Why can't Brandon Beane get the defense right?

On 4/15/2021 at 4:53 PM, FireChans said:

Honestly, it's kind of shocking how much worse his defensive acquisitions have been compared to Sean. 

Who are our best defenders currently on the roster? 

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?  4 of those players were acquired by McD without the McBeane.  Jerry was obviously already here.

Compare it to the list of hacks that Beane has acquired. I'd type out all the bums and disappointments but it'd take too long.

All I know is if you eliminate the 2017 fellas, our defense would be the worst in the NFL.  If you eliminate Beane's JAG brigade, eh, we'd be okay.

Is it time for McD to make the picks again? Beane got the QB, let's thank him for his service and let's put the King of William and Mary back in the Kirk chair.

If not for the 34 to 43 to 34 Whaley did pretty well stocking a defense. 

getting the qb right is much more important though 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:02 AM, Arm of Harm said:

Yeah. I'm just not seeing it. That "top unit" played poorly against the Colts in the playoffs, and got absolutely torched by KC. KC played three postseason games. Their game against the Bills was by far their offense's best of the three.

During the regular season, the defense didn't have very many good games against good quarterbacks, except for their performance against Justin Herbert. The defense definitely needs improvement, whether that's a change in the way it's coached, or additional players, or Star coming back, or Harrison Phillips getting healthy, or improvement from guys like Oliver, Edmunds, or Epenesa.

Against the Colts, our D gave up a lot of yards, but had some pretty epic moments.  I don't see how you can look at that goal line stand midway through the second and say "played poorly".  1st and 4 from the Buffalo 4 and TOD?  C'mon, Man.  They were leading 10-7 at the time and had a chance to put a 17-7 lead on us.

KC game, McDermott's comment was he got outcoached.  No argument there was a poor game on D.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Against the Colts, our D gave up a lot of yards, but had some pretty epic moments.  I don't see how you can look at that goal line stand midway through the second and say "played poorly".  1st and 4 from the Buffalo 4 and TOD?  C'mon, Man.  They were leading 10-7 at the time and had a chance to put a 17-7 lead on us.

KC game, McDermott's comment was he got outcoached.  No argument there was a poor game on D.

Goal line stand was great, but those 2 or 3 scores Colts got in like 2 mins each time was a big issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The goal line stand was helped out immensely by Philip Rivers, who missed a wide open receiver in the back of the end zone as he back peddle backwards into pressure for no apparent reason and overthrew him off his back foot. 

Yeah was a game where Bills D game them many chances to win and while Rivers made some plays he also helped Bills D at times with those mistakes

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/15/2021 at 6:06 PM, mushypeaches said:

This is a ridiculous assertion.  We've had a top defense until last year when some injuries and opt-outs hurt a lot more than any draft or FA misses did.

And frankly, I'm much happier that they have a top offense and a middling defense vs having a top defense and a middling offense

It's a much stronger and sustainable brand of football.  

Would you prefer that we bring another GM in to make these decisions???  Again - ridiculous

The defense last year wasn't even bad so idk why people complain about it so much. I guess I understand we're used to being some alternate version of the Bears, but it's not like the defense was below average.

• Disagree 2

On 4/15/2021 at 5:03 PM, NI Bills Fan said:

Given how close Beane and McDermott work, I'm not sure any defensive players would be recruited by Beane without the seal of approval from McDermott. 

This is so true everything they do is hand & hand. They work as a unit if one fails they both do that’s what I love about them. And think other teams want what we have how many times do we hear a GM and coach not getting along. Or if there doing all the cooking they want to have a say in the groceries. 

On 4/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, glazeduck said:

While I candidly have not seen the data on this, so don't know if it's effecting things or not, it should also be mentioned along with the defense's "regression", that that tends to happen when your offense puts up more points and plays at a faster pace. I believe we were one of the fastest paced teams last season and we were certainly one of the highest scoring offenses, so purely from a "time on field" standpoint, our defense was going to be worse... Whether that's still true prorated for pace of play and other factors, I'm not sure.

It's also extremely silly to pretend like Beane is the only one providing input on these selections. They're absolutely collaborating on making these decisions. Furthermore, the more recently drafted guys have also suffered injuries or (though I'm loathe to defend him), like Oliver, forced into bad roles because of other injuries... I think it's pretty likely the D looks better this year.

Eh, the three-and-out offenses before last year left the defense on the field a lot.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:32 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Knowing him doesn't make his clown threads less insufferable. 

On 4/17/2021 at 2:36 AM, FireChans said:

Lighten up Francis. Take a deep breath.

Thing is, when he's right, he's right.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:09 PM, FireChans said:

Name which defenders are currently on our roster and better than the ones I listed?

Just read my post again. It was correct then and correct now. Tre and Milano are the two best. Beyond that there's a bunch of good guys without much between them. The other two brought in before Beane got here to help are among that group, a group of older guys who play very well in the scheme and a group of younger guys who look like they're still developing, also helped out by the scheme. 

But leaving Oliver and our two-time Pro bowler out shows what nearly most people answering this thread are telling you ... your evaluations are clearly off.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

In this scenario, you're the sloth.

How many defensive starters did we have opt out?

The one we were physically unable to replace, particularly that late in the process. The planet theory guy.

Did we wax the Chiefs offense when we had a week to prepare in the postseason? Kind of a weak excuse tbh. 

So, that's your new benchmark for a good defense? One that's able to wax the Chiefs offense? Could you real quick write up a list of 7 or 8 defenses that were good by that measure?

And it sure ain't like our offense waxed the Chiefs defense, is it? By your definition, the offense must also suck.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The goal line stand was helped out immensely by Philip Rivers, who missed a wide open receiver in the back of the end zone as he back peddled backwards into pressure for no apparent reason and overthrew him off his back foot. 

It was nonsense the last time you printed, word for word, this same comment. 

Still nonsense.

In fact, that reciever was about a half a step open, and hadn't fully come across the field into his open space when the pressure reached Rivers. He had to work through the trash in the middle of the field. 

And Butler and Addison were both less than a step from Rivers when he let it go. Neither guy had gone wide, they both ran through their OL's outside shoulder. There wasn't room for Rivers to do much of anything else. 

It was a damn good play by the Bills defense, forcing Rivers back off his spot and making the play tougher than it would have been if they'd been able to protect Rivers better. Rivers had to throw it an instant before he wanted to, and that threw off the timing.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/17/2021 at 9:57 AM, FireChans said:

You mean Nix.

Yes, you're right about this. The defense attributed to Whaley was mostly actually brought in under Nix. Whaley was part of the brain trust at that point, but the buck stopped with Nix.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

😅

The pressure "reached" Rivers because he back peddled into the pressure for no apparent reason when he had a clean pocket infront of him. 

It was a damn good play by Philip Rivers for the Bills defense. 

Your wrong again. 

You're right that the play reached Rivers - where it reached him - because he back-pedaled.

If he hadn't back-pedaled, the rush would have reached him much earlier. 

Sorry, man, that pocket was not clear up the middle, it simply wasn't. Butler and Addison pushed their guys back into Rivers. They didn't run the hoop and meet at the QB. They bull-rushed on the outside shoulder. If Rivers hadn't backed up, the blockers would have stepped on his legs two or three yards earlier. There was about half a yard between the two OLs at Rivers' original depth. He'd have almost certainly been constricted and swallowed up. 

If it had been maybe a five-step drop from center, then yeah, there was room to step up, but this was a slow-developing play. He was in shotgun and the design had him dropping to the 12 yard line at least. But the DLs had pushed the pocket to about the ten, and though they were stopped there, the DEs had beaten their guys by about the 12 or 13. The space available was too small to reach between the two DEs. Hughes and Butler were running a stunt and the pocket was narrow and unpredictable-looking early in the play.

Pittman took forever to run the pattern ... he was outside in trips, took a step forward and stopped to cut under the other two then ran sideways under the LBs. By the time Rivers hit the 13 yard line, Pittman hadn't even reached the hashes on the right side, much less the middle of the field, and he was running right towards Milano. Hadn't even reached Milano when Rivers had to throw it. 

Instead he at least got the ball away, though not from where he'd have liked. He had to feather it way over the top and try to give Pittman a chance to run under it. The Bills had it well-defended.

It's not only your spelling that is just so wrong on this.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

In this scenario, you're the sloth.

The one we were physically unable to replace, particularly that late in the process. The planet theory guy.

So, that's your new benchmark for a good defense? One that's able to wax the Chiefs offense? Could you real quick write up a list of 7 or 8 defenses that were good by that measure?

And it sure ain't like our offense waxed the Chiefs defense, is it? By your definition, the offense must also suck.

Of course a Beane Truther is also a “Star Loutotototototlelelele is irreplaceable” guy.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Of course a Beane Truther is also a “Star Loutotototototlelelele is irreplaceable” guy.

He didn't say Star is irreplaceable. He said the Bills were unable to replace him last year with the limited options they had, which is obviously true. They tried rotating Butler, Phillips, and Zimmer to fill that one spot, and the results were terrible. Phillips and Zimmer in particular regularly got blown off the ball. It was so bad that they had to play Oliver at 1-tech because despite being a natural 3-tech he was still better than any of the other players they tried to give the job to.

I see NC State DT Alim McNeill as a potential 3rd round option for the Bills. They need to find a developmental backup and long term replacement for Star so last year's problems don't resurface.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2