Matt Miller's Team-by-Team Draft Rumors (what he's hearing about the Bills)

Logic

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A RB at 30 is a massive disappointment, IMO. 

Okay but why? We're talking about a bottom of the 1st round pick. I feel like the consensus is that a RB at pick 33 is fine, but a RB at pick 32 is a gross misuse of draft capital. Finding difference makers at any position at the bottom of the 1st round is hard. If the player has a major role in helping your team win games, that's a good pick at that spot.

Look at the best RBs in the league and where they were drafted:

Christian McCafferey #8

Derrick Henry #45

Nick Chubb #35

Ezekiel Elliott #4

Saquon Barkley #2

Dalvin Cook #41

Joe Mixon #48

Aaron Jones was drafted #182, Alvin Kamara was drafted #67. Those are the only real difference makers that were drafted after pick 50.

I think pick 30 to pick 50 is the sweet spot for RBs. Everyone says you can just find good RBs in the later rounds, but the reality is you find better ones more frequently early in the draft just like every other position.

Personally I wouldn't take any RB in the top half of the 1st round - but then again, is McCaffrey at pick 8 really a bad pick? The next several non-QB picks after him were John Ross, Marshon Lattimore, Haasan Reddick, Derek Barnett, Malik Hooker... I could easily argue McCaffrey is better than any of those players. Lattimore is the one you could make a good argument for. So at the end of the day the positional value only matters so much. Find a good player that helps your team win games.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Okay but why? We're talking about a bottom of the 1st round pick. I feel like the consensus is that a RB at pick 33 is fine, but a RB at pick 32 is a gross misuse of draft capital. Finding difference makers at any position at the bottom of the 1st round is hard. If the player has a major role in helping your team win games, that's a good pick at that spot.

Look at the best RBs in the league and where they were drafted:

Christian McCafferey #8

Derrick Henry #45

Nick Chubb #35

Ezekiel Elliott #4

Saquon Barkley #2

Dalvin Cook #41

Joe Mixon #48 

Aaron Jones was drafted #182, Alvin Kamara was drafted #67. Those are the only real difference makers that were drafted after pick 50.

I think pick 30 to pick 50 is the sweet spot for RBs. Everyone says you can just find good RBs in the later rounds, but the reality is you find better ones more frequently early in the draft just like every other position.

Personally I wouldn't take any RB in the top half of the 1st round - but then again, is McCaffrey at pick 8 really a bad pick? The next several non-QB picks after him were John Ross, Marshon Lattimore, Haasan Reddick, Derek Barnett, Malik Hooker... I could easily argue McCaffrey is better than any of those players. Lattimore is the one you could make a good argument for. So at the end of the day the positional value only matters so much. Find a good player that helps your team win games.

Because it’s about value over replacement. A great RB compared to a decent RB is closer than a great EDGE compared to a decent EDGE. 

a first round pick (because of the fifth year option) should be, on the whole, reserved for players who, if they make a ProBowl or two, will never be allowed to leave the building.  RB just ain’t that. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Etienne can’t pass block so must be Harris. No way they put him out there on 3rd down in this offense if he can’t pass block 

Lots of good YAC options - Elijah Moore In the 1st 

Speedy CB is a straight up NEED

“can’t pass block” or won’t?   It’s a matter of learning and effort.

Theres about 40 players who are supposed to go in the top 25-30;

QB(5)- Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance  (If someone reaches; Trask, Mills)

RB(2)- Etienne, Harris (Williams, Carter, Gainwell, Hill, Sermon)

WR(4-7)- Chase, Waddle, Smith, Toney, Marshall Jr, Moore, Bateman (Atwell, Moore, Rogers, etc.)

TE(1-2)- Pitts (Friermuth, Long, Jordan, McKitty, Tremble

OL(5-6)- Sewell, Slater, Jenkins, Mayfield, Darrisaw, Radunz, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Hudson, Leatherwood, Carman, Brown

Tucker, Davis, Smith, Dickerson, Humphrey, Meinerz

DE/Edge(6)- Paye, Phillips, Rousseau, Oweh, Ossai, Ojulari, Basham Jr, Tryon, Perkins, Roche, Rumph, Turner, Odeyingbo, Sample, Hayes

DT/NT(1-2)- Barmore, Onwuzurike, Nixon, Tufele, Wilson, Shelvin, Odighizuwa, Slaton, Williams, Tonga, Brown, Johnson, Goldwire, Jones

LB(6)- Parsons, JOK, Collins, Jamin Davis, Bolton, Browning,  Surratt, Moses, Britt, Rice, Jones, Rashed, Barnes, Werner, Cox

S(1-2)- Moehrig, Holland, Johnson, Sterns, Nasirildeen, Cisco, Grant, Melifonwu

CB(6-8)-  Horn, Farley, Surtain, Samuel, Molden, Newsome, Joseph, Robinson, Stokes, Campbell, Adebo, St. Juste, Mukuamu, Brown, Wade, Thomas, Williams

I know there is some overlap for Edge/DE/LB, I'm just trying to show that there will be at least 10 players left at 30 who most would agree have 1st round grades and hopefully at least a couple of those players are considered elite or top half of the first round grades.

Depending on how it falls the Bills could move into the 20's to get someone they love like a Parsons/Collins/JOK at LB or a WR they love that falls like a Toney, same goes for Edge(Paye, Phillips, Rousseau, etc.) and CB(Horn, Farley, Surtain, Samuel, Molden) or just as possible is trading back for more picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

Im just brainstorming

Also teams need more than just 1 lock down corner, at least thats my opinion even if a team has a good pass rush.

Tthe athleticism of today's QB's allows them to extend plays and make even teams with a good pass rush look silly especially if they can't hold up at the back end, in combination with athletic QB's is that teams have multiple weapons with 2-4 WR's or RB's and TE's forcing defenses to have multiple guys at the 2nd and 3rd level that can cover man to man and be disciplined in a zone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, just1hugheser said:

QB(5)- Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance  (If someone reaches; Trask, Mills)

WR(4-7)- Chase, Waddle, Smith, Toney, Marshall Jr, Moore, Bateman (Atwell, Moore, Rogers, etc.)

OL(5-6)- Sewell, Slater, Jenkins, Mayfield, Darrisaw, Radunz, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Hudson, Leatherwood, Carman, Brown

DE/Edge(6)- Paye, Phillips, Rousseau, Oweh, Ossai, Ojulari, Basham Jr, Tryon, Perkins, Roche, Rumph, Turner, Odeyingbo, Sample, Hayes

DT/NT(1-2)- Barmore, Onwuzurike, Nixon, Tufele, Wilson, Shelvin, Odighizuwa, Slaton, Williams, Tonga, Brown, Johnson, Goldwire, Jones

LB(6)- Parsons, JOK, Collins, Jamin Davis, Bolton, Browning,  Surratt, Moses, Britt, Rice, Jones, Rashed, Barnes, Werner, Cox

CB(6-8)-  Horn, Farley, Surtain, Samuel, Molden, Newsome, Joseph, Robinson, Stokes, Campbell, Adebo, St. Juste, Mukuamu, Brown, Wade, Thomas, Williams

I know there is some overlap for Edge/DE/LB, I'm just trying to show that there will be at least 10 players left at 30 who most would agree have 1st round grades and hopefully at least a couple of those players are considered elite or top half of the first round grades.

Depending on how it falls the Bills could move into the 20's to get someone they love like a Parsons/Collins/JOK at LB or a WR they love that falls like a Toney, same goes for Edge(Paye, Phillips, Rousseau, etc.) and CB(Horn, Farley, Surtain, Samuel, Molden) or just as possible is trading back for more picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

Im just brainstorming

Also teams need more than just 1 lock down corner, at least thats my opinion even if a team has a good pass rush.

Tthe athleticism of today's QB's allows them to extend plays and make even teams with a good pass rush look silly especially if they can't hold up at the back end, in combination with athletic QB's is that teams have multiple weapons with 2-4 WR's or RB's and TE's forcing defenses to have multiple guys at the 2nd and 3rd level that can cover man to man and be disciplined in a zone.

I see it differently. I have 18 first round grades and then 3 borderline 1st/2nd round players. But that only takes you to 21 and means there are a minimum of 11 first round draft slots that will be filled by people who I don't think are true first round talents, as is always the case in the draft. And what happens is once you get beyond those first couple of tiers of players then the next group always becomes more jumbled because you get to guys who will be really good fits in some places and not good fits in others. Asante Samuel is my poster boy for that in this draft. If you are the Buccs at #32 I can see why you might think he is worth a late 1st.... but if you are the Bills at #30 he does not fit the scheme at all and you would probably need to get to round 3 before the talent would be such that you would consider him worth the risk despite the scheme misfit. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

A great RB compared to a decent RB is closer than a great EDGE compared to a decent EDGE. 

But it's hard to find great players at that spot, that's my point. The success rate for 1st round picks is around 50%, depending on how you define success. Obviously once you're in the 30s the success rate would be significantly lower than that. If you draft a player that turns out to be above average, it's better than expected. So yes in a vacuum drafting a great DE is better than drafting a great RB, but drafting a great RB is better than drafting a decent DE, and it's impossible to know for sure what you're getting.

I recognize that the value of RBs is more short term than other positions, but for a team in the best Super Bowl window it's had in a very long time it's okay to sacrifice long term value a little in exchanging for maximizing the chances in that window. Take a player like Etienne and assume he reaches his potential in the NFL. No question a player with his skill set immediately improves our Super Bowl chances, and he's arguably the most likely player at that spot to reach his potential. I think scouting RBs is relatively easy compared to any other position. You know what you're getting with Etienne. If you feel that his skill set adds something new to your offense, it's absolutely a worthwhile pick at the bottom of the 1st.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The reason why some think top of the 2nd is okay but bottom of 1sr is not is for 1st round picks the team has a 5th year option on contract.  It is rare that a team will use a 5th year option on a RB so it is seen as a waste.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The reason why some think top of the 2nd is okay but bottom of 1sr is not is for 1st round picks the team has a 5th year option on contract.  It is rare that a team will use a 5th year option on a RB so it is seen as a waste.

In 2019, only 4 players drafted between pick 20 and 32 in 2016 has their 5th year option picked up. Last year it was 6 players. So over a 2 year range it's 38% of players drafted in that range that have their 5th year option picked up. I also think you could get 6 or 7 really good years out of a player like Etienne. If you draft any player at pick 30 and you get 5 or more really good years out of them, that's a great pick.

I think most people would agree that a very slight trade down out of the first is a high likely hood for us. I think not having a 4th rounder is a killer for this draft class. While I somewhat agree with the assessment of the Bills looking for a playmaker, I think a more accurate statement would be "Athletic Freak". The Bills coaching staff has shown an incredible job of being able to coach and work with what they have to this point. I wouldn't be shocked if we get some picks of players that have some incredible workout numbers and limited exposure. 

We have a team with no "GLARING" needs, so at this point it's all about upgrading to elite talent and getting equal==younger talent at positions.

Highest two positional needs: DE and CB2

Areas where I could see us getting younger: DT (Specifically a Space Eater), G/C, and S

Food For Thought pick: We run 4-2-5 90% of the time - would this be true if we had a beast SAM. Also what value would a tweener S/LB have for us. Can't think of his name, but The guy from the Chargers comes to mind as being something we'd love.

• Like (+1) 1

The Warlock 🧙‍♂️  they refer to as Brandon Beene is letting no intel out of One Bills Drive. You can look at all of the College players they interview. You can see where the scouts are going. But Matt Miller or no one else outside of One Bills Drive has any idea who we are drafting. Matt Miller’s speculations are 100% educated guesses. They make a lot of sense but totally just a educated guess. Some great dialogue on this thread. Good stuff

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Logic said:

The popular wisdom is that they're taking a corner or edge rusher in round 1.

I'm starting to wonder, though, if it's actually going to be an offensive playmaker in round 1, followed by a corner in round 2. The depth of the corner class leads me to think they can reasonably select a starting caliber corner in round 2 or even round 3. 

Beane always says that playoff losses show you where you're lacking. Our loss to the Chiefs showed us lacking in coverage and pass rush, sure....but don't tell me Beane didn't notice the elite speed and playmaking capability of the KC offense, too. Whereas the Bills have a great receiving corps as is, what they DON'T have -- either in the WR or RB room -- is an "instant offense" guy like Tyreek Hill or Mecole Hardman. 

Great post. Based on how the draft board looks this year and the fact that late first round 4-3 edge rushers almost never pan out (Joe Marino has mentioned this about 10 times on his podcast), I'm fully on board with this approach. Getting Kadarius Toney or Elijah Moore in the 1st and then adding a CB like Ifeatu Melifonwu, Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Benjamin St-Juste, or Kelvin Joseph in the second might be my ideal start to the draft (unless a Paye or JOK type falls to us at #30). 

Put a simpler way, think of how nervous you were every time Tyreek Hill caught the ball against the Bills last year and what he could do in space. Now imagine if we had a player like that on the Bills and what that could do for our offense. Then also think about what a young DB who could actually turn and run with Hill in man coverage could add to our defense. 

It's true that the Bills need to be better at rushing the passer, but unless Paye falls, I don't think we're in position to add someone who can have a Day 1 impact at that position. We also lack and therefore really need elite speed on both sides of the ball and a draft like this would accomplish that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Great post. Based on how the draft board looks this year and the fact that late first round 4-3 edge rushers almost never pan out (Joe Marino has mentioned this about 10 times on his podcast), I'm fully on board with this approach. Getting Kadarius Toney or Elijah Moore in the 1st and then adding a CB like Ifeatu Melifonwu, Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Benjamin St-Juste, or Kelvin Joseph in the second might be my ideal start to the draft (unless a Paye or JOK type falls to us at #30). 

Put a simpler way, think of how nervous you were every time Tyreek Hill caught the ball against the Bills last year and what he could do in space. Now imagine if we had a player like that on the Bills and what that could do for our offense. Then also think about what a young DB who could actually turn and run with Hill in man coverage could add to our defense. 

It's true that the Bills need to be better at rushing the passer, but unless Paye falls, I don't think we're in position to add someone who can have a Day 1 impact at that position. We also lack and therefore really need elite speed on both sides of the ball and a draft like this would accomplish that.

I agree with all of this, though even as a fan of Kadarius Toney, he's nowhere near as fast as Tyreek Hill. Probably one of the most slippery WRs I've seen after the catch, but he's not a world class speed guy nor has he proven to be much of a deep threat yet.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Awesome post and I agree spot on. I'm a 90% of the time build the lines guy but I believe the value lines up at WR,CB, maybe even RB this year. I would even suggest move up a bit higher in the 2nd to ensure the Bills can snag one of the guys in the "2nd tier" of CB's if need be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I agree with all of this, though even as a fan of Kadarius Toney, he's nowhere near as fast as Tyreek Hill. Probably one of the most slippery WRs I've seen after the catch, but he's not a world class speed guy nor has he proven to be much of a deep threat yet.

Good point. He looks about as fast as Hill on the field at times, but Hill ran a 4.29 40 Yd Dash. 

Forty Yard Dash Times for the Bad Guys:

Hill 4.29

Hardman 4.33

Forty Yard Dash Times for the Potential Good Guys:

Anthony Schwartz 4.26 (!!!!!)

Rondale Moore 4.29 (not very interested given his injury history)

Shi Smith 4.33

Elijah Moore 4.35 (my ideal target for WR at pick #30)

Simi Fehoko 4.37 (insane size/speed combo, very raw prospect, but I wouldn't mind him in the mid rounds)

Dee Eskridge 4.38

Kadarius Toney 4.39

22 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t think that they need impact this year - would be happy to get it, but they need to balance who is most ready to help immediately vs who can help most in the long-term.

I don’t like taking super athletes who did not produce in college, but likewise I am not crazy about taking a highly productive player with low ceiling, either.

I understand what you are saying, but whoever they do pick, they are still looking for someone who can start. That is an impact. When I said impact player, I meant someone who can step right in and contribute. Even if it ends up being an offensive lineman, that's still an impact if they end up starting. Picking at 30 is a tough spot to be in, though. Going to be hard to find those kinds of players.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I see it differently. I have 18 first round grades and then 3 borderline 1st/2nd round players. But that only takes you to 21 and means there are a minimum of 11 first round draft slots that will be filled by people who I don't think are true first round talents, as is always the case in the draft. And what happens is once you get beyond those first couple of tiers of players then the next group always becomes more jumbled because you get to guys who will be really good fits in some places and not good fits in others. Asante Samuel is my poster boy for that in this draft. If you are the Buccs at #32 I can see why you might think he is worth a late 1st.... but if you are the Bills at #30 he does not fit the scheme at all and you would probably need to get to round 3 before the talent would be such that you would consider him worth the risk despite the scheme misfit. 

I agree I have 22 players with a 1st round grade, I should have prefaced with a based on the media and the "talk" out there overall it looks like there are about 30-40 players who teams, as you said depending on scheme and culture to take into account, believe are worthy of a first round pick.  Aside from really missing that 4th round pick I think the Bills are well positioned to "let the draft come to them" if one of their guys falls to them at 30 or within their range of trading up to snag their guy as they have done in the past.  To me it feels more like they might trade back to try and get another 2nd and 3rd round picks because after that top 10-20 players comes off the board, the elite guys, there are a lot of quality players that can have an immediate impact for the Bills, especially in the secondary and OLine.

Personally I'm becoming a fan of taking a couple of secondary players, I like the height/size/speed combo's that are available guys like Stokes, Campbell, Melifonwu, Williams, Wade, Adebo these are not first round guys but even the top guys are all over 6ft with the exception of Samuel.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that Bills will have plenty of talent to pick from and just because the consensus our no. 1 need is DE/Edge rush doesnt mean that has to be our first pick or even can be addressed in this draft at all due to the lack of can't miss edge rushers, I'm not taking a developmental edge rusher in the 1st round no matter how off the charts his measurables are.

7 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Toney and Moore are great players, but the Bills need a Eric Moulds type receiver to compliment Diggs. Marshall Jr. is my guy. Could be the next best duo since Peerless and Moulds

• Like (+1) 1

Right so when I say "let the draft come to them"  I'm saying wait and see what value falls, does a Paye or Parsons/Phillips fall in the 15-20 range or does a WR(Toney/Marshall/Bateman) fall or do they have a real high grade on Etienne or Harris if they are there, how do they feel about JOK, Zaven Collins, Jamin Davis?

Will they wait on edge like Perkins or Roche?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

Im just brainstorming

Good post

Welcome aboard :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Balls,

I should have pre-faced with a based on the media and the "talk" out there, teams in total have about 25-35 players with 1st round grades, this depends on scheme, culture and of course differences in scouting for example Charlie Casserly talked to all 32 teams and 10 of them had Tyson Campbell as their 4th rated corner behind Horn, Surtain and Farley. 

Ive been a long time reader here at TBD, I was originally on the buffalobills.com message board and came over here but hadn't gotten into posting again until just now for whatever reason, I'm thinking of guys like Shaw, Beast, Teef, Virgil, Grundy I think and a whole bunch of others from that old message board.