Jump to content

Brownies sign Clowney


FireChans
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Has any player who was never coming to the Bills ever generated so many threads and thread pages?

 

I'm asking for a friend  before he  starts the next Clowney thread.

JJ Watt? Well guess you can say it was possible he'd be a Bills. Many thought he was anyways,

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Maybe, but they did do fairly decent against the Chiefs playoff game. Hell of a lot better than Bills defense did against Chiefs anyway. 

 

They did. But they sucked against the Steelers the week before. That is exactly my point. They were wildly inconsistent back there all season. They gave up 34 or more on SEVEN occasions out of their 18 games. That is way too many. The Bills defense took a step back last year, we can all agree that.... they only gave up 34 or more on 3 occasions in their 19 games.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

 

They did. But they sucked against the Steelers the week before. That is exactly my point. They were wildly inconsistent back there all season. They gave up 34 or more on SEVEN occasions out of their 18 games. That is way too many. The Bills defense took a step back last year, we can all agree that.... they only gave up 34 or more on 3 occasions in their 19 games.  

Yeah you're right. I guess I meant they did about as well as one could hope for when it mattered the most with Chiefs. The week before against Steelers, if I remember right Browns had that big lead right? Could have took the foot off the pedal in that particular game.

 

Either way, throughout the season I agree they were inconsistent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Agree. The Browns are a playoff team. They are a team that can win a playoff game. I don't see them as a team who can win a Championship. That isn't just on Baker either. The back 7 of their defense is way too inconsistent.

If Baker improves again they can absolutely win the AFC, IMO.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ScottLaw said:

If Baker improves again they can absolutely win the AFC, IMO.

 

Not without their back 7 getting better. Now as @BarleyNY has articulated they could take a decent jump there but they need to if they have aspirations to win the AFC. They ain't playing in a Superbowl giving up 34 points or more 7 times next season. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2021 at 11:53 AM, Seasons1992 said:

More overrated: Marcell Dareus, or Clowney? 

 

Discuss.

I think dareus could of been a Arron Donald type but was to lazy after getting that fat contract. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

People were saying similar things about the Bucs last offseason with all their collection of “individual talent”. 

Again, the Bucs did the same thing.... worked out pretty well for them. Then again, I think Brady has that effect on a locker room. 
 

Still, my point is in the end talent trumps everything. 

 

I strongly disagree that in the end talent trumps everything.

The Patriots also took gambles on bad locker room talents when they had Brady and it almost always worked out. Antonio Brown, Randy Moss, etc.

 

It worked out because they had the greatest QB of all time. Not Baker Mayfield.

 

There are endless examples of teams that FAILED despite having a ton of talent.

Remember Philly's "Dream Team" that ended up having a losing record?

I can think of several teams that "won the offseason" and had a losing record due to lack of team players and culture.

Edited by Rigotz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Has any player who was never coming to the Bills ever generated so many threads and thread pages?

 

I'm asking for a friend  before he  starts the next Clowney thread.

 

3 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

JJ Watt? Well guess you can say it was possible he'd be a Bills. Many thought he was anyways,

If TSW is 'Blazing Saddles':

✔️ Clowney is Mongo.

✔️ Watt is 🎶Randolph Scott🎵

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2021 at 1:35 PM, BarleyNY said:

You’ve not been following the Browns under Stefanski and Berry then.  Beane, McD and the Bills have deserved their accolades.  They changed the culture, turned the team around - they and did it quickly.  Those same accolades are going to be  given to the Browns org this year and next.  They made an incredible turnaround in a single year.  Year 2 looks to be moving in the same direction as last year.  

 

Big time culture turnaround:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/15/browns-players-we-stand-in-solidarity-by-exercising-right-not-to-attend-in-person-work/

  • Eyeroll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed. Would’ve liked the Bills to take this gamble... But your right. As long as Allen plays like he did last season and doesn’t regress Bills>Browns.... unless Mayfield takes another step forward then the Browns may be the better team....outside of QB they have a more talented roster, IMO. 

I don't agree about the Browns being a more talented roster by any stretch of the imagination, but I doubt I'll convince you that a lot of our good players are good, so hopefully we see how it goes during the season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:


JC Tretter is the President of the NFLPA.  Seems like his teammates have his back.  Or he is theirs.  In any event, that’s 7 teams that have publicly stated what they just did.  Expect it to be league wide- and that would include the Bills. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

I don't agree about the Browns being a more talented roster by any stretch of the imagination, but I doubt I'll convince you that a lot of our good players are good, so hopefully we see how it goes during the season. 

I think it’s pretty close... difference between the two teams is QB, which is why the Bills are better.

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

 

I strongly disagree that in the end talent trumps everything.

The Patriots also took gambles on bad locker room talents when they had Brady and it almost always worked out. Antonio Brown, Randy Moss, etc.

 

It worked out because they had the greatest QB of all time. Not Baker Mayfield.

 

There are endless examples of teams that FAILED despite having a ton of talent.

Remember Philly's "Dream Team" that ended up having a losing record?

I can think of several teams that "won the offseason" and had a losing record due to lack of team players and culture.

The Browns made the playoffs and won a playoff game and almost upset the Chiefs(I know, without Mahomes in the 2nd half).... if your point is talent means nothing if you don’t have a QB, I agree with you. I’m saying you need both talent and leadership. The Browns were winners last season. It’s not like they are a collection of talented players but the teams record doesn’t reflect it. But yes, Baker needs to continue to Improve for them to be in the conversation for best team in the AFC.

Edited by ScottLaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Not without their back 7 getting better. Now as @BarleyNY has articulated they could take a decent jump there but they need to if they have aspirations to win the AFC. They ain't playing in a Superbowl giving up 34 points or more 7 times next season. 


They did make some moves to help out the secondary and LB corps in free agency. Mainly John Johnson and Troy Hill should help that secondary, add in the possibility of adding an LB early in the draft and I think they can for sure make some noise in the AFC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:


They did make some moves to help out the secondary and LB corps in free agency. Mainly John Johnson and Troy Hill should help that secondary, add in the possibility of adding an LB early in the draft and I think they can for sure make some noise in the AFC.

 

That, and the last 2 2nd rounders were secondary players that missed all of last year.

 

Delpit was the Thorpe award winner in 19, and Greedy Williams was decent as a rookie the year before.

Edited by cle23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This man has made an entire career out of one hit in college where the Michigan slappy forgot to buckle his chin strap and his helmet popped off. He’s decent against the run but he can’t consistently stay healthy or consistently get to the QB. I’m surprised he signed before TC. He usually waits which is why he’s always injured and out of shape. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...