Matt Miller's Team-by-Team Draft Rumors (what he's hearing about the Bills)

Logic

Just now, billieve420 said:

Doesn't matter how good of a secondary you have if the pass rush can't get to the QB. Even the best CBs are going to be beat if you can't bring pressure. We struggled bringing pressure with the front 4 without blitzing.

I am all for taking whoever is highest on the board at #30 whether that be a CB, DE, or OL as the primary needs. DT, RB, TE, LB, S and WR are secondary.

It doesn’t matter how good of a pass rush you have if the offense does quick passes all game because the opposing defenders aren’t good enough to stick their man for the first 2 seconds.  

it goes both ways.  

Yes, our pass rush must improve.  No question.  Our coverage (and the coaches confidence in our coverage players) must improve as well.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It doesn’t matter how good of a pass rush you have if the offense does quick passes all game because the opposing defenders aren’t good enough to stick their man for the first 2 seconds.  

it goes both ways.  

Yes, our pass rush must improve.  No question.  Our coverage (and the coaches confidence in our coverage players) must improve as well.  

I would rather have a better pass rush than a better #2 corner.  Wallace isn't terrible.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It is a huge need.  No way any team should be going into an NFL conference championship game w Levi Wallace as one of your two starting boundary CB's.  His athletic ability to cover in what is now a very heavy passing league is simply not good enuf, and probably will never be.  He can't play press man coverage because he doesn't have the fast twitchiness needed.  We improve our starting CB2, we improve our defense considerably.  

Here's a hot take, I really would look at drafting 2 CBs early and a big fat 1T and be happy with the draft

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would rather have a better pass rush than a better #2 corner.  Wallace isn't terrible.

Edge guys are meh this year and I would rather not swing an miss. Aj will give us a little bit and I'm hoping Star springs Oliver free and the in turn helps Hughes. 

I think better coverage will help the pass rush as well.

Side note: I want a disruptive Edge guy more than anything, just not getting in this year in the draft... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Here's a hot take, I really would look at drafting 2 CBs early and a big fat 1T and be happy with the draft

Edge guys are meh this year and I would rather not swing an miss. Aj will give us a little bit and I'm hoping Star springs Oliver free and the in turn helps Hughes. 

I think better coverage will help the pass rush as well.

Side note: I want a disruptive Edge guy more than anything, just not getting in this year in the draft... 

Always BPA but in a dream scenario if both are "equal"....I would rather have the DL.  Interior pressure would help too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

As I previously pointed out in this thread: It would seem to rule out an offensive lineman and, arguably, a developmental pass rusher. It would seem instead to point to a cornerback, receiver, running back, or linebacker instead.

The term "playmaker" as it relates to the draft usually refers to adding some electricity, some speed, some home run threat, a turnover-creator, something like that. So it sort of DOES narrow things down a bit, in my opinion.

OK, I'll accept that. (Really hoping for Najee Harris!)

• Like (+1) 1

total smoke screen, we are gonna abdicate our first 3 picks just to throw off the other teams!

seriously tho, while pass rush vs coverage is a fair debate, i think given that we have 2 solid safeties, an all pro corner, and a play making slot corner (altho he is not totally consistent in coverage, who is?), the weakness we have at cb2 ends up being a target for the opposing O.  a better pass rush IMO would take oliver and AJ getting better this season, and addison and houghs getting a big refresh, which i suppose can happen.

biggest thing to me is that a rookie corner could come in and by like mid season be a solid starting cb2 in our D.  that gets rid of the hole in the backfield, which slows down the o passing, which creates more time to get to the passer, and allows us to maybe take some more chances or disguise things better.

unless a total stud falls to 30 at edge (and if one does, i really want to eat my words in this post and pick that guy, i just don't think it's so likely) a pass rusher is more likely to just work his way up a little bit in our DL rotation and get like 30% of snaps by late season, and while it could be a strong impact for those snaps, unless we get our new CB2 later in the draft we still have some holes in coverage.

so, based on all of this, i wouldn't be surprised at all that we might take a cb w the 30th pick, but if we take a DE im gonna pretend i knew it and that he's the next freeny

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would too.....but reaching for a pass rusher  isn’t the answer.  Wallace is terrible enough where McD obviously doesn’t trust him. Watch the coverage he was in vs the chiefs.  Off off off coverage.  Like not even close to a WR coverage

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

it has to be.  The great coaches learn from it.  The coaches that aren’t so great, don’t.  Let’s just hope that McD continues to improve.  I thought he showed a different level aggressiveness last year.  

Yeah, I’m sure it’s all Frazier

McDermott trusts his coaches. I'm sure the level of aggressiveness resulted just as much from Frazier and Daboll as it did from McDermott.

15 minutes ago, turftoe said:

If the RAS means so much, why on earth did we just sign Bobby Hart?

Is this a serious question? Bobby Hart is maybe 50/50 to even make the active roster. It's okay to shoot a little higher for that for your draft picks...

The Bills are in a good position to simply let the draft come to them. They have a need for a pass rusher and several other areas of "want" such as a CB, NT, TE and RB. I think NT they can get in round 2-5 so take that off the board at pick 30. And as far as TE I am not sure one will fit the bill at pick 30 either so take that off the board. That pretty much leaves the Bills drafting whatever the best player at CB, Pass Rusher or RB is at pick 30. Not a bad place to be in.

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I would too.....but reaching for a pass rusher  isn’t the answer.  Wallace is terrible enough where McD obviously doesn’t trust him. Watch the coverage he was in vs the chiefs.  Off off off coverage.  Like not even close to a WR coverage

I think he McD didn't trust him, he would have sat him and not re-signed him.  I think of course he wants to upgrade that position but I think he's okay if Wallace takes it.  He's been trying to bench him for 2 years but the replacements haven't been better.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he McD didn't trust him, he would have sat him and not re-signed him.  I think of course he wants to upgrade that position but I think he's okay if Wallace takes it.  He's been trying to bench him for 2 years but the replacements haven't been better.

He didn’t trust anyone last year at cb2, especially vs Kc.  Norman would actually get some reps over wallace and Norman was awful.  Wallace signed for pennies and knows the system.  That’s why he’s back.  Not because they think he’s great....or he would’ve gotten paid more and for more than 1 year.  

if Wallace is our #2 cb again, we better seriously upgrade our run game and add a big hitting WR.  Our pass rush isn’t going to miraculously be great. We’ll have to win with O

Good info OP and great comments from other. Yes, KC showed what incredible speed everywhere can do. But I’m on record as saying/believing we’ll trade the pick (plus addition resources) for a proven pass rusher. So if I’m wrong, I’ll go down in a blazing 🔥 Fire. 

Wont be the 1st time..

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He didn’t trust anyone last year at cb2, especially vs Kc.  Norman would actually get some reps over wallace and Norman was awful.  Wallace signed for pennies and knows the system.  That’s why he’s back.  Not because they think he’s great....or he would’ve gotten paid more and for more than 1 year.  

if Wallace is our #2 cb again, we better seriously upgrade our run game and add a big hitting WR.  Our pass rush isn’t going to miraculously be great. We’ll have to win with O

I don't think they think he's great which is why they've been trying to replace him.

Since Wallace has been here, we've had Phillip Gaines, EJ Gaines, Kevin Johnson, Josh Norman, Pitts and Dane Jackson at the #2 spots.....

We've kept Wallace.  There's other vets they could have signed for $2.5 million.  

Wallace is a "if you want test the market, that's cool.  Here's our offer, take or leave it".  He will be in the mix to start next year if we don't go corner early.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think they think he's great which is why they've been trying to replace him.

Since Wallace has been here, we've had Phillip Gaines, EJ Gaines, Kevin Johnson, Josh Norman, Pitts and Dane Jackson at the #2 spots.....

We've kept Wallace.  There's other vets they could have signed for $2.5 million.  

Wallace is a "if you want test the market, that's cool.  Here's our offer, take or leave it".  He will be in the mix to start next year if we don't go corner early.

For sure.  I think he’s likely going to start even if we draft corner @30, with the rookie hopefully taking over as the season goes on. 

My point is, he should upgrade our cb2 if we want to be able to play the chiefs honest.  Whatever D we saw vs them in the AFCCG, I hope to never see again 🤮