SI: The Unrivaled Arrival of Trevor Lawrence

I found this article about Trevor Lawrence’s approach to football interesting on different levels. He’s extremely laid back about the game - not sure who to compare him to. seems like he will not mesh with Urban Meyer tbqh. Total opposites. When you read this, do you think he will be the next big thing and live up to the hype? Or no? 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/14/trevor-lawrence-magazine-cover-story-daily-cover

Edited by YoloinOhio

He’s a really interesting guy.   Knows exactly who he is and has strong leadership qualities.  

By all accounts, he works hard.  He may come off as not caring but he clearly does.  

As far as meshing with Urban Meyer... Trevor, a strong Christian himself, came from a heavy evangelical influence at Clemson with Dabo, and Urban is the same way.  

Id imagine, due to that, Urban Meyer gets where Trevor Lawrence is coming from when he readily admits football isn’t the most important thing to him.  

Trevor is basically a way more talented but less competitive Tim Tebow. 

I buy into the hype. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I found this article about Trevor Lawrence’s approach to football interesting on different levels. He’s extremely laid back about the game - not sure who to compare him to. seems like he will not mesh with Urban Meyer tbqh. Total opposites. When you read this, do you think he will be the next big thing and live up to the hype? Or no? 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/14/trevor-lawrence-magazine-cover-story-daily-cover

Call me crazy, but I have a hunch 10 years from now Wilson is going to be the best QB from this class.  Not saying Trevor will bust or anything, but there’s something about Wilson that just makes me think he has some of those intangibles you can’t teach...things that make guys like Allen and Mahomes special.  

As a GM, I think there’s too much pressure to take Trevor, and it’s still a great pick.  But honestly, if I was the Jags GM I would seriously be tempted to take Wilson.  

Sucks that the Jets are gonna land Wilson.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’s a really interesting guy.   Knows exactly who he is and has strong leadership qualities.  

By all accounts, he works hard.  He may come off as not caring but he clearly does.  

As far as meshing with Urban Meyer... Trevor, a strong Christian himself, came from a heavy evangelical influence at Clemson with Dabo, and Urban is the same way.  

Id imagine, due to that, Urban Meyer gets where Trevor Lawrence is coming from when he readily admits football isn’t the most important thing to him.  

Trevor is basically a wayyyy more talented but less psychotically competitive Tim Tebow. 

I buy into the hype. 

He’s clearly taking him. Already given him the playbook. But I do not see this at all. Urban is the complete opposite of Trevor. I don’t think he does understand where he’s coming from, at least naturally. But he will adapt if he’s the best QB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s clearly taking him. Already given him the playbook. But I do not see this at all. Urban is the complete opposite of Trevor.

We may not even have had college football if not for Trevor Lawrence, tbh.  

He was lobbying to play in the ND game straight out of COVID.  

He’s durable and tough.  Plays through injuries and pain.  

He just doesn’t believe football is life.  

Here come the Millennials.  Is the NFL ready?  In a way, Ricky Williams was the first one.  Andrew Luck took the baton from him.  The modern player is a different breed than their forefathers.

But here’s the thing I’ve learned in my middle age, and it pretty much applies to every profession: the good ones love to win; the great ones HATE to lose.

More power to Trevor if he isn’t driven to compete over everything and can separate inner peace and happiness from winning.  Seems like a good dude and he’ll have a nice happy life.  But if that’s his personality, his ceiling is probably Eli Manning’s career - which is nothing to be ashamed of.  Just not the Savior he’s billed as, perhaps, and possibly an early retiree like Luck.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We may not even have had college football if not for Trevor Lawrence, tbh.  

He was lobbying to play in the ND game straight out of COVID.  

He’s durable and tough.  Plays through injuries and pain.  

He just doesn’t believe football is life.  

His coach does. I’m not saying his coach is right. I like trevor’s approach. Not often seen/admitted. I’m not criticizing him. But these two people - they are wired very differently. It will be interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Here come the Millennials.  Is the NFL ready?  In a way, Ricky Williams was the first one.  Andrew Luck took the baton from him.  The modern player is a different breed than their forefathers.

But here’s the thing I’ve learned in my middle age, and it pretty much applies to every profession: the good ones love to win; the great ones HATE to lose.

More power to Trevor if he isn’t driven to compete over everything and can separate inner peace and happiness from winning.  Seems like a good dude and he’ll have a nice happy life.  But if that’s his personality, his ceiling is probably Eli Manning’s career - which is nothing to be ashamed of.  Just not the Savior he’s billed as, perhaps, and possibly an early retiree like Luck.

Millennials are all in their late 20's and 30's. These are the post-millenials.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, MJS said:

Millennials are all in their 30's. These are the post-millenials.

Yes but the NFL is slow to change - very conservative organization.  The Millennial approach to life has not really infected the NFL as much as it has other professions.  But it’s starting to. 

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes but the NFL is slow to change - very conservative organization.  The Millennial approach to life has not really infected the NFL as much as it has other professions.  But it’s starting to. 

McDermott, Belichick etc  want old school mentality from what I’ve seen. Don’t think they would mesh with this either. McVay and Kingsbury strike me as the millennial approach.

Kirk Cousins seems to be a guy who has a similar mentality... just minus the talent Trevor Lawrence has.  

I can respect both vibes.  Love Trevors vibe, and love Josh’s vibe.   

I wouldn’t trade Josh Allen for anyone at this point, but if Mahomes is off the table, the next guy for me would be Trevor Lawrence.   

Im typically a contrarian, but reppin Wilson over Lawrence is even too far of a take for me.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Trevor is basically a way more talented but less competitive Tim Tebow. 

I buy into the hype. 

What college football program would be best for an atheist? Serious question as I hear a lot about programs with religious backgrounds and I see so little about what programs are most secular.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

What college football program would be best for an atheist? Serious question as I hear a lot about programs with religious backgrounds and I see so little about what programs are most secular.

Not sure.. Considering the top recruits are typically from the south, with devout Christian moms, probably best to not advertise you’re an Atheist program.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not sure.. Considering the top recruits are typically from the south, with devout Christian moms, probably best to not advertise you’re an Atheist program.  

I meant more so which programs are known to be secular aka not really religious, considering atheists are a small minority in this country that are often discriminated against rather easily it wouldn’t be smart to advertise being an atheist for any program.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Every generation had said the younger generation is lazier, since man started living in civilizations. Here’s the deal: each generation has a different set of ideals. Lawrence is going to play his game and why shouldn’t he? He will undoubtedly have growing pains and will need to learn how to win. My hope personal hope is Josh Allen stays better than Lawrence and becomes the best QB in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Bro, I'm 36 and I'm a millennial, these are not millennials.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

Bro, I'm 36 and I'm a millennial, these are not millennials.

Haha 39 here and still a millennial. Got kids, a mortgage, and I often shake my head in disapproval while looking out the window at random things at 6:30 am. These are definitely not millennials, whatever the intended point was.

I think Lawrence will be one of the few that lives up to the hype. He may not be the best ever, but he'll be darn good and everybody saw it coming for years. I don't think he'll be in the Mahomes/Allen conversation any time soon. Andrew Luck is a solid comparison, as is Bryce Harper I think - an incredibly talented athletic super freak that's excelled since a teenage, but who's always a Mike Trout and Manny Machado away at least from being the best.

• Like (+1) 2