Jim McMahon says Green Bay was the best organization he ever played for and Slams The Bears organization calling it a place where QBs careers go to die

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Is Dilfer the only Super Bowl-winning QB who was worse than McMahon?

Brad Johnson might be in that conversation too, although he had a decent year when they won the SB.

One of my best friends is a huge Bears fan.  Consequently, I have seen way too many Bears games over the last 25 years or so.  I know the Bills have been no great shakes during that time...but man, thee Bears have just been a dreadful team to watch all in all. 

I was not really a fan of the '85 Bears either... a team full of jerks, other than Walter and Fridge. Ditka was a blowhard (a less likable Rex Ryan), Buddy Ryan was classless... McMahon was an a-hole...McMichael, Hampton....Singletary.  All insufferable egomaniacs.  I know they had that one great season, but just a hard team to like. 

I would never say it to my friend, but I am glad I wasn't born into Beardom.  I actually thought they might be on to something with Trubisky, but alas...same old Bears.  Awful play calling... my buddy loathes the Packers... he gets pissed if I am rooting for them in a game that doesn't involve the Bears...feels the same way about Favre and Rodgers as most Bills fans feel about Tom Brady.  I almost can't wait to hear his reaction to McMahon trashing the Bears, and praising the Packers! :)

All he was saying was that Bears was an organization which did not develop QBs (which I think most agree with) and it concentrated assets on defense. 

From a QB POV it was very poor to develop QBs and offenses if they brought in veterans (i.e. Cutler and Foles) or rookies ( McMahon, Trubisky).

I used to have a floor lead at work who was a big Bears fan (he was a large man who looked like an ex-football player but was military veteran) and he'd comment repeatedly about how poor Bears offenses were and that if they ever got a good offense to go along with great defenses they would have another Superbowl win.

If the best organization he said was not the Packers the Bears rival maybe it would not as much of a dagger to Bears fans.  

It is a bit odd him saying best organization with Farve and Rodgers both having issues with them at end of career but starting QB POV and backup POV will be different.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

All he was saying was that Bears was an organization which did not develop QBs (which I think most agree with) and it concentrated assets on defense. 

From a QB POV it was very poor to develop QBs and offenses if they brought in veterans (i.e. Cutler and Foles) or rookies ( McMahon, Trubisky).

I used to have a floor lead at work who was a big Bears fan (he was a large man who looked like an ex-football player but was military veteran) and he'd comment repeatedly about how poor Bears offenses were and that if they ever got a good offense to go along with great defenses they would have another Superbowl win.

If the best organization he said was not the Packers the Bears rival maybe it would not as much of a dagger to Bears fans.  

It is a bit odd him saying best organization with Farve and Rodgers both having issues with them at end of career but starting QB POV and backup POV will be different.

Agree 100%. What he said about the Bears developing QBs and how they allocate assets is dead on, IMO. But throwing Green Bay in there seems a little spiteful to me.

1 minute ago, vincec said:

Agree 100%. What he said about the Bears developing QBs and how they allocate assets is dead on, IMO. But throwing Green Bay in there seems a little spiteful to me.

Don't think it was spiteful but more on how he ended career with them and how they treated him.  He had 3 one year contracts prior to ut for which he was underappreciated especially in Minnesota.

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

One of my best friends is a huge Bears fan.  Consequently, I have seen way too many Bears games over the last 25 years or so.  I know the Bills have been no great shakes during that time...but man, thee Bears have just been a dreadful team to watch all in all. 

I was not really a fan of the '85 Bears either... a team full of jerks, other than Walter and Fridge. Ditka was a blowhard (a less likable Rex Ryan), Buddy Ryan was classless... McMahon was an a-hole...McMichael, Hampton....Singletary.  All insufferable egomaniacs.  I know they had that one great season, but just a hard team to like. 

I would never say it to my friend, but I am glad I wasn't born into Beardom.  I actually thought they might be on to something with Trubisky, but alas...same old Bears.  Awful play calling... my buddy loathes the Packers... he gets pissed if I am rooting for them in a game that doesn't involve the Bears...feels the same way about Favre and Rodgers as most Bills fans feel about Tom Brady.  I almost can't wait to hear his reaction to McMahon trashing the Bears, and praising the Packers! :)

I hear you, but I will always appreciate the Pats SB humiliation. If they only would've beaten Miami though.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Woaoa!  Very harsh words from a QB who won a Superbowl with an organization:

Can you imagine if a former Buffalo QB who took us to the playoffs much less the Superbowl, said that about the Bills?

Yikes.

Even though we didn’t go to the playoffs or a Super Bowl, I remember Drew Bledsoe bashing the Bills organization after signing with Dallas. 

38 minutes ago, Rico said:

I hear you, but I will always appreciate the Pats SB humiliation. If they only would've beaten Miami though.

I get that...though the 1985 Patriots weren't at quite the despicable level as they have become.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I get that...though the 1985 Patriots weren't at quite the despicable level as they have become.

No doubt about that, but if you were a general Boston hater like me, the 80's Celtics more than kept me annoyed at all their teams.

We will always have Bill Buckner though. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rico said:

No doubt about that, but if you were a general Boston hater like me, the 80's Celtics more than kept me annoyed at all their teams.

We will always have Bill Buckner though. :beer:

I hate Boston in general, but I love the Celtics! It is confusing...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I hate Boston in general, but I love the Celtics! It is confusing...

I wasn't sure, but I kinda remembered you were a Celtics fan. :D

No, I don't like Boston, but that was a GREAT decade for basketball, nothing better than Celtics - Lakers. Bad Boys were my team though, I lived in Ann Arbor last few years of the 80's.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Rico said:

I wasn't sure, but I kinda remembered you were a Celtics fan. :D

No, I don't like Boston, but that was a GREAT decade for basketball, nothing better than Celtics - Lakers. Bad Boys were my team though, I lived in Ann Arbor last few years of the 80's.

I loved 80's NBA hoops.  As a kid in Buffalo, I was all about the Buffalo Braves. When they left town, I was crushed.  Couldn't follow the Clippers in those days, on the east coast...so I had to find a new team.  My family got cable in 1980...the Boston super station was included, showed all the Celtics games.  They were so damn good...even though I knew it was wrong, I adopted them.  Wasnt a bad time to watch....but I absolutely loath the Red Sox, Patriots and Bruins....and I really don't care much for the city of Boston in general.  However, in 1985 the Pats were just kind of non-entity to me...I hated the Jets and especially the Dolphins far more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

I loved 80's NBA hoops.  As a kid in Buffalo, I was all about the Buffalo Braves. When they left town, I was crushed.  Couldn't follow the Clippers in those days, on the east coast...so I had to find a new team.  My family got cable in 1980...the Boston super station was included, showed all the Celtics games.  They were so damn good...even though I knew it was wrong, I adopted them.  Wasnt a bad time to watch....but I absolutely loath the Red Sox, Patriots and Bruins....and I really don't care much for the city of Boston in general.  However, in 1985 the Pats were just kind of non-entity to me...I hated the Jets and especially the Dolphins far more.

Funny, that is how I became a Yankees fan. Over the air in the 70’s, you could only get Ch 2, 4, and 7, ch 17 PBS zzzzz, the great ch. 29, the great ch. 11 from Hamilton, and Toronto stations in not-as-good quality. Then we got cable, with WOR (Mets :lol: ) WPIX (Yanks!) and later HBO (boobies!) added to the roster, it was so great!

6 hours ago, colin said:

i remember watching some sports look back thing and ditka made all the players agree not to do personal endorsement deals, and then iron mike went out and did some himself.  he really was a look at me head coach, and his ego had buddy ryan leave and break up what could have been a huge dynasty team.

think jimmy mac may have a point here.

For as great as that team was they were also as dysfunctional as they come.  Ditka and Buddy Ryan couldn't stand each other and it carried over to where the offense and defense didn't like each other, McMahon and Ditka couldn't stand each other.  It's amazing they were able to have as dominant of a season as they had in 85 with all the BS going on behind the scenes.  There's a book called Da Bears by Steve Delsohn that goes into a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that happened that season, it's a pretty entertaining read if your interested in learning more about that team

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McMahon has become a caricature of himself.  Charles Martin was playing for Green Bay when he cheap shotted McMahon, causing McMahon multiple injuries.  Yet Green Bay is a better organization than Chicago.  OoooooooooooooooK. 

Did the organization advocate cheap shots like P*TS, Saints and JEST.  No.  So it is not a reflection of organization,

11 hours ago, skibum said:

He has a point. Jay freaking Cutler is the best Bears QB going all the way back to Sid Luckman. 

The truth hurts.  The Bills sucked at developing QBs, too, until Josh Allen (Kelly spent his first two years as a pro with the Houston Gamblers), but they don't have a patch on the Bears.  No team does.   Sid Luckman was born 2 years before my father, a WW II veteran, and last played in the NFL the year I was born, 1950.