Why can't Brandon Beane get the defense right?

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Every team had no offseason last year. It was a global pandemic, not just in Erie County.

Our per drive averages were mediocre.

McD, Frazier and Beane have equal responsibility regarding the success of our D.  It’s not just the GM.  Coaching is just as important. Some games our D has a great game plan.  Some games it’s terrible.  The D needs an upgrade at some defensive positions and it also needs better coaching at times

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, it's kind of shocking how much worse his defensive acquisitions have been compared to Sean. 

Who are our best defenders currently on the roster? 

Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Milano

Jerry

Do you notice something?  4 of those players were acquired by McD without the McBeane.  Jerry was obviously already here.

Compare it to the list of hacks that Beane has acquired. I'd type out all the bums and disappointments but it'd take too long.

All I know is if you eliminate the 2017 fellas, our defense would be the worst in the NFL.  If you eliminate Beane's JAG brigade, eh, we'd be okay.

Is it time for McD to make the picks again? Beane got the QB, let's thank him for his service and let's put the King of William and Mary back in the Kirk chair.

I'm not questioning a thing Beane does. He's earned my trust and respect. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t know, maybe its because guys leave... maybe its because Sean and Brandon haven’t been able to get the guys they really want, maybe the Bills are now a known quantity and are taken far more seriously, I mean why did the Donald lead Rams defense fail against our offense, in fact why did  defenses fail fifteen times against us last season,  it’s a hard game played by hard men, it’s hard to win in the NFL..., maybe I’m waiting for you to come out and blame and Levi Wallace, and Devon Singletary... maybe I’ll go get another beer 🍺... 😁👍

Oh and thanks for this opportunity... 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane has my utmost respect. What he did to acquire Josh Allen was ballsy and that move made this franchise into what it is today. With that said, he needs to nail this draft if we want to win a Super Bowl. His job is very safe, but this defense needs to get fixed promptly. I don’t care if every one of our picks goes to defense, just fix it.

I think we owe them the benefit of the doubt that this past year was more of a fluke, than it was the new normal.  

That being said, they better figure out how to defend KC, because we had two cracks at them, and both times the defense gave us almost no chance.  (Do not try to convince me the slow bleed of Game 1 was an ok defensive effort). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think we owe them the benefit of the doubt that this past year was more of a fluke, than it was the new normal.  

That being said, they better figure out how to defend KC, because we had two cracks at them, and both times the defense gave us almost no chance.  (Do not try to convince me the slow bleed of Game 1 was an ok defensive effort). 

Only way to beat KC is to challenge them, we back off them and hope they beat themselves. The defense actually played pretty well after a slow start last year. Still need some playmakers. 

The OP's hypothesis is that the Bills' defensive drafting has been worse under Beane than McDermott. With that in mind let's look at the picks.

McDermott only (defensive players in rounds 1 - 3):

1. Tre White (27th overall)

McDermott + Beane (rounds 1 - 3)

1. Ed Oliver (9th overall)

1. Tremain Edmunds (16th overall)

2. A.J. Epenesa

3. Harrison Phillips

During McDermott only the Bills used only one day 1 or 2 pick on a defensive player, but that pick resulted in the best player on the defense.

During McDermott + Beane the Bills used two first round picks on defensive players. While neither of the picks is a bust, thus far neither has lived up to his draft position. The Bills also used two third round picks on defensive players. Harrison Phillips has looked good at times, but has been affected by injuries. A.J. Epenesa has shown flashes, and time will tell whether he's worth the 2nd round pick or not.

McDermott used two picks on round 4 - 7 on defensive players, one of whom was Matt Milano. McDermott + Beane used six picks in rounds 4 - 7 on defensive players, resulting in several backup or rotational players (Taron Johnson, Darryl Johnson, Dane Jackson). Thus far no starters have emerged from that cohort.

Overall the OP has a point: the Bills did a better job of drafting defensive players when it was McDermott only, than when it was McDermott + Beane. But, there isn't enough data for us to know whether this decline was due to random chance or if it was due to a decline in the accuracy of the Bills' evaluations of defensive players.

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

The OP's hypothesis is that the Bills' defensive drafting has been worse under Beane than McDermott. With that in mind let's look at the picks.

McDermott only (defensive players in rounds 1 - 3):

1. Tre White (27th overall)

McDermott + Beane (rounds 1 - 3)

1. Ed Oliver (9th overall)

1. Tremain Edmunds (16th overall)

2. A.J. Epenesa

3. Harrison Phillips

During McDermott only the Bills used only one day 1 or 2 pick on a defensive player, but that pick resulted in the best player on the defense.

During McDermott + Beane the Bills used two first round picks on defensive players. While neither of the picks is a bust, thus far neither has lived up to his draft position. The Bills also used two third round picks on defensive players. Harrison Phillips has looked good at times, but has been affected by injuries. A.J. Epenesa has shown flashes, and time will tell whether he's worth the 2nd round pick or not.

McDermott used two picks on round 4 - 7 on defensive players, one of whom was Matt Milano. McDermott + Beane used six picks in rounds 4 - 7 on defensive players, resulting in several backup or rotational players (Taron Johnson, Darryl Johnson, Dane Jackson). Thus far no starters have emerged from that cohort.

Overall the OP has a point: the Bills did a better job of drafting defensive players when it was McDermott only, than when it was McDermott + Beane. But, there isn't enough data for us to know whether this decline was due to random chance or if it was due to a decline in the accuracy of the Bills' evaluations of defensive players.

Basically. And there is no reason to believe Oliver, Edmunds, or Epenesa can't make a huge jump in play. Still a lot of story to be written, but we need at least one of these players to be more than average. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Every team had no offseason last year. It was a global pandemic, not just in Erie County.

Our per drive averages were mediocre.

Maybe look at the PPG especially in the second half of the season... You know when it counted the most. 

Per drive averages... What a pathetic stat line to try and use. 

Edited by TBBills

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hey OP! Your parole officer is on line 2.

🤦‍♂️

I thought it was the suicide prevention hotline feeling bad for hanging up and calling him back......

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1