SI: The Unrivaled Arrival of Trevor Lawrence

56 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I think Lawrence will be one of the few that lives up to the hype. He may not be the best ever, but he'll be darn good and everybody saw it coming for years. I don't think he'll be in the Mahomes/Allen conversation any time soon. Andrew Luck is a solid comparison, as is Bryce Harper I think - an incredibly talented athletic super freak that's excelled since a teenage, but who's always a Mike Trout and Manny Machado away at least from being the best

Love the Bryce harper comparison, I think that is spot on. 

6 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

image.png.412fce3e9e3079af265bacb50eb4ceb1.png

Sunshine!

I gots to know....

30 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I would like to see the Bills open up against Jacksonville so Trevor can see first hand what a franchise QB looks like in his NFL debut. 

It’s too bad we still don’t have Bruce Smith to welcome him to the NFL like he did that to the Bears rookie.  God, I can’t remember his name, but he could throw for a country mile, but washed out after awhile as a backup.  I’m sure someone will remember.

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But here’s the thing I’ve learned in my middle age, and it pretty much applies to every profession: the good ones love to win; the great ones HATE to lose.

I have to say that I agree with this. In every field it can possibly apply, there is a competitive desire that burns differently in the leaders of the pack. Josh is a "Hate to lose" type of guy, therefor he works relentlessly to get better. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I gots to know....

It’s too bad we still don’t have Bruce Smith to welcome him to the NFL like he did that to the Bears rookie.  God, I can’t remember his name, but he could throw for a country mile, but washed out after awhile as a backup.  I’m sure someone will remember.

Another memorable  “welcome to the nfl” moment was Kyle Williams/Johnny Football

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Bro, I'm 36 and I'm a millennial, these are not millennials.

No dude, the NFL is slow to age. I mean if you ignore the fact that a new batch of 200+ 20 year olds enter the league every year, it is slow to age. It’s just taken a long time for the league to get “infected” with millennial koodies. Even though we’ve seen 100’s of millennials have long full careers and retire by now. But no, the NFL is only so strong, they’re infected with millennials now. But not actual millennials. The millennials infected Gen Z. And Gen Z is infecting the league. But still, millennials, because transitive property. 

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

No dude, the NFL is slow to age. I mean if you ignore the fact that a new batch of 200+ 20 year olds enter the league every year, it is slow to age. It’s just taken a long time for the league to get “infected” with millennial koodies. Even though we’ve seen 100’s of millennials have long full careers and retire by now. But no, the NFL is only so strong, they’re infected with millennials now. But not actual millennials. The millennials infected Gen Z. And Gen Z is infecting the league. But still, millennials, because transitive property. 

But it is.  Whatever you want to call it - and laziness isn’t the word I’d use - younger generations have a different view of what it means to have a career.  Not saying it’s “worse” it’s just different.  Whether it’s the millennials or the post-millennials, its the kids who grew up under the Baby Boomer-dominated society.  Work has been relegated to more of a component of life, compartmentalized, portable, easy to change.  The new entrants to the work force by and large don’t expect to stay at the same job for several decades until they get their pension.  And that mentality has slowly crept into the NFL and we’re now seeing more and more of it.

Look at it this way - you’ve got the supposed next Great One musing before being picked first in the draft that football isn’t his life and he doesn’t think he’ll be defined by it.  When else has that happened?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But it is.  Whatever you want to call it - and laziness isn’t the word I’d use - younger generations have a different view of what it means to have a career.  Not saying it’s “worse” it’s just different.  Whether it’s the millennials or the post-millennials, its the kids who grew up under the Baby Boomer-dominated society.  Work has been relegated to more of a component of life, compartmentalized, portable, easy to change.  The new entrants to the work force by and large don’t expect to stay at the same job for several decades until they get their pension.  And that mentality has slowly crept into the NFL and we’re now seeing more and more of it.

Two Things: 

Apprently Gen X has now entered the conversation...You are now speaking to 3 generations. 

Pensions, by and large, don’t exist anymore. So why would a middle aged worker stay at a position if somebody else offers a better one? With no pension, salary/bonus structure become paramount for retirement. 

I will bow out of this, now. Don’t want to hijack the thread. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Two Things: 

Apprently Gen X has now entered the conversation...You are now speaking to 3 generations. 

Pensions, by and large, don’t exist anymore. So why would a middle aged worker stay at a position if somebody else offers a better one? With no pension, salary/bonus structure become paramount for retirement. 

I have a pension! Been building for 20+ years. I’m proud of that but do realize that it is rare for companies to provide one. That said, it doesn’t make me feel tied to my company, necessarily, if there was a position that paid significantly enough to leave because I’m vested and can simply roll over the $ to an annuity or whatever if I leave. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Bro, I'm 36 and I'm a millennial, these are not millennials.

no offense man, but you look terrible for your age.  pretty strong body of work for such a young guy tho.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

Two Things: 

You are taking my comments as critical of Lawrence which they aren’t.  Not sure who you’re arguing with.  If the word “Millennial” triggered you, let’s remove it - my point is that the mentality of the modern athlete has by and large changed.  Evolved if you’d prefer that word.  It’s not necessarily bad it’s just different.  But in what previous era did the presumptive top overall pick, who was supposed to be the savior of a franchise, casually remark that winning isn’t everything?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You are taking my comments as critical of Lawrence which they aren’t.  Not sure who you’re arguing with.  If the word “Millennial” triggered you, let’s remove it - my point is that the mentality of the modern athlete has by and large changed.  Evolved if you’d prefer that word.  It’s not necessarily bad it’s just different.  But in what previous era did the presumptive top overall pick, who was supposed to be the savior of a franchise, casually remark that winning isn’t everything?

I’ll be honest. Maybe it makes me. Neanderthal, but I’ll admit it. When I read that, if I was a fan of the team slated to take him, I would be disappointed. This is no knock on him as a player or a person. Just not what I personally would want to hear from my QB. I acknowledge this is a “healthy” approach for him and I don’t expect him to manufacture something that isn’t there. Maybe it’s more “it’s not him, it’s me”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll be honest. Maybe it makes me. Neanderthal, but I’ll admit it. When I read that, if I was a fan of the team slated to take him, I would be disappointed. This is no knock on him as a player or a person. Just not what I personally would want to hear from my QB. I acknowledge this is a “healthy” approach for him and I don’t expect him to manufacture something that isn’t there. Maybe it’s more “it’s not him, it’s me”

I don’t think you’re alone, but that’s partly because he’s still an outlier.  My point is that it’s going to become more and more common for young athletes to say those types of things.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

image.jpeg.c2333c00308c1ae1402d45b22cc649e4.jpeg

Classic fir the college kids on this board to rent.  Bruce would approve of this message, Vilanch that is.  Dugga, Dugga, Dugga.  Isn’t that how a bong sounds Bruce?  Been so damn long I forgot given I was in college at the end of the 80’s, early 90’s.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh boy. He’s not going to last in the NFL. Physical skill gets you in the door, but you’ve got to have a mental attitude that is superior to that physical talent, to succeed over the length of a career. His mind is clearly elsewhere, and if he’s been like this since High School, highly unlikely that Urban “earn your water” Meyer, is going to change that. 

Best QB prospect in a decade? Not sure about that anymore after this article. 

• Thank you (+1) 1