The 2021 New York Yankees - panic time

Big Blitz

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Best part is the Mets payroll was only $4 mil less than Yankees this year.

Guess who's a Mets fan upthread.  Yup, the one complaining about managerial incompetence.  For only 4 million dollas more... Yankees got a hell of more bang for their bucks getting a WC spot than the Mets staggering to 77 wins.  😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hogwash... Is the bar really that high for the Yankees?

Boston does the same thing.  They live up to the hype.  Only one can win. AND, just happen to play in same Division. 

You do realize there's two wildcard spots, too, right?  You seem determined to argue with me about this.  I am officially bored and will no longer engage in your Army Corpse of Engineer games.  As you were, soldier.

Edited by Gugny
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Payroll have caught up with the Yankees. Most teams have payrolls like the Yankees now 

That's not entirely true.  Yankees are still in the top 2-3 every year.  I agree that more teams are much closer to the Yankees; but most are still not.

But only four of the top 10 payroll teams made it to the playoffs this year.  However, three of them advanced to the LCS.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb-highest-payrolls-2021/

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

That's not entirely true.  Yankees are still in the top 2-3 every year.  I agree that more teams are much closer to the Yankees; but most are still not.

But only four of the top 10 payroll teams made it to the playoffs this year.  However, three of them advanced to the LCS.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb-highest-payrolls-2021/

Okay.  Make a salary cap.  And every team is only allowed to spend what the Minnesota Twins do.

Maybe they will drop ticket prices along with a beer and hotdogs @ ye Olde Ballpark.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32429305/aaron-boone-return-manager-new-york-yankees-sources-say

Aaron Boone, who has led the New York Yankees to the postseason in each of his four seasons in the Bronx, will return as manager on a new three-year deal with a club option for 2025, it was announced Tuesday.

"We have a person and manager in Aaron Boone who possesses the baseball acumen and widespread respect in our clubhouse to continue to guide us forward," Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said in a statement. "As a team and as an organization, we must grow, evolve and improve. We need to get better. Period.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:13 PM, Big Blitz said:

I hope to God this gets bumped in September.  Great.  Good.  Hope so.  

However here is why this is a looming disaster.  

They have all the fatal flaws championship teams do not.  

Not one.  Not two.  ALL OF THEM.

They rely way too much on the long ball which is fine but....

They strikeout too much.

They are God awful against great pitching.  

They are slow.

They are injury prone.  

They have 1 reliable starter. 

They are terrible in the infield.  

They make lazy stupid plays on the bases and on defense.

Sanchez is a liability behind the plate.  

They don't have a legit left handed bat or #3 hitter.    

Did I leave anything out? 

Now I have no doubt they'll get hot throughout the summer.  They'll win 90 games maybe and get to the WC game.  Maybe win a round. 

But there is no chance this is a championship team.  Zero.  None.  Zip.

Talk me off the ledge because I'm currently hate watching them.  

Or if you hate them pile on fine by me.  

Sadly, your crystal ball was working very well  back in April. I miss Torre and Girardi too. 

On 10/3/2021 at 7:24 PM, TBBills said:

What ever happened to the OP?

I've been too pissed to comment.  I nailed almost all of it in April.  

Even during the win streak I knew it was a mirage.  

I hated watching everything about this team.

Outside of 2 weeks after the deadline.  

After Severino got hurt again......Lasagna got hurt at the end.....Britton was done and never right.  The injuries were more soul crushing then their play.   

The best thing they can do this off season is trade Stanton.  He is at peak value right now.  I'm done.  Not going to put my faith in him staying on the field that they don't let him Play.  Dump him get what you can.   

I like the arms.  I think the pitching staff and bullpen will be good.  

But we need a whole new infield.  And find someone to take Sanchez and Gallo.

So they won't do any of these things.  

Hal sucks.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.