SI: The Unrivaled Arrival of Trevor Lawrence

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

As far as meshing with Urban Meyer... Trevor, a strong Christian himself, came from a heavy evangelical influence at Clemson with Dabo, and Urban is the same way.   

Urban is RC.  And he didn't exactly demand "strong Christian values" at Florida and OSU...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Urban is RC.  And he didn't exactly demand "strong Christian values" at Florida and OSU...

Im just stating who he espouses to be, you can absolutely make judgments about how he ran his programs.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Im just stating who he espouses to be, you can absolutely make judgments about how he ran his programs.  

Well I espouse to be the true King of Ireland, but no one else finds that believable either.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

What college football program would be best for an atheist? Serious question as I hear a lot about programs with religious backgrounds and I see so little about what programs are most secular.

Honestly, I’d say places like UCLA, Berkeley, and maybe Stanford.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If you bet Lawrence vs all other QBs drafted this year, which is more likely to be a star?

I'd still take the field. Lawrence looks like the best prospect since neckbeard Andrew Luck. But one just never knows. The Jets at 2 might still get the best QB in the draft.

I think Lawrence is comfortably the best QB prospect in this draft (and the best I've ever graded personally), but I'd still take the field just because you never really know. Also, one of these QBs is going to play in Kyle Shanahan's offense and another will play in a similar system; that could be enough to push one of them above Lawrence as an NFL player.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Who is the last QB who lived up to this kind of hype?  Peyton Manning?  (drafted 23 years ago)

I mean, who even are the options? The only QBs that have received this kind of hype since Peyton are Luck and maybe nobody else? 

Luck didn't become one of the top 10 QBs ever, but he was one of the best in the league pretty much every year. He was probably on track for the Hall of Fame if he hadn't retired early.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, who even are the options? The only QBs that have received this kind of hype since Peyton are Luck and maybe nobody else? 

Luck didn't become one of the top 10 QBs ever, but he was one of the best in the league pretty much every year. He was probably on track for the Hall of Fame if he hadn't retired early.

And didn't keep getting battered behind a dreadful OLine

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yup.. Suck for Luck, Tank for Trevor... Seem to be the only two insanely hyped prospects I can remember.  

It's interesting to look at the top QB's and see that none of them were even taken Top 5...

Patrick Mahomes

Josh Allen

Aaron Rodgers

Deshaun Watson

Justin Herbert

Joe Burrow did seem on pace to have a Herbert-like rookie year, before getting hurt, but he wasn't on anyone's radar until halfway through the season at LSU.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Joe Burrow did seem on pace to have a Herbert-like rookie year, before getting hurt, but he wasn't on anyone's radar until halfway through the season at LSU.

In his first year at LSU, he was twice named SEC player of the week, led them to 10-3 and won a bowl game.  

In 2019, he was destroying the SEC (on national TV) from week 1.  He threw 17 TDs and over 1500 yards in September. Another 18 in October.

Burrow was on everyone's radar well before halfway through that season.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In his first year at LSU, he was twice named SEC player of the week, led them to 10-3 and won a bowl game.  

In 2019, he was destroying the SEC (on national TV) from week 1.  He threw 17 TDs and over 1500 yards in September. Another 18 in October.

Burrow was on everyone's radar well before halfway through that season.

Burrow was a mid-late round pick after that year.  Not until lighting it up in the Natty season, did he start to garner 1st Round/1st Pick hype.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Burrow was a mid-late round pick after that year.  Not until lighting it up in the Natty season, did he start to garner 1st Round/1st Pick hype.

You said half way through that season so I thought you were referring to his record breaking 2019 season.  

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

I would like to see the Bills open up against Jacksonville so Trevor can see first hand what a franchise QB looks like in his NFL debut. 

I'd be willing to bet we'll open at Kansas City, maybe Monday night, or even the Thursday opener?

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As a 58 yo I guess I am a Boomer.....after me came Millenials?  Gen Z?  What time span we talking here - Boomers were what 30 some odd years?

Bottom line the kid realizes there is more to life than football.  Right or wrong that doesn't detract his talent.  But it does detract his fire.  Will the competitive juices burn in the parity of the NFL?  No more cupcake games, well unless you play the Jests but seriously the fun and games are over now.  You are playing for a paycheck and the expectations/pressures are higher.  How will TL respond to the that kind of adversity and the fact that his team sucks and they will lose more than they will win.  And after the game he isn't surrounded by throngs of well wishers and hangers on.  Nope now he gets eviscerated for that pick he threw or that sack he took.

Motivation .....it ain't taught ....it is in you or not.

My vote....a so so QB who is gone sooner rather than later.

• Thank you (+1) 1

When I first read quotes like this, it raised some doubts for sure:

His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’ ” Trevor’s coach at Cartersville High, Joey King, says, “There is no doubt about it: With who he is as a person, he could walk away from it tomorrow and be fine.” Others who know Lawrence well agree. 

But reading the entire article, it sounds like he is still very passionate about playing football. Sounds like it’s his 1st love.

This is what the quarterback wants: to play football. Not for the championships, though of course those feel good. Not for the money, though he will enjoy that, too. He just wants to play. It is what he always wanted. He has had a football player’s mentality before he even really knew what football was. He was a wild toddler—“insane,” his father says. His mother, Amanda, says, “Yeah, he was jumping off the walls. . . . I mean, he had stitches in his face like three times before he was three years old. I’m like, Omigosh, they are gonna think we’re abusing him or something?” Trevor wanted to join a team at five but Cartersville made kids wait until they were six. When he finally played, he was so eager to knock people around that his father figured he would become a linebacker. 

combine that love for the game with his insane talents and I think he’ll be fine.

I personally love for my QB to have a “HATE to lose” competitive drive to be the best, like Allen. But that can also be a detriment at times (like we’ve seen when Allen gets too flustered), and it’s caused plenty of QBs to get eaten up by the NFL, constantly being under the microscope.

So who knows, maybe it will serve Lawrence well. Or he could end up walking away one day like Luck did. Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I found this article about Trevor Lawrence’s approach to football interesting on different levels. He’s extremely laid back about the game - not sure who to compare him to. seems like he will not mesh with Urban Meyer tbqh. Total opposites. When you read this, do you think he will be the next big thing and live up to the hype? Or no? 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/14/trevor-lawrence-magazine-cover-story-daily-cover

This could end up being a terrible take, but I see bust written all over Lawrence. His passion for the game is questionable; plus, I don't think his game is as good as his reputation would suggest. When I saw him interviewed and he indicated that he doesn't really follow the NFL, that was a huge red flag for me. It seems like he's a guy who does football because he's good at it, not because it burns inside him.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This could end up being a terrible take, but I see bust written all over Lawrence. His passion for the game is questionable; plus, I don't think his game is as good as his reputation would suggest. When I saw him interviewed and he indicated that he doesn't really follow the NFL, that was a huge red flag for me. It seems like he's a guy who does football because he's good at it, not because it burns inside him.

Football burned inside of Luck.  Then he walked away.

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

When I first read quotes like this, it raised some doubts for sure:

But reading the entire article, it sounds like he is still very passionate about playing football. Sounds like it’s his 1st love.

combine that love for the game with his insane talents and I think he’ll be fine.

I personally love for my QB to have a “HATE to lose” competitive drive to be the best, like Allen. But that can also be a detriment at times (like we’ve seen when Allen gets too flustered), and it’s caused plenty of QBs to get eaten up by the NFL, constantly being under the microscope.

So who knows, maybe it will serve Lawrence well. Or he could end up walking away one day like Luck did. Time will tell.

I definitely see the point about too much passion for winning can cause the “sugar rush” josh Allen situations. He’s wired that way though and coaching can reign him in - to a degree. With Lawrence, he may love the game of football. That’s great in HS and college when you are simply better than everyone else around you. It’s fun. Lots of winning. Little adversity. But in the nfl, it is not always fun. It’s a business. Winning and championships may not be everything to him but it is everything to the owner, the GM, the coaches, and probably some of the teammates. Not to mention the fans. He’s lucky he’s in Jacksonville. 

10 hours ago, Nelius said:

Haha 39 here and still a millennial. Got kids, a mortgage, and I often shake my head in disapproval while looking out the window at random things at 6:30 am. These are definitely not millennials, whatever the intended point was.

I think Lawrence will be one of the few that lives up to the hype. He may not be the best ever, but he'll be darn good and everybody saw it coming for years. I don't think he'll be in the Mahomes/Allen conversation any time soon. Andrew Luck is a solid comparison, as is Bryce Harper I think - an incredibly talented athletic super freak that's excelled since a teenage, but who's always a Mike Trout and Manny Machado away at least from being the best.

Brilliant! You know you've arrived when you're more irritated by the world outside of your own 4 walls than interested in joining it...😆