Matt Miller's Team-by-Team Draft Rumors (what he's hearing about the Bills)

Logic

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

There are always exceptions.  There are good pass rushers who aren't super fast, good CBs who don't have good size, etc.  Beasley had already proven to be very good in the NFL.

Again, I'm not saying Rondale Moore won't be good - undersized guys like Steve Smith and Desean Jackson have had success, but a lot of undersized guys and guys with injury history have had problems making it in the NFL as well.  

Taking Rondale Moore in round 1 feels like taking a nickel CB in round 1.  Maybe it is a good idea, but I'd be a bit cautious there.

I also feel like Daboll had McKenzie on the back-burner a lot and he is in that quick-twitch smaller speedster range.

Will adding another guy with similar traits mean more plays designed to use him?

I understand the issue around TE and not having that dual pass-catching/blocking threat that limited Knox's role, but Isaiah's limited use was always a head-scratcher for me.

Seemed like a playmaker whenever he got the ball.

Edited by WideNine

I think the obvious thing to remember is that the Bills will be looking for a high impact player. It could be a running back or WR. It could be a CB or DE. Thing is, where they are picking, the position they want filled the most isn't likely to be the position that will be filled. It's going to be any position that provides the biggest impact for the team. That article the OP is talking about still has some speculation in it. They are speculating what the Bills want and maybe there is some truth in there, but don't be surprised if we are all wrong about who they pick. There are many ways to get better but who is going to be the biggest impact player?

Wish I knew, but I don't. So, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show. I don't think I want to be in Beane's shoes right now. Toughest draft he's had yet.

26 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I think the obvious thing to remember is that the Bills will be looking for a high impact player. It could be a running back or WR. It could be a CB or DE. Thing is, where they are picking, the position they want filled the most isn't likely to be the position that will be filled. It's going to be any position that provides the biggest impact for the team. That article the OP is talking about still has some speculation in it. They are speculating what the Bills want and maybe there is some truth in there, but don't be surprised if we are all wrong about who they pick. There are many ways to get better but who is going to be the biggest impact player?

Wish I knew, but I don't. So, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show. I don't think I want to be in Beane's shoes right now. Toughest draft he's had yet.

I don’t think that they need impact this year - would be happy to get it, but they need to balance who is most ready to help immediately vs who can help most in the long-term.

I don’t like taking super athletes who did not produce in college, but likewise I am not crazy about taking a highly productive player with low ceiling, either.

Edited by OldTimer1960

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I would too.....but reaching for a pass rusher  isn’t the answer.  Wallace is terrible enough where McD obviously doesn’t trust him. Watch the coverage he was in vs the chiefs.  Off off off coverage.  Like not even close to a WR coverage

Yeah the biggest clue to the Bills draft plans is that we didn't even tender Levi Wallace. He still ended up signing here obviously, but we were willing to risk him going to another team. That tells me athletic CB is definitely going to be a pick on day 1 or day 2.

Also last year we tried to sign Leveon Bell. That tells you what they think of the running back room. Beane can come out and say the TEs didn't give us enough production or that the offensive line was responsible for the running game troubles, but then he brought back the entire o-line and his only move at TE was to replace Tyler Kroft. His actions tell us where he's really looking to improve the team.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I suppose, but I also think it rules out an offensive lineman and perhaps a developmental edge rusher, as well. 

He also suggests a yards-after-catch WR and a three-down RB as being likely possibilities at that spot, which not many in Bills fan land are forecasting at the moment

By "at that spot," you mean the first round?

He suggests WR and RB as "being likely possibilities at that spot"? Does he? Looked to me like he suggested they might be possibly in the top three. Unless there is more there than you posted.

55 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah the biggest clue to the Bills draft plans is that we didn't even tender Levi Wallace. He still ended up signing here obviously, but we were willing to risk him going to another team. That tells me athletic CB is definitely going to be a pick on day 1 or day 2.

Also last year we tried to sign Leveon Bell. That tells you what they think of the running back room. Beane can come out and say the TEs didn't give us enough production or that the offensive line was responsible for the running game troubles, but then he brought back the entire o-line and his only move at TE was to replace Tyler Kroft. His actions tell us where he's really looking to improve the team.

Your point about Wallace seems telling.

But the one about LeVeon Bell came from last year, before Moss hit his turning point and started playing so well late in the year. That they wanted Bell then doesn't necessarily mean they would want him now with the situation changed. It might. But it's not necessarily so. Needs change year to year.

Also, we're told that the three offers Bell had were close to equal between the Bills and Chiefs and one other. The Chiefs gave him $1M for 1 year. That's barely above vet min. If the Bills had thought Bell was all that important they could have had him easily with a fraction more money.

And he said the OL was responsible and didn't bring any new OLs in ... but that OL that he brought back didn't play together last year for one single snap. All they have to do to be different from last year is actually get on the field together. Just assuming that Ford comes into the season knowing that he'll be at LG and stays healthy could be a huge difference from what we saw last year. You'll recall he started the season at RG, and switching sides destroys your whole muscle memory, as you're now mirroring yourself, like switching sides as a hitter in baseball (not as hard as that, but extremely hard).

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Oliver is the only good DT on this roster.

Star was average before he even took a year off.

He really wasn't. He was very good at his one task, freeing up the LBs to run. Fair enough that he was a 2-down guy but he was doing what they need done by their space eater very well.

Edited by Thurman#1

Don't know about round 1 but I'm still guessing they get their ultimate replacements for Star, Morse, Feliciano and Hughes in this draft. Not immediate replacements since the Bills are fighting for a Super bowl but guys to develop and have ready to replace them if they show enough in 2022. Quality upper end depth rather than mid level free agents. Cheap labor too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, todd said:

After Star, we're extremely weak at a 1 technique DT. I'm hoping we can find one. The way we rotate, there needs to be good depth behind Star. We saw what happened last year when he wasn't there. The D wasn't as good, and we had trouble getting to the QB. So that's what I'm hoping for somewhere in the remaining offseason.

Yeah, agreed. But that kind of guy isn't highly valued by all teams. Only certain teams value space eaters. IMO they'll be able to get one even assuming Shelvin gets past us. [Just saw from Buscaglia and Dane Brugler on the Athletic that Dane Brugler says that Shelvin has motivation problems, that he has weight and conditioning issues and ballooned at one time to 390 and that he's very good when motivated but sometimes plays like he isn't. "was suspended for several weeks during the 2018 season due to laziness and weight issues (NFL scout: “He could be Vince Wilfork if he was motivated to be”). That doesn't sound like a Beane pick]. Guys like Tedarrell Slaton, Bobby Brown III, Khyiris Tonga and a couple of others could be had late as developmental players.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

After being aggressive the entire season (and to start the AFCCG going for it on 4th down on our 1st possession) McD reverted back to his old tendencies, kicking FGs while the oppostion scores TD after TD.  Coaching not to lose as opposed to coaching to win the game.  

the afccg showed me that we need a better CB2.  McD was coaching scared on D.  Almost as if he had zero confidence in the players in coverage.  We didn’t have a defender in position to stop one pass the entire game. That was the worst defensive performance we had all year and it looked like (to me) that McD was worried about getting beat overtop on every play.

The coaching staff game day decisions may be the biggest liability in 2021

I'm sticking with what I posted in the past, I think....lol 

1. Harris

2. Edge

3. NT

4. TE

5. Center

9 hours ago, H2o said:

Terrace Marshall from LSU comes to mind in the back end of the 1st as well. 

I agree.  Him, Toney or one of the higher rated guys slip would be in play.  I think an athletic cb is also an option.  The standard cb opposite White thelast few years isnt enough.  Edge is another premier position i think they have an eye on.  

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Also, we're told that the three offers Bell had were close to equal between the Bills and Chiefs and one other. The Chiefs gave him $1M for 1 year. That's barely above vet min. If the Bills had thought Bell was all that important they could have had him easily with a fraction more money.

$1 million is still more than what Singletary or Moss were getting and one of them would have had to be benched to make room for Bell. Personally I have a hunch that McDermott has lost patience with Singletary and is ready to move on from him. I still doubt we draft a RB in the 1st because there will probably be better players available, but I think they will try to upgrade the position.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1