Why can't Brandon Beane get the defense right?

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Knowing him doesn't make his clown threads less insufferable. 

Lighten up Francis. Take a deep breath.

38 minutes ago, Cantankeous said:

Who is this guy? Is this a schitk I’m unfamiliar with? Like some clever posters are known for? 
if so, weak effort. If not, I recommend implementing one year, ‘prove it’ posting deals be considered.

The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Bolded was your response to my post:

The L.A. Rams had the #1 Defense last year and they had 1 player opt out, which led the league in fewest number of opt-out players. 

The Rams didn't have to change their schedule due to the impact of COVID, whereas a number of other teams including the Bills who did...and in fact played the Titans and Chiefs who were two of the best AFC teams from the year prior and proved to be again this year in back-to-back weeks, which impacted their Defense

Regarding the Rams: of the 6 games in which the Defense allowed more than 300 yards to the opponent's Offense, 4 of them came in the first 8 games - so half of their first 8 played and another which fell just short at 295 yards. Meaning, their Defense got much better as the season went on as well, but they had all of their previous year's starters, and one Aaron Donald which played at an MVP level. Not shockingly, the first three games were among the worst 4 games in yards allowed and in the final 8 games of the regular season, 5 of their best games all came in succession to end the season. In other words, the Rams' #1 Defense got better over the course of the year, generally speaking, AND didn't have COVID opt outs or schedule changes, significant injuries to starters, had a MVP level performance from an already DPOY from Donald, and played a weaker schedule than the Bills since the Bills had THE toughest schedule in the NFL. 

Again, this is just for context. I'm NOT saying the Bills Defense is or was better or any of that...but to say that Beane can't draft players or bring in quality FAs that can have a measurable impact on the Defense, is a blatant disregard for logic and facts. Sometimes, we want to see the '85 Bears Defense all the time, in every game, every year and we fail to account for context. IMHO, that was what your statement of opinion failed to do...take the totality of circumstances into effect, not to mention the several years prior that showed Beane does in fact have a pretty solid track record for Drafting difference makers on both sides of the ball. McD has his in-put no doubt, but to attribute it all or nothing to either person would be faulty in my mind. 

How many defensive starters did we have opt out?

Did the Rams also have to deal with a shortened offseason?

Did we wax the Chiefs offense when we had a week to prepare in the postseason? Kind of a weak excuse tbh. 

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Did we wax the Chiefs offense when we had a week to prepare in the postseason? Kind of a weak excuse tbh. 

Answer the questions yourself. Stop begging us for attention.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You know you just can’t quit me.

You're right, the forum software sucks and ignore doesn't completely remove the person from view and the policy of this board that more traffic is better than quality makes it near impossible without just leaving the forum all together.

On top of that, my personal crusade against those who feel that their own intrinsic need to post bait topics to get attention urges me to respond since I can't outright ignore them. 

Congratulations on your success. 

1 hour ago, Cantankeous said:

Who is this guy? Is this a schitk I’m unfamiliar with? Like some clever posters are known for? 
if so, weak effort. If not, I recommend implementing one year, ‘prove it’ posting deals be considered.

He’s known for it

57 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Sure .  But didn't the guy who said that get killed by a dwarf. while sitting on the crapper in an outhouse.  

Edited by prissythecat

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, it's kind of shocking how much worse his defensive acquisitions have been compared to Sean. 

Who are our best defenders currently on the roster? 

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?  4 of those players were acquired by McD without the McBeane.  Jerry was obviously already here.

Compare it to the list of hacks that Beane has acquired. I'd type out all the bums and disappointments but it'd take too long.

All I know is if you eliminate the 2017 fellas, our defense would be the worst in the NFL.  If you eliminate Beane's JAG brigade, eh, we'd be okay.

Is it time for McD to make the picks again? Beane got the QB, let's thank him for his service and let's put the King of William and Mary back in the Kirk chair.

Since taking over as the Bills GM in 2017, Brandon Beane has spent only four draft premium picks (defined as Rounds 1-3) on the defense.  In contrast, he has spent six premium picks (including the 1st Rounder for Stefon Diggs) on the offense.  So the first answer to your question, is that Beane has thus far put a little more focus on the offensive side of the ball.  Especially at QB, WR and O-Line.  

To expand on this point, you forget that until the 2020 (unexpected) down season, the Bills defense was Top 5 in the NFL.  When you are already set at certain positions, you tend to focus on other places.  Until now, Beane has no reason to add immediate impact players on defense.  After adding Tremaine Edmunds to play MLB, both starting linebacker spots were good.  With Tre White, Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde already on the team, he's pretty much just brought in competition for the #2 CB spot, and left the secondary alone for 2-3 years now.  

That pretty much just leaves the D-Line spots outside of Jerry Hughes.  Almost ALL of the veteran player losses since Beane has taken over have been on the defensive front seven.  Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander retiring.  Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips leaving in free agency.  Star Lotulelei opting out.  All of this has affected the overall continuity and success on the D-Line.  But again, it really didn't show until last year.  

As a second answer to your question, I think your view of a "successful" draft pick or free agent signing is a little bit skewed.  Not every player can be an HUGE IMPACT All-Pro star in the NFL.  Not every guy shows up as a monster on the stat sheet.  If a GM is able to grab a solid NFL starter, then I believe he's done a good job.  

• I know that Bills fans argue endlessly about Edmunds.  But the guy has been a starter in every NFL game he's every played in, has amassed over 110 tackles in each season of his career, and has been voted to the Pro-Bowl each of the last two years.  If he becomes a free agent next year, he's going to be a full-time starter on his next team too.  It's ridiculous to argue that he's a busted pick.
  • In the same way, Ed Oliver has not become a huge force yet.  But he absolutely was a solid starter last year, despite playing out of position (1-Tech) and taking double-teams a good chunk of the season.  Don't be surprised if he takes a step this season. 
  • Many felt Harrison Phillips was ready to step into the 1-Tech starting role ahead of Star Lotulelei, prior to tearing his ACL. This was an unfortunate injury that he may never fully recover from.  And obviously not Beane's fault. 
  • The Bills drafted A.J. Epenesa with the intention of completely changing his physique, and turning him from a strictly power rusher into a more versatile player.  You can't judge him after one rookie season in the pros.

On the free agent side, guys like Lotulelei and Mario Addison are considered disappointments by the fanbase.  But they are solid starters.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

And failing to see the rest of the points is kind of a weak approach to the situation.

21 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Given how close Beane and McDermott work, I'm not sure any defensive players would be recruited by Beane without the seal of approval from McDermott. 

Was going to say the same exact thing.  Some of the pickups could have been more on McDermott as well.  An average year for the D and people think the sky is falling

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

You lost your argument in this thread give it up.

23 hours ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, it's kind of shocking how much worse his defensive acquisitions have been compared to Sean. 

Who are our best defenders currently on the roster? 

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?  4 of those players were acquired by McD without the McBeane.  Jerry was obviously already here.

Compare it to the list of hacks that Beane has acquired. I'd type out all the bums and disappointments but it'd take too long.

All I know is if you eliminate the 2017 fellas, our defense would be the worst in the NFL.  If you eliminate Beane's JAG brigade, eh, we'd be okay.

Is it time for McD to make the picks again? Beane got the QB, let's thank him for his service and let's put the King of William and Mary back in the Kirk chair.

I assume you're fine with his offensive acquisitions, as well as special teams, but I'm curious how you feel about AJ Klein?

Edited by Rocky Landing

4 hours ago, Cantankeous said:

This here is and example of an opportunity for good practical humor, when someone does something like this, you fill their car to the top of the seats with bird seed..., it’s inexpensive and relatively harmless yet quite funny,

but that could just be me..,, 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Extremely relevant in a topic about the defense.

EYEROLL

So did the #1 defense last year have to deal with personnel changes, opt outs or a shortened offseason? 

Name which defenders are currently on our roster and better than the ones I listed?

Intentionally or not, you typed out the list of hacks and bums and I salute you. Point well made.

Chan’s the offense is relevant to the defense.  C’mon bud.  Having a #2 offense means you can get to a championship game with a 14th defense.  Just like in 2019 we had the 24th offense and the 3rd best defense.  It’s a balancing act.  Maybe you’re frustrated as some were hard on you, but they are linked.

If anything look at the SB Champs, the Bucs.  They were 6th and 7th 8n the offense and defense, but in 2019 they were 3rd in offense even though Winston threw 30 picks, but were 15th in defense.  My point is you’re right we need to be balanced, but it’s odd to see a team top 5 on both sides of the ball.  Usually something gives.  If we simply can get to 8-10th in defense and stay top 5 in offense, we should be great.  It’s not a miracle needed on defense, just a small improvement will go a long way.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:58 PM, Nick the Greek said:

The D has been carrying the team for the past few years, prior only to last year. I was sad to see the D regress a little last year but they can’t be a top 5 unit every year. 

Truer words could not be posted.....

The D has been "top 5" 3 times in the last 15 seasons.  Only 1 time in 6 years if you go by points allowed.

The O has outranked the D 3 of the past 6 years.

6 hours ago, Cantankeous said:

Bold words for a guy with a handful of posts...

• Haha (+1) 1