The 2021 New York Yankees - panic time

Big Blitz

I hope to God this gets bumped in September.  Great.  Good.  Hope so.  

However here is why this is a looming disaster.  

They have all the fatal flaws championship teams do not.  

Not one.  Not two.  ALL OF THEM.

They rely way too much on the long ball which is fine but....

They strikeout too much.

They are God awful against great pitching.  

They are slow.

They are injury prone.  

They have 1 reliable starter. 

They are terrible in the infield.  

They make lazy stupid plays on the bases and on defense.

Sanchez is a liability behind the plate.  

They don't have a legit left handed bat or #3 hitter.    

Did I leave anything out? 

Now I have no doubt they'll get hot throughout the summer.  They'll win 90 games maybe and get to the WC game.  Maybe win a round. 

But there is no chance this is a championship team.  Zero.  None.  Zip.

Talk me off the ledge because I'm currently hate watching them.  

Or if you hate them pile on fine by me.  

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

They strikeout too much.

They are slow.

They are injury prone.  

Now I have no doubt they'll get hot throughout the summer.  They'll win 90 games maybe and get to the WC game.  Maybe win a round. 

The one thing you left out is that they have a manager who was never qualified to be a major league manager.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

One thing you missed is that baseball is no longer relevant to the vast majority of American sports fans, joining pro basketball. Of course, hockey was never there. So... it really doesn’t matter what they do to most people.

Best to just look back and marvel at all the many pennants the Yankees won during the glory days of baseball. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

They strikeout too much.

They are slow.

They are injury prone.  

It's a story of greed.

When they were bringing in $320M with a payroll of $240M back in 2004 the profits were great.............fast forward to 2019 and the revenue is $900M and the payroll was closer to $200M.

The profit margin got insane and it magnified the greed and lessened the need to win. 

They will likely end up over .500 for the 29th straight season but Hal Steinbrenner needs an attitude correction.

I was glad the woeful Mets actually got a competitive owner..........maybe Hal will feel some pressure to perform going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Rico said:

One thing you missed is that baseball is no longer relevant to the vast majority of American sports fans, joining pro basketball. Of course, hockey was never there. So... it really doesn’t matter what they do to most people.

Best to just look back and marvel at all the many pennants the Yankees won during the glory days of baseball. :thumbsup:

MLB and NBA are still very relevant to the majority of sports fans.........the numbers and tv $ back it up.  (Hockey is mostly irrevelevant though)

Basketball is the world's #2 sport and organized youth baseball participation has grown exponentially over the last decade so the narrative that the fanbases of those sports are dying is not correct.

But nobody in the US can match up to football.........it's king for viewership...........they just don't play enough games to marginalize baseball and hoops.    The only thing people watch "live" on TV anymore is sports and you can tune into your favorite MLB team every night for 6 months and every other night in the case of hoops.

31 minutes ago, Rico said:

Baseball seems to come and go, almost pendulum-like in its appeal and popularity.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a story of greed.

When they were bringing in $320M with a payroll of $240M back in 2004 the profits were great.............fast forward to 2019 and the revenue is $900M and the payroll was closer to $200M.

The profit margin got insane and it magnified the greed and lessened the need to win. 

They will likely end up over .500 for the 29th straight season but Hal Steinbrenner needs an attitude correction.

I was glad the woeful Mets actually got a competitive owner..........maybe Hal will feel some pressure to perform going forward.

I remember George saying "the two most important things in life are breathing and winning and not necessarily in that order". 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Baseball seems to come and go, almost pendulum-like in its appeal and popularity.

This take reminds me of the old "80% of the work is done by 20% of the people........and 80% of the people think they are the 20%" adage.

You and Rico probably aren't the fans of sport to the level you think you are.

The numbers do not support the idea that baseball and or basketball have ever not been popular over the last 30+ years.   Even after strikes they've drawn fans and done well enough in ratings to keep getting bigger and bigger rights deals.

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

They strikeout too much.

They are slow.

They are injury prone.  

Gotta' add the Dick Jauron moment that Aaron Boone provided the other day............when asked about his terrible offense thru 11 game his excuse was "it's hard to hit".😆

• Haha (+1) 1

Don’t worry.  The pitching staff will come together once German gets over the trauma of his woman beating, and Taillon remembers where home plate is.  When is Severino returning?

In a normal world Higgy would be the regular catcher and Stink-chez would be the back-up/DH/pinch hitter.  I’m beginning to think Sanchez has some incriminating photos of Cashman or something.  He sucks as a catcher.

My Yankee fan friends laugh at me what I say that Judge shouldn’t be given an extension.  I love him as an outfielder, love the home runs, but overall he is not a good hitter.  He and Stanton are clones.  

Probably a wild card team when it’s all said and done.

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

The only time it "went" was after the 1994 strike-shortened season.

The steroid era brought it back, primarily via the 1998 Sosa/McGwire shitfest, and it hasn't "gone," again.

I think Yankees fans think people are losing interest in baseball because Yankees fans are losing interest in baseball because after the Joe Torre era, the Yankees simply haven't been that great.

Baseball is alive and well, baby!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

The steroid era brought it back, primarily via the 1998 Sosa/McGwire shitfest, and it hasn't "gone," again.

I think Yankees fans think people are losing interest in baseball because Yankees fans are losing interest in baseball because after the Joe Torre era, the Yankees simply haven't been that great.

Baseball objectively sucked in the 80s. This is incontrovertible. 

I am an admitted very casual baseball fan, always have been. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

What's odd is the Yankees always seem to struggle with the Rays who have a payroll of about 10 bucks. I don't know how TB does it but they find a way to field a competitive team with a small payroll.  I am not going to panic yet with the Yankees despite the slow start. There is a lot of baseball left to play.

4 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Baseball objectively sucked in the 80s. This is incontrovertible. 

I am an admitted very casual baseball fan, always have been. 

If you think baseball sucked in the 80s, then you're even less of a fan than you think!

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

The one thing you left out is that they have a manager who was never qualified to be a major league manager.

I don't know if Mets fans are qualified to talk *****. The Mets cant even score a run for deGrom.

Edited by TBBills

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

I don't know if Mets fans are qualified to talk *****. The Mets cant even score a run for deGrom.

The Mets have done a horrible job hiring managers for a very long time.

I'm not talking *****.  I'm sharing my observation.  Prior to taking the Yankees Manager job, Aaron Boone had never even coached a little league team, let alone at any level within MLB.  It was a stupid hire.  It was stupid get rid of Girardi.  And it was even more stupid replacing him with Boone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.