Why can't Brandon Beane get the defense right?

32 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

2020 Team Defensive Stats

Overall 14th

Pass Defense 13th

Run Defense 17th

Pts. Defense 16th

Average.  Not bad.  Oh, and we are 2nd in offense.

Insert eyeroll. ➡️ :rolleyes: ⬅️

Done 

Edited by H2o

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Every team had no offseason last year. It was a global pandemic, not just in Erie County.

Our per drive averages were mediocre.

Which is why the NFL last year saw historic numbers of Offensive production. The lack of Pre-Season and normal off-season programming affected Defenses more than it did Offenses for a variety of reasons. The Bills were not the only team to have a slow start to their Defensive season. More importantly, their adaptation to the personnel changes forced by injuries, opt-outs, and player subs leading to a very good second half of the season Defense shows just how little insight you have into what Beane has or hasn't done.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Which is why the NFL last year saw historic numbers of Offensive production. The lack of Pre-Season and normal off-season programming affected Defenses more than it did Offenses for a variety of reasons. The Bills were not the only team to have a slow start to their Defensive season. More importantly, their adaptation to the personnel changes forced by injuries, opt-outs, and player subs leading to a very good second half of the season Defense shows just how little insight you have into what Beane has or hasn't done.

100% correct. As with the Bills, a lot of teams saw their Defense get better anywhere from 4-8 games into the season.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

One down year isn't enough to proclaim Beane can't get the defense right. The year before they were a clear top 5 defense. And it's not like Beane 

made any moves that actively made the defense worse.

I see the defense getting back to form this year, not because of anything Beane does but because I expect McDermott to recognize that his scheme got figured out and work crazy hard to fix it. Especially against the Chiefs he just needs to have a better plan. Leaving Edmunds on an island with Kelce isn't a winning strategy.

I also am more optimistic than most on here that Star's return will have a huge impact. Carolina's defense took a big step back when he left them, and the same happened to us when he opted out. He is really underrated on this board. McDermott's scheme just doesn't work without that role being filled competently, and Star not being here meant we had to play JAGs like Justin Zimmer and Harrison Phillips in his spot, or force Oliver out of his natural position. In fact I'll be shocked if we don't draft a 1-tech somewhere in this draft because there's no way they let that happen again.

In 2019 Edmunds looked like a solid player who was ascending, and he inexplicably regressed last year even accounting for his injury. Why is Beane responsible for that? Oliver looked he was ascending at the end of 2019, then he had to split 3-tech and 1-tech duties in 2020. That isn't Beane's fault either. With Epenesa it is way too early to say anything. Harrison Phillips looks like a bad pick to me but he was drafted at the bottom of the 3rd round. Those aren't going to be hits too often.

It's a weird time of year to post this thread. The draft is in 2 weeks and there's a lot of young talented players on defense that could possibly reach their potential this year. If it's halfway through the season and we're seeing the same problems as last year then you can make a thread like this.

Thank you sir!!!  I also am in the minority that Star provides MUCH more than most people here would like to or care to admit.  Last season the Bills had to make major adjustments moving players ill suited for that Star spot.  Even so they managed to run off 15 wins.  With Star back, the D returns players back to their normal DRAFTED positions and allows them to play McD's scheme better.  IMHO Edmunds regressed due to the fact there was no one tying up the middle.  In 2019 TE did look like he was a rising star, injuries and lack of a big man up front made him look bad.

Happy Days are on the way.....like you stated - a draft is ahead of us and so is a full off season of activities.  I am hopeful for a decent training camp and preseason to iron out the kinks and see the D return to 2019 form.  Again - thanks for this insight....I am Kwai San and I approve of this message. 😁

We are in a great spot.  You know why?  Because we were so damn good at 13-3 we pick late in the draft.  That is a great accomplishment.  Other teams dealt with this fir years.  Seattle when they went to back to back SB’s, the Steelers forever, the Cheats, and so on.  If we are good in the FO, they’ll figure it out.

We kept the band together.  That’s a very good thing.  Do you know who turns over their rosters?  Bad teams as they can’t figure it out.  We will add a piece or two and this isn’t a let’s fix everything today.  I could give so many examples, but there is room for improvement with who we have on the roster right now.

Lets see what happens in the draft and we’ll know a little more on their plans.

It's discouraging that we've spent a decent amount of draft capital on RB's and the D-line over the last 2-3 drafts, talking day 1 and day 2 picks, and yet going into this years draft those seem to be our highest positions of need. That said, if RB is one of your highest positions of need you are probably doing something right overall.

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

In today’s NFL, defense is so overrated it’s sick. Hold a team to under 27ish and you should win.

all about the offense. Offense offense  offense.

I look at it this way:

Offenses get you to the playoffs with ease. 

But defenses time and time again have put the clamps down on elite offenses in the Super Bowl. My theory on that is when you get that deep into the playoffs, talking conference title games and Super Bowl, generally speaking, everyone has a good QB and good offense. So no surprise more often than not the team with the best defense ends up prevailing. 

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

2020 Team Defensive Stats

Overall 14th

Pass Defense 13th

Run Defense 17th

Pts. Defense 16th

Average.  Not bad.  Oh, and we are 2nd in offense.

Insert eyeroll.

Extremely relevant in a topic about the defense.

EYEROLL

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

So did the #1 defense last year have to deal with personnel changes, opt outs or a shortened offseason? 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I do notice something.

I notice the list is fairly arbitrary.

After Tre and Milano we've got a lot of pretty good guys who would be grouped pretty close together.

He does.

Name which defenders are currently on our roster and better than the ones I listed?

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please don't worry, I'm sure I'll do something PDQ to resolve that.

If you interpret me as supporting your point, you're misinterpreting

Intentionally or not, you typed out the list of hacks and bums and I salute you. Point well made.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

EYEROLL

So did the #1 defense last year have to deal with personnel changes, opt outs or a shortened offseason? 

Name which defenders are currently on our roster and better than the ones I listed?

Intentionally or not, you typed out the list of hacks and bums and I salute you. Point well made.

Bolded was your response to my post:

The L.A. Rams had the #1 Defense last year and they had 1 player opt out, which led the league in fewest number of opt-out players. 

The Rams didn't have to change their schedule due to the impact of COVID, whereas a number of other teams including the Bills who did...and in fact played the Titans and Chiefs who were two of the best AFC teams from the year prior and proved to be again this year in back-to-back weeks, which impacted their Defense

Regarding the Rams: of the 6 games in which the Defense allowed more than 300 yards to the opponent's Offense, 4 of them came in the first 8 games - so half of their first 8 played and another which fell just short at 295 yards. Meaning, their Defense got much better as the season went on as well, but they had all of their previous year's starters, and one Aaron Donald which played at an MVP level. Not shockingly, the first three games were among the worst 4 games in yards allowed and in the final 8 games of the regular season, 5 of their best games all came in succession to end the season. In other words, the Rams' #1 Defense got better over the course of the year, generally speaking, AND didn't have COVID opt outs or schedule changes, significant injuries to starters, had a MVP level performance from an already DPOY from Donald, and played a weaker schedule than the Bills since the Bills had THE toughest schedule in the NFL. 

Again, this is just for context. I'm NOT saying the Bills Defense is or was better or any of that...but to say that Beane can't draft players or bring in quality FAs that can have a measurable impact on the Defense, is a blatant disregard for logic and facts. Sometimes, we want to see the '85 Bears Defense all the time, in every game, every year and we fail to account for context. IMHO, that was what your statement of opinion failed to do...take the totality of circumstances into effect, not to mention the several years prior that showed Beane does in fact have a pretty solid track record for Drafting difference makers on both sides of the ball. McD has his in-put no doubt, but to attribute it all or nothing to either person would be faulty in my mind. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

Progression counts and they got better as the season went on, became a top unit. This thread went as bad as your ST thread.

Yeah. I'm just not seeing it. That "top unit" played poorly against the Colts in the playoffs, and got absolutely torched by KC. KC played three postseason games. Their game against the Bills was by far their offense's best of the three.

During the regular season, the defense didn't have very many good games against good quarterbacks, except for their performance against Justin Herbert. The defense definitely needs improvement, whether that's a change in the way it's coached, or additional players, or Star coming back, or Harrison Phillips getting healthy, or improvement from guys like Oliver, Edmunds, or Epenesa.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

EYEROLL

Oh God Reaction GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

EYEROLL

OK Nostradamus why don't you edit your OP and give your prediction as to where the Bills D will be ranked in Points and Yards Against in 2021.

It should be easy with an expert like you.

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

I realize that reality is of little importance to you and I am loathe to give you the attention you so desperately crave, but this info is not exactly hard to find so I ask why you didn't answer these questions yourself? 

The #1 defense in 2020 had no opt outs and was one of the lowest in roster turnover (no "starters" changed from 2019). All of their coaches returned.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, it's kind of shocking how much worse his defensive acquisitions have been compared to Sean. 

Who are our best defenders currently on the roster? 

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?  4 of those players were acquired by McD without the McBeane.  Jerry was obviously already here.

Compare it to the list of hacks that Beane has acquired. I'd type out all the bums and disappointments but it'd take too long.

All I know is if you eliminate the 2017 fellas, our defense would be the worst in the NFL.  If you eliminate Beane's JAG brigade, eh, we'd be okay.

Is it time for McD to make the picks again? Beane got the QB, let's thank him for his service and let's put the King of William and Mary back in the Kirk chair.

Who is this guy? Is this a schitk I’m unfamiliar with? Like some clever posters are known for? 
if so, weak effort. If not, I recommend implementing one year, ‘prove it’ posting deals be considered.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I realize that reality is of little importance to you and I am loathe to give you the attention you so desperately crave, but this info is not exactly hard to find so I ask why you didn't answer these questions yourself? 

The #1 defense in 2020 had no opt outs and was one of the lowest in roster turnover (no "starters" changed from 2019). All of their coaches returned.

Agreed, as my follow-up to his question provided additional context also. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Given how close Beane and McDermott work, I'm not sure any defensive players would be recruited by Beane without the seal of approval from McDermott. 

Exactly, you can't blame Beane and pretend McD has zero to do with picking his defensive personnel. 

Honestly though they aren't as bad as everyone makes out. Need a really good playmaker of course, but who doesnt.

• Like (+1) 1