Brownies sign Clowney

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I honestly wouldn’t even say he’s good at this point. Dude literally did next to nothing the last two years while in Tennessee and had zero sacks last year. I think it’s fair at this point to call him a bust

he still impacts the game in the front 7 when he's healthy.  he's obv hurt way too much, but he's still a good player.

if no one ever heard of him and he was drafted in the 3rd round, he'd be considered a talented player who is hurt too much, although he'd prolly be cheaper.

people keep paying him for a reason.  when (if, really) he's available he can ball.

50 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You’ve not been following the Browns under Stefanski and Berry then.  Beane, McD and the Bills have deserved their accolades.  They changed the culture, turned the team around - they and did it quickly.  Those same accolades are going to be  given to the Browns org this year and next.  They made an incredible turnaround in a single year.  Year 2 looks to be moving in the same direction as last year.  

As for Clowney, he’s a perfect schematic fit for them.  DE for rushing downs and contain on QBs like Lamar, DT on passing downs with Takk McKinley taking his DE spot. With Myles Garrett on the line there teams will have to decide whom to double team.  On a Bills draft note the Browns now have CB2, LB and Speed X WR as their top needs.  The Bills needs overlap on the first and last and the Browns pick four spots earlier.

I think you might be missing my point. 
The Browns might be improving on paper, but they’re signing a bunch of guys who have proven character issues.

Tell me if you spot a pattern with their big signings and let me know if that might cause an issue:

- Sheldon Richardson

- Kareem Hunt

- Odell Beckham

- Jadeveon Clowney

- David Njoku 

If they’re really turning things around, why go after Clowney?

OK deal for both sides. Clowney has been on one year deals the past three seasons now. One a franchise tag and now two one year deals. Over the past three years he will have made 36-38 million depending on his incentives this year so that's not that much less than he would have made had he landed a big deal but certainly not the way he would have wanted his post Texans departure to go either. 

The Browns are in win now mode and looking to get someone opposite Garrett that can be disruptive, taking a one year chance on Clowney fits their need to help but doesn't tie them up long term either. Clowney gets a decent salary and can still hit the market next year.

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

I think you might be missing my point. 
The Browns might be improving on paper, but they’re signing a bunch of guys who have proven character issues.

Tell me if you spot a pattern with their big signings and let me know if that might cause an issue:

- Sheldon Richardson

- Kareem Hunt

- Odell Beckham

- Jadeveon Clowney

- David Njoku 

If they’re really turning things around, why go after Clowney?

I’ll start with the fact that the current FO and HC of the Browns inherited every one of those players except Clowney.  They did extend Hunt and pick up Njoku’s fifth year option, however.  But other than Njoku requesting a trade a year ago what have any of those players done since becoming a Brown that would indicate character issues?  What’s Clowney ever done in that regard?

That is a LOT of chedder for a player that hasnt had a sack (and not a lot of them) since 2019.

Hard pass....HARD pass

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

It’s a one year deal.

Teams with the most cap space at the end of the season don’t get an award.

Good on Clowney for getting all the money they can.....but this is the kind of signing where Browns fans are screaming "What did I pay for" by the end of the season.....

but hey....its not our money

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Browns are a very talented team. Top 3 roster.

People say this every year......and every year they find a way to not get it done

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Clowney had zero sacks last year.

He has 12 sacks in the last three years COMBINED.

He has played a full 16-game season just ONCE in his seven year career.

I have never seen such an overhyped player in my life. He's still making a living off of one amazing college play and a really cool name.

It's amazing to me how everyone is going so far in either direction about this player. One can argue he's living off the past, but it's way offbase to suggest that he's living off one play. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was the number one recruit in the college coming out of high school. At South Carolina, he had a season with 23.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks. I do also remember there was a prevailing attitude (or unconfirmed rumor) that no one wanted to pick him at number one, but that no one wanted to be the team that DIDN'T pick him at number one. 

My (admittedly amateur) take: he's better than people who think he's trash and worse than people who call him a gamechanger who just doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Clowney's attitude always seems to be talked about in whispers. He never seems like a bad guy, but there does seem to be a rep that he's not 100% head-in-the-game--but is it any more than rumors? The only thing we can truly go on is the fact he's jumped from team-to-team recently. He's a staunch run-stopper when people expect him to someday put up a 15-sack season (instead of the less than 5 he's averaged in a career). 

It's not a bad gamble for the Browns, unless he truly is the locker-room poison some suspect. By that token, it would probably have been a better gamble by the Bills. Maybe he lines up across from Garrett and Browns fans get the terror they're hoping for. Given his history, it's more likely he either helps a solid defense get better or doesn't fit in and is on to the next suitor in 2022. 

As a Bills fan, it doesn't worry me as Browns, for all their talent, still seem like a time bomb until they prove they aren't. Which Mayfield do you have (or was it just a bad line in 2019 and he's on his path to franchise status)? Is Stefanski a stabilizing factor or was the season a fluke? They have a lot of volatile players on there (one of their stars almost killed a man on the field), but the reason I still have to doubt stems from the on-field (well, when playing and not swinging helmets) Browns. Losing to the Jets in a key game (even with the injuries) is not a great look--they were this close to blowing it last year.  Yes, they had those injuries, but Mayfield also fell apart. Bad games happen, and it doesn't prove they are the same ol' Browns. We'll see what they do in 2021. The other reason it doesn't bother me is I love what the Bills are doing so the Browns may get better, but they are still looking up at the Bills. Maybe they beat us. But until they do, I'm content with how McD & Beane are playing their cards.

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

Just saw it's $8M with $2M in incentives.

I was wondering what the base and incentives were.  I kind of wanted him on The Bills, but for a bigger incentive based deal.  Maybe $5-6m base with incentives up to $10m.  Seems like he needs a fire lit up under his a$$ to reach his potential.  McDermott could have been a good coach to do it, but oh well.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

LOL They way overpaid him. 10 million for an underachieving season last year. 

Yeah he wasn't impressive last season, but I don't know how much less they could have gotten him for. I'd think maybe 8mil at the lowest with the 1yr. If they over paid it may not have been but so much. Think Browns were in a better position cap wise than many teams anyway.

I prefer the Bills and the way they do things.  I'm fine that the Bills passed on Clowney while the Browns gave him a sizeable deal.  The Bills had a better record than the Browns last year, were a higher seed, and advanced further in the playoffs than the Browns did.  That said, the Browns were much improved last year and played well in the playoffs.  Although aided by the Mahomes injury, they gave KC a better game than the Bills did, and had a chance to win it in the 4th quarter.  I was hoping they would, so that they could come lose to Buffalo and see the Bills off to the Super Bowl.  It didn't happen.

Base on Allen v. Mayfield alone, I expect the Bills to remain ahead of the Browns next season and in the years to come, but the Browns should not be taken lightly.  They are not the same old Browns.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Your zero rating in Madden is looking pretty solid, by the way

I wonder what a typical person's actual Madden rating would be?

Somehow the Browns can sign everyone in the world and still have vast amounts of salary cap space. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Browns are a very talented team. Top 3 roster.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

People say this every year......and every year they find a way to not get it done

Indeed. Browns and Miami are the offseason darlings every year. And then the season starts and they STINK.