Why can't Brandon Beane get the defense right?

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, it's kind of shocking how much worse his defensive acquisitions have been compared to Sean. 

Who are our best defenders currently on the roster? 

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?  4 of those players were acquired by McD without the McBeane.  Jerry was obviously already here.

Compare it to the list of hacks that Beane has acquired. I'd type out all the bums and disappointments but it'd take too long.

All I know is if you eliminate the 2017 fellas, our defense would be the worst in the NFL.  If you eliminate Beane's JAG brigade, eh, we'd be okay.

Is it time for McD to make the picks again? Beane got the QB, let's thank him for his service and let's put the King of William and Mary back in the Kirk chair.

In 2019 we were 2nd in the NFL in defensive scoring.

We didn't even get it right in 2019 too.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/season/2019/seasontype/2/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc

so everyone wants facts here we go

1) The bills were 15-3 last season

Check yup that's right

2) we only lost 3 games check

One by a hale marry where watch the play again someone on the bills got tackled and 2 bills players did not knock the ball to the ground.

What that game did do is make the team stronger from within. Stats confirm it.

But why look at stats

3) the two kc games they were allowed to mug our d line and get away with it and 3 starters were out for the first game. Playoffs game there dbs were allowed to pick bucket our w rs 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, it's kind of shocking how much worse his defensive acquisitions have been compared to Sean. 

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?  4 of those players were acquired by McD without the McBeane.  Jerry was obviously already here.

Compare it to the list of hacks that Beane has acquired. I'd type out all the bums and disappointments but it'd take too long.

All I know is if you eliminate the 2017 fellas, our defense would be the worst in the NFL.  If you eliminate Beane's JAG brigade, eh, we'd be okay.

Is it time for McD to make the picks again? Beane got the QB, let's thank him for his service and let's put the King of William and Mary back in the Kirk chair.

we’re all friends here right? Was there anything like this going on before this OP was formulated?

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493befr6rmgi9dslflbgwi

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The focus has been on the offense since Beane has been here.  Very little has been done on the defense apart from bringing in depth.

*blink* um, really?

2018 1st round, 3rd round, 4th round, 5th round all D (no 2nd round pick)

2019 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th all D (no 4th round pick)

2020 2nd and 7th D (no 1st

2 first round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick in 3 years doesn't seem like "very little"

And that's not considering free agent signings Star Lotulelei (2018), Trent Murphy (2018), Jordan Phillips (2018), Vernon Butler (2020), Mario Addison (2020), Quinton Jefferson (2020), Josh Norman (2020), AJ Klein (2020), and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

Look, there are famously very few players left on the roster since before Beane and McDermott arrived, you can't have that be the case without a lot having been done on D.

A lot of what they've done, you might consider to be of little or no impact, but the point is - they brought in guys and paid them good money, and drafted guys.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Methinks OP has a point and folks should not be so quick to vilify him/her. There is no doubt we are super happy with Beane overall. That said, his draftees on defense still have something to prove. 

Let us hope that Oliver and Epenesa and Edmunds will start playing upto their potential and Beane will have the last laugh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

The problem with OP’s logic is it presupposes without any real evidence, that McD is not involved in the draft process (at all) since Beane came on board—on the contrary both men have talked many times before how they are sympatico in their vision for the team and evaluation of their roster...or am I just imagining that? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea...  understood that Beanes only been here 3 years, but has he drafted/signed any great defensive players? 

Thank you for your consistency. You are a rock we know we can count on.   :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, scuba guy said:

so everyone wants facts here we go

1) The bills were 15-3 last season

Check yup that's right

2) we only lost 3 games check

One by a hale marry where watch the play again someone on the bills got tackled and 2 bills players did not knock the ball to the ground.

What that game did do is make the team stronger from within. Stats confirm it.

But why look at stats

3) the two kc games they were allowed to mug our d line and get away with it and 3 starters were out for the first game. Playoffs game there dbs were allowed to pick bucket our w rs 

In regards to point 3.... ok, but the refs allowed it.  Where are the adjustments?  

On the offense, we let Brown go and signed Sanders.  That seems like a direct reflection of the KC gameplan where we needed healthy, separation WRs who don’t get jammed up by physical corners.   

On defense, I’m still seeing the same guys plus Star.  Edmunds, Oliver and Epenesa are all candidates to make a needed jump and the coaching philosophy against KC can certainly be improved.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*blink* um, really?

2018 1st round, 3rd round, 4th round, 5th round all D (no 2nd round pick)

2019 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th all D (no 4th round pick)

2020 2nd and 7th D (no 1st

2 first round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick in 3 years doesn't seem like "very little"

And that's not considering free agent signings Star Lotulelei (2018), Trent Murphy (2018), Jordan Phillips (2018), Vernon Butler (2020), Mario Addison (2020), Quinton Jefferson (2020), Josh Norman (2020), AJ Klein (2020), and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

Look, there are famously very few players left on the roster since before Beane and McDermott arrived, you can't have that be the case without a lot having been done on D.

A lot of what they've done, you might consider to be of little or no impact, but the point is - they brought in guys and paid them good money, and drafted guys.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

This is why Hap is my favorite mod (for today)

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea...  understood that Beanes only been here 3 years, but has he drafted/signed any great defensive players? 

I was addressing @MJS comment that

The focus has been on the offense since Beane has been here.  Very little has been done on the defense apart from bringing in depth.

I believe that to be mistaken.  High draft picks and FA dollars have been invested.

I feel fairly confident that if I reviewed your posting history prior to last season, you would be asking "has he drafted/signed any great offensive players?"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One down year isn't enough to proclaim Beane can't get the defense right. The year before they were a clear top 5 defense. And it's not like Beane 

made any moves that actively made the defense worse.

I see the defense getting back to form this year, not because of anything Beane does but because I expect McDermott to recognize that his scheme got figured out and work crazy hard to fix it. Especially against the Chiefs he just needs to have a better plan. Leaving Edmunds on an island with Kelce isn't a winning strategy.

I also am more optimistic than most on here that Star's return will have a huge impact. Carolina's defense took a big step back when he left them, and the same happened to us when he opted out. He is really underrated on this board. McDermott's scheme just doesn't work without that role being filled competently, and Star not being here meant we had to play JAGs like Justin Zimmer and Harrison Phillips in his spot, or force Oliver out of his natural position. In fact I'll be shocked if we don't draft a 1-tech somewhere in this draft because there's no way they let that happen again.

In 2019 Edmunds looked like a solid player who was ascending, and he inexplicably regressed last year even accounting for his injury. Why is Beane responsible for that? Oliver looked he was ascending at the end of 2019, then he had to split 3-tech and 1-tech duties in 2020. That isn't Beane's fault either. With Epenesa it is way too early to say anything. Harrison Phillips looks like a bad pick to me but he was drafted at the bottom of the 3rd round. Those aren't going to be hits too often.

It's a weird time of year to post this thread. The draft is in 2 weeks and there's a lot of young talented players on defense that could possibly reach their potential this year. If it's halfway through the season and we're seeing the same problems as last year then you can make a thread like this.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This is a ridiculous assertion.  We've had a top defense until last year when some injuries and opt-outs hurt a lot more than any draft or FA misses did.

And frankly, I'm much happier that they have a top offense and a middling defense vs having a top defense and a middling offense

It's a much stronger and sustainable brand of football.  

Would you prefer that we bring another GM in to make these decisions???  Again - ridiculous

This ^^^

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?

I do notice something.

I notice the list is fairly arbitrary.

After Tre and Milano we've got a lot of pretty good guys who would be grouped pretty close together.

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

constant clownshow with you. You’re not fooling anyone anymore but I guess you just gotta keep at it huh?

He does.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1