The 2021 New York Yankees - panic time

Big Blitz

On 4/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Now throwing rubber johnsons on the field..........that's harder to explain.    

Hard to explain?  The explanation was written right on the thing.  Tom lost it and some nice fan returned it.  Geez.

27 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

Because in the last 28 years the Yanks and their fans have not experienced being out of the gate this slow. 

Well most Yankee fans should be smarter and know the season doesn't even really start till after the all star break.

162 games and panic after 15 is stupid.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, TBBills said:

Well most Yankee fans should be smarter and know the season doesn't even really start till after the all star break.

162 games and panic after 15 is stupid.

That is funny because us Mets fans that is when the season is usually over and all hope is loss and we turn our attention to the upcoming football season.  

• Haha (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

Matt Blake is going to be a manager somewhere in 2022.

Pitching wins championships.  Always.  

The starting pitching has saved this season.  I still don't think we are a very good hitting team, but you can tell they have made a lot of adjustments - to being more patient and putting the ball in play with a concerted 2 strike approach you weren't seeing from this group in a long time.  Ball ain't traveling like it was you got to make good contact and put pressure on the defense.  

Boone definitely deserves some credit for Torres completely turning his season around after the ground ball he loafed on and didn't run out.  He handled it and didn't lose the player.  He's been on fire since.  So has Judge.  

Sanchez looks better at the plate and behind it.  Higgy pushing him for playing time....sometimes that helps.  Love Higgy back there.  

I'm not ready to feel secure with the rotation....but plenty to be optimistic about.  And Severino coming back in July/August my goodness what could be.  Cole - Kluber - Sevy - German in the playoffs I'll take that.  Taillion and Monty your 5 and 6 guys you can feel decent about no question.  

Since the 5-10 horrendous start they are 23-9.  As said the starters have been awesome.  Judge and Torres are producing.  And the defense has improved.  

Credit to Boone this looked really bad with some individual players looking lost and terrible.  He's righted the ship.  

Unsung hero:  Matt Blake 

Just stay healthy!  

• Like (+1) 1

162 games is a marathon, not 100 meter race. 
The Yanks are 1/2 game out, and .596 winning %

The Yanks pitching will get healthier, and we will add some big additions, we always do

rumors of our demise this season is pure folly

hate on haters

I love the Yanks, and watching all baseball

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

162 games is a marathon, not 100 meter race. 
The Yanks are 1/2 game out, and .596 winning %

The Yanks pitching will get healthier, and we will add some big additions, we always do

rumors of our demise this season is pure folly

hate on haters

I love the Yanks, and watching all baseball

I think it was Yogi Berra who said "every team will win 50 and every team will lose 50, its what you do in the other 62 that determine what kind of season you have." Of course there examples where that isn't always the case like 62 Mets who won something like only 40.

Kind of off topic but this was the first walk off home run I ever remember watching.   Even as a Met fan it was exciting to watch live (well as a little kid).  Was 30 years ago already this weekend.  Supposedly the birth place of the Yankees Win call?

Still an exciting memory.  Kind of shame Mel turned into such a scumbag 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/31/2021 at 10:51 AM, Another Fan said:

Still an exciting memory.  Kind of shame Mel turned into such a scumbag 

This is off-topic but related to the above post for those interested. Scumbag Mel Hall: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2014/7/15/5883593/the-many-crimes-of-mel-hall

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Watching the Yankees flounder is one of life's great joys.

They've had 27 straight winning seasons and won 5 titles in that span.........between rooting FOR the drought riddled Bills and against the Yanks you haven't been getting much joy for a generation or so.😂

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They've had 27 straight winning seasons and won 5 titles in that span.........between rooting FOR the drought riddled Bills and against the Yanks you haven't been getting much joy for a generation or so.😂

As a Mets/Bills/Islanders fan I haven't gotten nearly enough joy over the years. That invariably devolves into enjoying watching successful teams (and rivals) like the Yankees and Patriots fail.  Nothing wrong with that to me. I just hope that when one (or all) of my teams become dominant I don't end up being an arrogant prick about it - because that's what I see from the other side all too often.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This may well be the year the streak of winning seasons ends. At best, I see them going 85-77.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This may well be the year the streak of winning seasons ends. At best, I see them going 85-77.

Could be.   Hal Steinbrenner has gotten kinda' spoiled with his team making 10x the profit that George-lead teams made annually when the team was winning WS titles regularly 20-25 years ago.    Despite a decade of half-billion $ annual gross profits he used the pandemic as an excuse to double down on dodging the luxury tax and got extra tight with the wallet this offseason tryna pinch pennies at a time when they really should have been taking advantage of the market.

Their payroll is less than it was in 2004 and in 2019 their revenues had tripled since then.   Their inactivity in the free agent market the past few years (aside from Cole) has taken it's toll.   If you don't actively try to get better you will eventually cycle out and have down years.    

Their farm system is very deep but the talent is all a couple years away from reaching the majors and maybe longer from having a big impact.  And even then they will still need to be adding stars because you don't get as many of those drafting in the late 20's and with new restrictions on international free agent spending.   One thing baseball has that football does not though is that you can follow the minor league progress every day.   One click takes you to all the live box scores in the system on one page........including the GSL and Dominican Summer League's when they are active.   It's almost like being able to follow college football while knowing what players will end up with the Bills.   Keeps it entertaining even when the big team is meh-diocre like this season.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.