The 2021 New York Yankees - panic time

Big Blitz

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The only time it "went" was after the 1994 strike-shortened season.

The steroid era brought it back, primarily via the 1998 Sosa/McGwire shitfest, and it hasn't "gone," again.

I think Yankees fans think people are losing interest in baseball because Yankees fans are losing interest in baseball because after the Joe Torre era, the Yankees simply haven't been that great.

Baseball is alive and well, baby!

It is true that the only time baseball is any good is when the Mighty Yankees are on top. This is incontrovertible.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The Mets have done a horrible job hiring managers for a very long time.

I'm not talking *****.  I'm sharing my observation.  Prior to taking the Yankees Manager job, Aaron Boone had never even coached a little league team, let alone at any level within MLB.  It was a stupid hire.  It was stupid get rid of Girardi.  And it was even more stupid replacing him with Boone.

I didn't want Girardi gone.  I know many fans that were done I was not.  But I still don't think I have understood the thinking.  

I know what they've said.  But "we had a lot of young guys we needed to relate to better" is complete garbage.  

This is ALWAYS code for "you can't talk to the kids like we did 30 years ago they need an arm around their shoulder."

No doubt.  Absolutely this is necessary at points in life.

However this team has guys on it that look like they need a boot in hind parts especially Sanchez and Stanton.  

I like Boone.  I think he's been good I think the 103 win season of an injury ravaged 2019 (look up the man games lost to almost every key piece) is one of the best managing jobs of the last 10 years.

But you gotta get to a World Series before we can discuss serious job security.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The Mets have done a horrible job hiring managers for a very long time.

I'm not talking *****.  I'm sharing my observation.  Prior to taking the Yankees Manager job, Aaron Boone had never even coached a little league team, let alone at any level within MLB.  It was a stupid hire.  It was stupid get rid of Girardi.  And it was even more stupid replacing him with Boone.

As a Yankees fan I agree with your assessment of Boone.  I don’t think he’s a good manager.  I wasn’t a huge Girardi fan either though.  

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

As a Yankees fan I agree with your assessment of Boone.  I don’t think he’s a good manager.  I wasn’t a huge Girardi fan either though.  

I wasn't a huge Girardi fan at first, but I think he did a really good job.  His last year with the Yankees was phenomenal and exciting.  They were "this close" to the world series.  I was all in on the Mets getting him.

And I agree with you 100% about Judge.  I've been saying he's overrated from day one.  He can't hit and he can't stay healthy.  Nice kid.  The the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Embarrassing 

It's really a shame.  Ever since George fell victim to dementia and subsequently passed away, the Yankees team and fan base have lost nearly all the class they once had.

Even as a Mets fan, from the early 80s through the Joe Torre era, I always rooted for the Yankees unless they were playing the Mets.  I grew up in a Yankees household, so I watched them as much as I watched the Mets.  But once they signed A-Rod, I was out.  And since then, they have not been the respected organization they were under George's leadership.

Now their fans (not all, obviously) are no better than Philly fans.

Yankees aren't Philly/Dodger-level scummy.  But they're getting close.

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's really a shame.  Ever since George fell victim to dementia and subsequently passed away, the Yankees team and fan base have lost nearly all the class they once had.

Even as a Mets fan, from the early 80s through the Joe Torre era, I always rooted for the Yankees unless they were playing the Mets.  I grew up in a Yankees household, so I watched them as much as I watched the Mets.  But once they signed A-Rod, I was out.  And since then, they have not been the respected organization they were under George's leadership.

The expectations from both the fans and apparently the players appear to to have become a massive problem.   

They lose these next 2, and it's Glasnow today, we're at Defcon 2. 

Edited by Big Blitz

On 4/17/2021 at 12:03 PM, Gugny said:

I used to despise the Yankees, I mean I hated them back when they were going good.  The funny thing now is I look back at those 90's/early 2000's team now with admiration and respect.  But back in the day I used to hate them so much so even the few years the mets were tangling with the Braves for the NL East and the Braves would be playing an IL game with the Yanks, I would route for the braves even though I knew it would hurt the mets if the braves won.  Over time, I mean the Yankees are just another team now.  I mean my guess is they will win their 90 games.  I watch a lot of baseball and I bet a lot of baseball(I got the MLB package so I get most games) I am not big on Judge and I definately am not big on Stanton.  They strike out too much.  I am a big fundamental guy, I have coached my sons travel team since he was 8 years old(he is 17 now), the Yankees to me don't do any of the little things to win games.  Their situational hitting stinks and it starts with those two guys.  They have talent so they will win their games.  

Us mets fans have our own problems.  I know it is early but I wasn't about the Lindor trade when it happened, I sure don't like the 10 year contract they gave that guy(although once the trade went down they had little choice) Guys like Stanton & Judge, I don't like for the same reason I am not crazy about Alonzo.  They strike out too much and have no idea how to situational hit.  You don't need a 3 run homer all the time.

3 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I used to despise the Yankees, I mean I hated them back when they were going good.  The funny thing now is I look back at those 90's/early 2000's team now with admiration and respect.  But back in the day I used to hate them so much so even the few years the mets were tangling with the Braves for the NL East and the Braves would be playing an IL game with the Yanks, I would route for the braves even though I knew it would hurt the mets if the braves won.  Over time, I mean the Yankees are just another team now.  I mean my guess is they will win their 90 games.  I watch a lot of baseball and I bet a lot of baseball(I got the MLB package so I get most games) I am not big on Judge and I definately am not big on Stanton.  They strike out too much.  I am a big fundamental guy, I have coached my sons travel team since he was 8 years old(he is 17 now), the Yankees to me don't do any of the little things to win games.  Their situational hitting stinks and it starts with those two guys.  They have talent so they will win their games.  

Us mets fans have our own problems.  I know it is early but I wasn't about the Lindor trade when it happened, I sure don't like the 10 year contract they gave that guy(although once the trade went down they had little choice) Guys like Stanton & Judge, I don't like for the same reason I am not crazy about Alonzo.  They strike out too much and have no idea how to situational hit.  You don't need a 3 run homer all the time.

Yes, I always respected the Yankees until they signed A-Rod.  The organization really took a downward turn once George was out of the picture.  It was sad to watch unravel.  Now, they're a pathetic organization.  I know they still make a lot of money and they still do well, but the organization is no longer universally respected.

I hate mega deals.  Despise them.  But it's just part of the game now for the big market teams who can afford to pay the luxury tax.  At least Lindor is solid defensively and offensively and has durability.  As you mentioned, neither Judge nor Stanton can say those things.

Alonso has been disappointing in this young season.  They're only 13 games in, so I'm hopeful that he'll warm up.  Last night's defense between him and JD Davis was horrible.  Conforto needs to show some consistency.  I'm sure it pissed him off that they gave Lindor a billion dollars and didn't give him the extension he was looking for.  But let's face it, we've been waiting for "Conforto to be Conforto," for years.  He's Mr. Potential until he can put a solid season together.

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

Actually quite the opposite for me in terms of the late 90s/early 2000 Yankees.  I always respected them and would root for them against the Braves.  I thought they were classy guys.

But they had a lot of steroid guys on those teams: Knoblauch, Clemens, Pettitte (I don’t think he was a big user and I still respect him but still), Dave Justice, Canseco, and I’m sure missing other names.

Add in Jimmy Leyritz I believe killed someone driving drunk in 2006.

plus there’s Chad Curtis and Wettland as well

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.woodtv.com/news/barry-county/curtis-out-of-prison-after-serving-7-years-for-sex-assaults/amp/

18 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Actually quite the opposite for me in terms of the late 90s/early 2000 Yankees.  I always respected them and would root for them against the Braves.  I thought they were classy guys.

But they had a lot of steroid guys on those teams: Knoblauch, Clemens, Pettitte (I don’t think he was a big user and I still respect him but still), Dave Justice, Canseco, and I’m sure missing other names.

Add in Jimmy Leyritz I believe killed someone driving drunk in 2006.

plus there’s Chad Curtis and Wettland as well

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.woodtv.com/news/barry-county/curtis-out-of-prison-after-serving-7-years-for-sex-assaults/amp/

As time has went on I totally agree with this perspective.  Classy guys that did all the little things required to win.  That team knew how to play baseball.  But at the time I hated them.  I was young and bitter, what can I say.

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yes, I always respected the Yankees until they signed A-Rod.  The organization really took a downward turn once George was out of the picture.  It was sad to watch unravel.  Now, they're a pathetic organization.  I know they still make a lot of money and they still do well, but the organization is no longer universally respected.

I hate mega deals.  Despise them.  But it's just part of the game now for the big market teams who can afford to pay the luxury tax.  At least Lindor is solid defensively and offensively and has durability.  As you mentioned, neither Judge nor Stanton can say those things.

Alonso has been disappointing in this young season.  They're only 13 games in, so I'm hopeful that he'll warm up.  Last night's defense between him and JD Davis was horrible.  Conforto needs to show some consistency.  I'm sure it pissed him off that they gave Lindor a billion dollars and didn't give him the extension he was looking for.  But let's face it, we've been waiting for "Conforto to be Conforto," for years.  He's Mr. Potential until he can put a solid season together.

My son & I were watching the Mets game last night, what a sh*t show.  Is it me or do the Mets over the years have place no value on defense and are constantly playing people out of position?  I don't what Davis' natural position is but he is not a third baseman.  Smith is not a left fielder either.  He is a first baseman.  This team better get it figured out soon, or we will be looking at meaningless games by the 4th of July.

47 minutes ago, Gordio said:

As time has went on I totally agree with this perspective.  Classy guys that did all the little things required to win.  That team knew how to play baseball.  But at the time I hated them.  I was young and bitter, what can I say.

My son & I were watching the Mets game last night, what a sh*t show.  Is it me or do the Mets over the years have place no value on defense and are constantly playing people out of position?  I don't what Davis' natural position is but he is not a third baseman.  Smith is not a left fielder either.  He is a first baseman.  This team better get it figured out soon, or we will be looking at meaningless games by the 4th of July.

Davis' natural position is DH.

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

Playing people out of position has been a very "Metsy," thing to do ever since they tried to force Piazza to play first base.  I hate it.  I like J.D. a lot, but I agree - he is not a 3B.  Also agree re: Dom.  Making Daniel Murphy 2B kept his bat in the lineup, but his crappy defense was one reason we lost the World Series in 2015.

This goes back before Alderson's tenure, too.  Phillips, Minaya, etc. ... same crap.  For some reason the Mets' philosophy is always, "get great starting pitching and get good hitters, regardless of their primary/natural position."  I don't like it and I hope it changes as Cohen gets settled.

Edited by Gugny
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/16/2021 at 11:30 PM, Big Blitz said:

Embarrassing 

Big deal........a few fans threw baseballs at a baseball game to show disgust with a season of pathetic effort and intensity.    Stop fouling pitches off swinging for the downs when one whole half of the infield is wide open........and start squaring them up.......and they wouldn't have those baseballs in the first place.

Now throwing rubber johnsons on the field..........that's harder to explain.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

43 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Don’t mind the Yanks as a franchise, but the entitled fanbase gets old fast.

Go Royals!

28 straight winning seasons........and that not even being a franchise record..........will do that.

Pre-pandemic the team was generating $900M in revenue and more than half of that was pure profit.........utterly dwarfing the nickels and dimes most teams make.........in a league without a salary cap.........no reason for them to ever field a losing team so no reason to not feel entitled.     The Yanks greedy owner didn't want to cross the luxury tax line and share $10M-$15M with the rest of the league so he decided not to let the front office make necessary changes.

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

28 straight winning seasons........and that not even being a franchise record..........will do that.

Pre-pandemic the team was generating $900M in revenue and more than half of that was pure profit.........utterly dwarfing the nickels and dimes most teams make.........in a league without a salary cap.........no reason for them to ever field a losing team so no reason to not feel entitled.     The Yanks greedy owner didn't want to cross the luxury tax line and share $10M-$15M with the rest of the league so he decided not to let the front office make necessary changes.

Well that’s just a neato torpedo!

Fanbase is still annoying.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They have zero character or clubhouse leader.  Boone doesn’t seem to have a relationship with anyone.  

Bring in a manager who can put a spark in this team and I think this sane roster wins the series 

Had they kept Girardi, they would have been contenders for the World Series in 2019 and would definitely be better than they are this season.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.