sean would consider running two separate Nickels?   a TJ24 Nickel and a Big Nickel?   Taron is actually no slouch against the run.

I probably think too much.   

Taron came on last year in Nickel coverage after I was pretty down on him early.

Had no idea he had the wheels he had until I watched him outrun everyone on Baltimore's offense on that 101 yard pick.

Still would like to see him stay healthy for a whole year, but he has some dog in him and does not mind sticking guys with a head of steam so there is always a chance he'll get dinged again.

Love the toughness and grit, just hope he can hold up.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

It's a pass-heavy league. Most teams are in Nickel personnel on most snaps. 

But leading the league...could mean we gave up more chunk plays for conversion and/or faced less 3rd and short or 3rd and goal situations where we would sub in our bigger package. Or we may have gone less dime in a prevent defending a close lead.

Not sure I would read too much into that stat.

It would be interesting to know the situations in which we were in that personelle. 

1 hour ago, DJB said:

It would be interesting to know the situations in which we were in that personelle. 

Prob most situations as it was a balance between decent pass coverage while keeping an extra man in the box in run support.

The defense did get a bit better later in the season at filling gaps and forcing RBs to try to bounce it outside as well as maintaining gap integrity and limiting cut-back opportunities against stretch zone blocking, but stopping the run came at a price.

The price was how well play-action worked to freeze or draw in our extra run defenders leaving the middle of the field open to tight ends and shallow crossers... we were easy pickings.

Also our better run defenders tended to be gassed by the 3rd qtr and we would give up more runs.

Our defense was usually able to slow the better more-balanced teams down, but struggled actually stopping them or getting off the field.

Better coached teams also did not mind not having the deep play and milking the play clock the whole game keeping Allen cooling his heels and frustrated.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

On 4/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, The Governor said:

Bears are shopping their pick.

Here we come!

Ya know, we would have a great shot at one of the 1st tier CB's or even a pass rusher so many crave for if we could pull it off. Dark horse #1 WR potential as well. I like the sound of 2 #1 WR or 2 #1 CB under contract for the next 4 years.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Did McDermott run a “big nickel” defense at Carolina/Philly?

2009 Eagles LBs were Akeem Jordan 6’1” 226 lbs, Jeremiah Trotter 6’1” 262lbs, Chris Gocong 6’2” 263 lbs.

2015 Panthers LBs were Shaq Thompson 6’0” 230lbs, Luke Kuechly 6’3” 240 lbs, Thomas Davis 6’1” 235 lbs.

They ran a basic 4-3 defense. Why all the hype on this “big nickel”? Did the Bills run this gimmick defense because of personnel? With Collins size and movement skills, will McDermott resort to the 2009 Eagles type of defense? 

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

2009 Eagles LBs were Akeem Jordan 6’1” 226 lbs, Jeremiah Trotter 6’1” 262lbs, Chris Gocong 6’2” 263 lbs.

2015 Panthers LBs were Shaq Thompson 6’0” 230lbs, Luke Kuechly 6’3” 240 lbs, Thomas Davis 6’1” 235 lbs.

They ran a basic 4-3 defense. Why all the hype on this “big nickel”? Did the Bills run this gimmick defense because of personnel? With Collins size and movement skills, will McDermott resort to the 2009 Eagles type of defense? 

I don't know if it is much more complicated than you are subbing an extra safety for a DB in your Nickel package.

Many teams use it often as a means to better matchup with athletic TE's...

The idea is to insert more size into your nickel package yet have a player that still has the skill set needed to cover slot receivers, skate with TE's, provide run support, and blitz.

There are actually some decent prospects in this thin draft; LB/S tweeners and pure college safeties that could fit the bill.

Taron Johnson, Marlowe, and Neal are used in this role for the Bills. Taron had the most reps, prob the best in zone coverage - at least down the stretch. Johnson is the smallest of the 3.

Frazier rarely gave them the green light for zone dog/fire zone blitzes, but the few times he turned Marlowe and Johnson loose they got into the backfield and produced a handful of sacks.

Johnson plays fearless, but with his smaller frame gets dinged often. He struggled early last season picking up his assignments in coverage, but had some game-changing red-zone plays later in the season.

Seemed like he earned more defensive snaps as the season progressed.

A nickle player (safety) that could better matchup size-wise and in coverage vs TEs is still a need on this team.

An older article about McDermott's "Buffalo Nickel" concept is an interesting read in hindsight.

McD would sub an extra LB rather than another Safety into his heavy nickel packages, but the theory is it was more out of necessity as he did not have the athletic depth at safety and was better off subbing his LB who had coverage skills.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/7/17/15981386/sean-mcdermotts-buffalo-nickel-defense-explained-matt-milano-buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1