Jump to content

Matt Miller's Team-by-Team Draft Rumors (what he's hearing about the Bills)


Recommended Posts

Another guy, a sleeper to watch, is Payton Turner. He is solid getting after the QB and is solid against the run as well. In 5 games this year he had 10.5 tfl and 5 sacks. Competition wasn't elite, but he gets after it. Not sure he's a 1st Round guy at all, but a 2nd Round selection would be fine by me. 6'6" and 270lbs. I think he also has that kick inside on passing downs versatility as well.  Former teammate of Ed O @ Houston.  

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one knows anything, it's all a smokescreen, Beane doesn't let his secrets out.

If you know Matt Miller, you know that he's one of the better voices in the scouting community. He's reasonably well connected, and he puts out good, sane, accurate content year after year. He pu

Etienne can’t pass block so must be Harris. No way they put him out there on 3rd down in this offense if he can’t pass block  Lots of good YAC options - Elijah Moore In the 1st  Speedy CB is a

47 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

No one knows anything, it's all a smokescreen, Beane doesn't let his secrets out.

 

Why anyone believes anything coming out 2 weeks before the draft is beyond me.  These people get "scoops" and it's just disinformation meant to throw other front offices off. 

 

Don't believe the hype.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Process said:

Never heard of Schwartz until you mentioned him here. 6'1 and runs a 4.26? Sheesh. 


Yeah. 

He doesn't seem to offer much short area quickness, but his long speed is unreal. 

Defensive coordinators already have their hands full with Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis. Add in a guy with Schwartz' speed? Yikes.

Just now, BillsVet said:

 

Why anyone believes anything coming out 2 weeks before the draft is beyond me.  These people get "scoops" and it's just disinformation meant to throw other front offices off. 

 

Don't believe the hype.


There he is!

This week's "It's all a smokescreen" guy! I knew he'd show up in this thread eventually!

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

 

  • Haha (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

After being aggressive the entire season (and to start the AFCCG going for it on 4th down on our 1st possession) McD reverted back to his old tendencies, kicking FGs while the oppostion scores TD after TD.  Coaching not to lose as opposed to coaching to win the game.  
 

the afccg showed me that we need a better CB2.  McD was coaching scared on D.  Almost as if he had zero confidence in the players in coverage.  We didn’t have a defender in position to stop one pass the entire game. That was the worst defensive performance we had all year and it looked like (to me) that McD was worried about getting beat overtop on every play.

Right so game plan and game-day coaching was a thing at all levels.   Is learning from experience alone enough to fix what went wrong there?  There's no coaches draft, no coach trades (almost).

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

After being aggressive the entire season (and to start the AFCCG going for it on 4th down on our 1st possession) McD reverted back to his old tendencies, kicking FGs while the oppostion scores TD after TD.  Coaching not to lose as opposed to coaching to win the game.  
 

the afccg showed me that we need a better CB2.  McD was coaching scared on D.  Almost as if he had zero confidence in the players in coverage.  We didn’t have a defender in position to stop one pass the entire game. That was the worst defensive performance we had all year and it looked like (to me) that McD was worried about getting beat overtop on every play.

Do you mean Frazier? He calls the defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Right so game plan and game-day coaching was a thing at all levels.   Is learning from experience alone enough to fix what went wrong there?  There's no coaches draft, no coach trades (almost).


I will say that McDermott and Daboll seem to be constantly self-scouting, constantly trying to improve at what they do. Both have improved as coaches each year that they've been here. Neither seem too proud to admit that something isn't working or to try to do things differently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Logic said:

There he is!

This week's "It's all a smokescreen" guy! I knew he'd show up in this thread eventually!

 

Logic (and I find your screen name ironic) here goes.

 

It is logical to conclude that this close to the draft those in the NFL Insider club are deliberately manipulated for purposes of subterfuge.  They get some clicks, but none of them knows anything for sure.  And Buffalo isn't about to let out a secret, at least nothing specific.  A savvy NFL front office doesn't tip their hat on a draft pick even late in the 1st round. 

 

Because I'm all good with not knowing anything but realizing Buffalo's front office is confusing others about their intentions.  Or, are you that me-first that you think you know while minimizing that some guy revealed Buffalo is leaky with their decision?  Up to you "Logic."

 

  • Eyeroll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Logic said:


Yeah. 

He doesn't seem to offer much short area quickness, but his long speed is unreal. 

Defensive coordinators already have their hands full with Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis. Add in a guy with Schwartz' speed? Yikes.


There he is!

This week's "It's all a smokescreen" guy! I knew he'd show up in this thread eventually!

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

 

People believe what fits their own narratives. If they don’t like it, it’s a smokescreen. If they do, there are probably “legit sources”. The beat goes on. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

 

Logic (and I find your screen name ironic) here goes.

 

It is logical to conclude that this close to the draft those in the NFL Insider club are deliberately manipulated for purposes of subterfuge.  They get some clicks, but none of them knows anything for sure.  And Buffalo isn't about to let out a secret, at least nothing specific.  A savvy NFL front office doesn't tip their hat on a draft pick even late in the 1st round. 

 

Because I'm all good with not knowing anything but realizing Buffalo's front office is confusing others about their intentions.  Or, are you that me-first that you think you know while minimizing that some guy revealed Buffalo is leaky with their decision?  Up to you "Logic."

 


First of all: Kudos on the super original jab at my screen name. No one has ever said that before!!!!!!

Look, everyone knows that there are smokescreens and disinformation leading up to draft season. Everyone ALSO knows that it absolutely IS possible to glean legitimate intel about which way teams are leaning. A few analysts knew with certainty and insisted for weeks that the Bills were all in on Josh Allen. It was known by everyone that they loved Ed Oliver. Yes, the Bills run a tight ship. No, it's not an impenetrable steel trap of information.

The idea that absolutely nothing of value can be taken from all of the pre-draft rumors is silly. Conversely, to assume that ALL pre-draft rumors are true is also silly. The job of us fans -- and remember, this is all just for fun, because sports are supposed to be fun -- is to look over the whole basket of rumors and decide what we think is true and what we think is false. I suppose that you could just automatically assume that EVERYTHING is false and that it's 100% impossible for anyone to know anything before the draft, but I think that's naive, and I think that history has proven it false. Also, where's the fun in that? Because, again: following sports is supposed to be FUN!

At least that's how I feel about it, "BillsVet".

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

After being aggressive the entire season (and to start the AFCCG going for it on 4th down on our 1st possession) McD reverted back to his old tendencies, kicking FGs while the oppostion scores TD after TD.  Coaching not to lose as opposed to coaching to win the game.  
 

the afccg showed me that we need a better CB2.  McD was coaching scared on D.  Almost as if he had zero confidence in the players in coverage.  We didn’t have a defender in position to stop one pass the entire game. That was the worst defensive performance we had all year and it looked like (to me) that McD was worried about getting beat overtop on every play.

Great post!

 

He sure was and that is why I'm zeroed in on a cb or 2 right now.  The pass rush up front can be neutralized with a quick passing attack, so coverage is even more important. It's our biggest need.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Right so game plan and game-day coaching was a thing at all levels.   Is learning from experience alone enough to fix what went wrong there?  There's no coaches draft, no coach trades (almost).


it has to be.  The great coaches learn from it.  The coaches that aren’t so great, don’t.  Let’s just hope that McD continues to improve.  I thought he showed a different level aggressiveness last year.  

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

Do you mean Frazier? He calls the defense.

Yeah, I’m sure it’s all Frazier

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Logic said:

If you know Matt Miller, you know that he's one of the better voices in the scouting community. He's reasonably well connected, and he puts out good, sane, accurate content year after year.

He puts out an annual "what I'm hearing" article as the draft approaches, and it often contains good insight into which way teams are leaning. He has more info about some teams than others, but he shares at least a little something about all 32 teams.

The full version of this article is behind a paywall, but a kind soul shared a guest pass with me and I was able to read it. I may just end up subscribing to thedraftscout website anyway, because there's a lot of great content there.

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/matt-millers-scouting-notebook-team

Here is what Miller says about the Bills:

Buffalo — A playmaker on either side of the ball is the rumor coming out of Buffalo. They’ll play the board and let talented athletes slip to them as always, but a speedy cornerback, yards-after-catch wide receiver or three-down running back would all get a lot of consideration here. That could easily be the first three picks for Buffalo.




...I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that pretty darn interesting. We all know they're looking for a more athletic and well-rounded cornerback, but the RAC receiver and three down running back tidbits -- and the lack of any mention of pass rushers or offensive linemen -- is eyebrow-raising.

p.s. Save me the "no one knows anything, it's all a smokescreen, Beane doesn't let his secrets out!" reply. Yes, the Bills run a tight ship. No, it's not impossible for certain well connected people to find out which ways they're leaning. Yes, it could all be a smokescreen -- but I doubt it. 

"A playmaker on either side of the ball..." 

That's some deep insight, there...

  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

"A playmaker on either side of the ball..." 

That's some deep insight, there...


As I previously pointed out in this thread: It would seem to rule out an offensive lineman and, arguably, a developmental pass rusher. It would seem instead to point to a cornerback, receiver, running back, or linebacker instead.

The term "playmaker" as it relates to the draft usually refers to adding some electricity, some speed, some home run threat, a turnover-creator, something like that. So it sort of DOES narrow things down a bit, in my opinion.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

 

Why anyone believes anything coming out 2 weeks before the draft is beyond me.  These people get "scoops" and it's just disinformation meant to throw other front offices off. 

 

Don't believe the hype.

 

Ok, thanks for setting us straight. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

 

Logic (and I find your screen name ironic) here goes.

 

It is logical to conclude that this close to the draft those in the NFL Insider club are deliberately manipulated for purposes of subterfuge.  They get some clicks, but none of them knows anything for sure.  And Buffalo isn't about to let out a secret, at least nothing specific.  A savvy NFL front office doesn't tip their hat on a draft pick even late in the 1st round. 

 

Because I'm all good with not knowing anything but realizing Buffalo's front office is confusing others about their intentions.  Or, are you that me-first that you think you know while minimizing that some guy revealed Buffalo is leaky with their decision?  Up to you "Logic."

 


There isn’t any conclusion.  It’s all just discussions.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Playmaker term is so vague could mean anything. We could use playmakers at DE, CB, OL, RB, TE, and WR. As long as they can contribute Year 1 is what is more important. 

Edited by billieve420
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Great post!

 

He sure was and that is why I'm zeroed in on a cb or 2 right now.  The pass rush up front can be neutralized with a quick passing attack, so coverage is even more important. It's our biggest need.

It is a huge need.  No way any team should be going into an NFL conference championship game w Levi Wallace as one of your two starting boundary CB's.  His athletic ability to cover in what is now a very heavy passing league is simply not good enuf, and probably will never be.  He can't play press man coverage because he doesn't have the fast twitchiness needed.  We improve our starting CB2, we improve our defense considerably.  

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Meh I'm sure Matt Miller has connections, but "playmaker on either side of the ball" is as vague as it gets.

 

4 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Playmaker term is so vague could mean anything. We could use playmakers at DE, CB, OL, RB, TE, and WR. As long as they can contribute Year 1 is what is more important. 


I'll just copy and paste what I already said in this thread:

It would seem to rule out an offensive lineman and, arguably, a developmental pass rusher. It would seem instead to point to a cornerback, receiver, running back, or linebacker instead.

The term "playmaker" as it relates to the draft usually refers to adding some electricity, some speed, some home run threat, a turnover-creator, something like that. So it sort of DOES narrow things down a bit, in my opinion. 


In an offseason in which many here are penciling in an edge rusher to the Bills, Miller's take would seem to call that idea into question. It obviously doesn't completely rule out a big man with pick #30, but typically the term "playmaker" is not used to describe, say, a guard, tackle, or developmental edge rusher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

After being aggressive the entire season (and to start the AFCCG going for it on 4th down on our 1st possession) McD reverted back to his old tendencies, kicking FGs while the oppostion scores TD after TD.  Coaching not to lose as opposed to coaching to win the game.  
 

the afccg showed me that we need a better CB2.  McD was coaching scared on D.  Almost as if he had zero confidence in the players in coverage.  We didn’t have a defender in position to stop one pass the entire game. That was the worst defensive performance we had all year and it looked like (to me) that McD was worried about getting beat overtop on every play.

 

Doesn't matter how good of a secondary you have if the pass rush can't get to the QB. Even the best CBs are going to be beat if you can't bring pressure. We struggled bringing pressure with the front 4 without blitzing.

 

I am all for taking whoever is highest on the board at #30 whether that be a CB, DE, or OL as the primary needs. DT, RB, TE, LB, S and WR are secondary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...