The 2021 New York Yankees - panic time

Big Blitz

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Could be.   Hal Steinbrenner has gotten kinda' spoiled with his team making 10x the profit that George-lead teams made annually when the team was winning WS titles regularly 20-25 years ago.    Despite a decade of half-billion $ annual gross profits he used the pandemic as an excuse to double down on dodging the luxury tax and got extra tight with the wallet this offseason tryna pinch pennies at a time when they really should have been taking advantage of the market.

Their payroll is less than it was in 2004 and in 2019 their revenues had tripled since then.   Their inactivity in the free agent market the past few years (aside from Cole) has taken it's toll.   If you don't actively try to get better you will eventually cycle out and have down years.    

Their farm system is very deep but the talent is all a couple years away from reaching the majors and maybe longer from having a big impact.  And even then they will still need to be adding stars because you don't get as many of those drafting in the late 20's and with new restrictions on international free agent spending.   One thing baseball has that football does not though is that you can follow the minor league progress every day.   One click takes you to all the live box scores in the system on one page........including the GSL and Dominican Summer League's when they are active.   It's almost like being able to follow college football while knowing what players will end up with the Bills.   Keeps it entertaining even when the big team is meh-diocre like this season.

I think they have good and deep farm talent at the lower levels, but I'm not super-stoked about the near-MLB ready talent. I don't see a Cano or Severino on the horizon. 

MLB.com has them at 18th: https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-farm-system-rankings

Here's their specific take: https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-top-30-prospects-list-2021-preseason?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

On 6/13/2021 at 2:54 PM, Nextmanup said:

Watching the Yankees flounder is one of life's great joys.

I do genuinely love these takes. It’s fun rooting for the team the rest of the country hates. I hope the Bills get close to that again like during the Super Bowl run.

Edited by NobesBLO13

On 6/26/2021 at 7:00 PM, NobesBLO13 said:

I do genuinely love these takes. It’s fun rooting for the team the rest of the country hates. I hope the Bills get close to that again like during the Super Bowl run.

I don't remember the country hating the Bills.  Maybe if their "run," actually included winning a championship, that would have been different.

Boone needs to go.  Cashman needs to go.  

Blow it all up.

This was sent out during the rain delay before Chapman completely imploded.  

A game where Judge and Gio didn't play because reasons.  

What a disaster.  

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

George is turning over in his grave with how this season has turned out.

George has been turning over in his grave since the day he died.  His sons have destroyed this team.  Even as a Mets fan, I loved the Yankees for decades.  Ever since George lost the ability to make decisions and subsequently passed, the Yankees organization has lost every ounce of respect I've ever had for it.

People like to throw the 26 number out there, but it's been a looooong time since the last one.

If George were still alive and "with it," I am confident that would not have been the case.

He was a great owner and the Yankees were always a respectable team during his tenure.

Not so much, since.

• 4 weeks later...

Yanks drop 3 of 4 against Boston and now trail the Sox by 9 after Domingo "Wife Beater" German loses his no-no bid in the 8th.

Another managerial gem by Boone, pulling him after giving up his first hit of the game.

LMFAO!

#LFGM!

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yanks drop 3 of 4 against Boston and now trail the Sox by 9 after Domingo "Wife Beater" German loses his no-no bid in the 8th.

Another managerial gem by Boone, pulling him after giving up his first hit of the game.

LMFAO!

#LFGM!

Yanks 51-47 and the Mets 52-44. The only reason the Mets are in 1st is because the NL East sucks. It reminds me of the NFC East last season.

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Yanks 51-47 and the Mets 52-44. The only reason the Mets are in 1st is because the NL East sucks. It reminds me of the NFC East last season.

You won't get any argument from me on that point.  However, they don't hand out trophies for being one of the worst teams in a tough division.

Boone sucks.  Overly-analytic puppet.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You won't get any argument from me on that point.  However, they don't hand out trophies for being one of the worst teams in a tough division.

Boone sucks.  Overly-analytic puppet.

I agree 100% on Boone. I would be shocked if he isn't fired at the end of the year. Cashman also needs to take blame here as well but I don't think he will be fired. If George were still here both would have been canned already.

Just now, Greg S said:

I agree 100% on Boone. I would be shocked if he isn't fired at the end of the year. Cashman also needs to take blame here as well but I don't think he will be fired. If George were still here both would have been canned already.

I agree 100% re: George.

Letting Girardi go was asinine.  Replacing him with someone with zero coaching/managing experience at any level was asinine x 1000.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:46 PM, dave mcbride said:

I think they have good and deep farm talent at the lower levels, but I'm not super-stoked about the near-MLB ready talent. I don't see a Cano or Severino on the horizon. 

MLB.com has them at 18th: https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-farm-system-rankings

Here's their specific take: https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-top-30-prospects-list-2021-preseason?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

So Fangraphs had Yankees minor league system ranked #4 in most recent list.

Their minor leaguers have been on fire this season............so they actually had a lot of prospects to deal for Joey Gallo.

If the package is Josh Smith, Ezqeuiel Duran, Trevor Hauver, Glenn Otto, Everson Pereira and Randy Vasquez...........no elite prospects but that's a lot of nice prospects.   

None of them ever project as a player the Yankees would be thrilled to have as a starter........Pereira I'll miss the most..........but in a universe where the Yankees aren't pinching pennies they would be able to buy a $20M star player at the deadline for 2 of those guys. 

A bit of a steep price to pay for a .211 career hitter even if he hits a lot of HR's,  draws walks and plays good D..........but his cheap contract really drove up the prospect price.    SD tryna' stay under the luxury tax after all the sloppy spending they've done.:doh: 

If this deal goes thru........gotta' ship out one of the other whiffers/rally killers though.    Luke Voit is the most move-able one not named Judge.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So Fangraphs had Yankees minor league system ranked #4 in most recent list.

Their minor leaguers have been on fire this season............so they actually had a lot of prospects to deal for Joey Gallo.

If the package is Josh Smith, Ezqeuiel Duran, Trevor Hauver, Glenn Otto, Everson Pereira and Randy Vasquez...........no elite prospects but that's a lot of nice prospects.   

None of them ever project as a player the Yankees would be thrilled to have as a starter........Pereira I'll miss the most..........but in a universe where the Yankees aren't pinching pennies they would be able to buy a $20M star player at the deadline for 2 of those guys. 

A bit of a steep price to pay for a .211 career hitter even if he hits a lot of HR's,  draws walks and plays good D..........but his cheap contract really drove up the prospect price.    SD tryna' stay under the luxury tax after all the sloppy spending they've done.:doh: 

If this deal goes thru........gotta' ship out one of the other whiffers/rally killers though.    Luke Voit is the most move-able one not named Judge.

Gallo is one of those super boring players to watch on offense — the epitome of a 3-true-outcomes player. But the Yankees need a lefty who can hit home runs, so I get it. 

But … if you click through to the players the Yankees are giving up, every last one of them is performing well this season: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/yankees-to-acquire-joey-gallo.html. Pereira and Vasquez look like they’re staying.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Gallo is one of those super boring players to watch on offense — the epitome of a 3-true-outcomes player. But the Yankees need a lefty who can hit home runs, so I get it. 

But … if you click through to the players the Yankees are giving up, every last one of them is performing well this season: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/yankees-to-acquire-joey-gallo.html. Pereira and Vasquez look like they’re staying.

Yeah the deal got much better for me without Pereira (and Vasquez) in it.    Pereira has been great so far this season,  IMO he would have been prospect #1 in that deal.   Would have not liked to see those two players dealt essentially for a sidearm lefty in an era of 3 batter minimum.

And now it's reported that the Rangers are paying most of the money on Gallo and Gonzalez.   I hate that they added another whiffer but they needed a power lefty to address the non-stop parade of slider throwing RH pitching that has been killing them for the past two seasons.   Somebody has to go though.    The lineup doesn't flow with that many rally killers.   Gallo is particularly atrocious at driving in runners from 3rd with less than 2 out..........they can't afford to get WORSE at that.:doh:

All the prospects they sent are having big years.........but the farm system as a whole is having a great year.     By contrast,   the system as a whole had a very down year in 2019.   Then they really didn't use the alternate site last year to develop some of their top young prospects the way other teams did.    And on top of that,  they cancelled their fall instructional league.    The farm came into the season on a cold streak but the players somehow came out hot.    I follow them every day at this address: https://www.mlb.com/yankees/prospects/stats/affiliates

Great way to check the in game progress on every team in the system daily.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the deal got much better for me without Pereira (and Vasquez) in it.    Pereira has been great so far this season,  IMO he would have been prospect #1 in that deal.   Would have not liked to see those two players dealt essentially for a sidearm lefty in an era of 3 batter minimum.

And now it's reported that the Rangers are paying most of the money on Gallo and Gonzalez.   I hate that they added another whiffer but they needed a power lefty to address the non-stop parade of slider throwing RH pitching that has been killing them for the past two seasons.   Somebody has to go though.    The lineup doesn't flow with that many rally killers.   Gallo is particularly atrocious at driving in runners from 3rd with less than 2 out..........they can't afford to get WORSE at that.:doh:

All the prospects they sent are having big years.........but the farm system as a whole is having a great year.     By contrast,   the system as a whole had a very down year in 2019.   Then they really didn't use the alternate site last year to develop some of their top young prospects the way other teams did.    And on top of that,  they cancelled their fall instructional league.    The farm came into the season on a cold streak but the players somehow came out hot.    I follow them every day at this address: https://www.mlb.com/yankees/prospects/stats/affiliates

Great way to check the in game progress on every team in the system daily.    

I don't think there is a player I find more painful to watch in baseball than Giancarlo Stanton. On the surface, his numbers are OK (but terrible for a guy making $30 million a year), but watching him repeatedly wave feebly at sliders WAY off the plate is almost like an anti-sporting event. When Judge strikes out, it's usually a competitive at bat. When Stanton strikes out, not so much. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.