SI: The Unrivaled Arrival of Trevor Lawrence

15 hours ago, BFLO said:

You're one of the youngest boomers. You probably have more in common with the older cohort of Gen X than you do with your fellow boomers. 1946-1964 Boomers, 65-80 Gen X. Millenials 81-96. GenZ 96-2012.

These dates aren't exact, just broadly accepted. 

Eli Manning drafted in 2004 was the first time a Millennial was Picked #1 in the draft. 

Edit: Ricky Williams is GenX

Ya I am 2 years from a Gen Xer.....interesting timeline - I honestly never knew the breakdown and the names....I knew Boomers and Millenials....I was vaguely aware of Gen X and Z.

Thanks for that - ya learn something new everyday!!!

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.  Not religious.

I am not sure of your point. Clemson is utterly filled to the rim with players who loudly identify as Christian. Sweeney wants those players. I don’t Chip Kelly cares, and the atmosphere at a place like UCLA or Cal is worlds away from the SEC.

The article made me more optimistic about Trevor Lawrence. He has wisdom far beyond his years: wisdom most people never attain.

He does not care about things he cannot control. He genuinely seems not to care about others' opinions or his own popularity, and that's huge. He also has made no emotional investment into whether he's going to New York or Jacksonville (another thing he can't control), and I have a ton of respect for that as well.

He seems to be moderately emotionally invested in whether his team wins or loses.

He has made a strong commitment to being the best at his position he can be. Invested in playing at the highest level of anyone. That's the one thing he can control, and that's where his commitment is, his passion is.

I anticipate him having an outstanding career.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh, hyper-religious dudes are often phonies (see "Liberty University") lunatics (Jim Jones, Koresh, etc) or pervs (pick any).  If Hopkins (or Trevor Lawrence) said he wanted to paint a giant pentagram on the wall of the Clemson weight room, Dabo would ask: "what shade of red should I pick up at Tractor Supply Company?"

Anyway, it's a state school.  Safe for the atheists (to answer the original question).

What constitutes “hyper-religious”?   Sean McDermott is pretty open about his faith, and it’s woven into his coaching philosophy.  

I spend a good deal of time in Greenville - basically the city connected to the University.  I know quite a few people close to the program.  Nobody has ever given me any reason to believe Dabo isn’t legit. 

Brady has set too high a bar for being psychotic about winning and carrying an oversized chip on your shoulder for decades.

Is he really that laid back?  Do you always have to wear the competition gene on your sleeve? 

How many national championships has he won again?  

He'll be fine.

28 minutes ago, Success said:

Brady has set too high a bar for being psychotic about winning and carrying an oversized chip on your shoulder for decades.

Is he really that laid back?  Do you always have to wear the competition gene on your sleeve? 

How many national championships has he won again?  

He'll be fine.

So . . . you're saying he'll be a success? 😶

• Thank you (+1) 1

Take the world's greatest swordsman. There are two possible sources of motivation:

1. Maybe what makes him tick is the desire to always win against the word's second-greatest swordsman.

2. Maybe he's motivated by a lifelong pursuit of mastery of swordsmanship.

For me personally, I'm mostly a category 1 guy. When I ran cross country, I needed the competition of other runners to be motivated. A category 2 guy is going to be motivated regardless of whether he has competition or not.

As you near the finish line in a cross country race, there will sometimes be another runner near you. Under that circumstance, whichever runner comes in ahead of the other will often be determined by strength of will. Being highly competitive gave me an edge in that situation.

Trevor Lawrence is obviously a category 2 guy. That's going to give him advantages and disadvantages versus a guy in category 1.

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I am not sure of your point. Clemson is utterly filled to the rim with players who loudly identify as Christian. Sweeney wants those players. I don’t Chip Kelly cares, and the atmosphere at a place like UCLA or Cal is worlds away from the SEC.

I think most already understood Westwood and Berkley were different than South Carolina.

Point is,  5 star non-loud Christians and non-Christians recruits can safely exist at Clemson, despite the zealotry of the HC.  Sammy ("reincarnated", "Jesus could be Lucifer") did fine there.  Shaq Lawson was a local boy who wanted to stay near family.  Hunter Renfrew's mom and brother one there.  Deshaun Watson converted to Southern Baptist in Houston (safe to say he was not very devout).

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

What constitutes “hyper-religious”?   Sean McDermott is pretty open about his faith, and it’s woven into his coaching philosophy.  

I spend a good deal of time in Greenville - basically the city connected to the University.  I know quite a few people close to the program.  Nobody has ever given me any reason to believe Dabo isn’t legit. 

You can ask the other poster, but I would guess baptizing one of your players counts.

But no one can  doubt he's legit as a college football coach and program runner.