Aaron Donald facing assault charges for attacking a guy in Pittsburgh [Update: mistake, apology issued]

Hap, it s not after 2am, it’s midnight is what I was taught.  I hate being out that late and forget about driving home.  You take you’re life into you’re own hands at that hour.

I don’t care what the guy did as I don’t doubt he provoked Donald, but he shouldn’t hit him even once.  Donald easily could’ve shoved him back (god knows he throws guards around like rag dolls and those guys are over 300 lbs.) and left the bar calling the police.

Im making a lot of assumptions, but both in a perfect world are charged with assault and battery and the other guy does not get a payout if he started it.  I don’t know if the NFL would suspend him for the act, but I’m sure they’ll do their own investigation.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

But 33 years ago...

image.png.ab3722dedf20bb245f9eee5d7afe7aa2.png

isn't that the guy who tyson broke his hand on?

i remember reading that story as a child and thinking if tyson can break his hand w a punch, than anyone can.  been focused on knuckle/hand safety every since.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Boy.

Happened at 3 or 4 am

Guys, Nothing Good happens after 2 am.  Go Home.

I think the coach that originally said that was quoted as "After Midnight" ;)

If you haven't met your hook up by then your probably looking for a scrap ;)

3 minutes ago, colin said:

i remember reading that story as a child and thinking if tyson can break his hand w a punch, than anyone can.  been focused on knuckle/hand safety every since.

Never punch a guy in the mouth your hand will get infected ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I think the coach that originally said that was quoted as "After Midnight" ;)

If you haven't met your hook up by then your probably looking for a scrap ;)

Never punch a guy in the mouth your hand will get infected ;)

scary.  my current thai boxing coach is all about turning hooks into slaps in a self defense situation.  knees elbows and kicks are done w/o pads, so one should be conditioned for those without protection, but a broken hand can be one of those injuries which linger forever.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

Mitch "Blood" Green.  Beaten with one punch outside of Dapper Dan's haberdashery in Harlem.

• Like (+1) 1

article on this

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31256498/lawyer-seeks-assault-charges-los-angeles-rams-star-aaron-donald-reports-say

Attorney Todd J. Hollis said his client, De'Vincent Spriggs, needed 16 stitches and suffered a broken orbital bone, a broken nose, a concussion and a sprained or broken arm. The alleged attack occurred around 3 a.m. Sunday, Hollis said, and the attorney released a photo that showed Spriggs with facial injuries and swelling.

Apparently either the police weren't called or declined to make arrests/pursue charges, so the guy retained an attorney who filed a complaint on his behalf:

An attorney filed a criminal complaint against Los Angeles Rams pass-rusher Aaron Donald with Pittsburgh police on Wednesday, saying the defensive tackle and others assaulted his 26-year-old client at an after-hours club last weekend.

His story is that his client was attacked outside the club:

According to Hollis, Spriggs inadvertently bumped into Donald and an incident ensued inside the Boom Boom Room nightclub that caused both parties to be asked to leave.

"When they got outside, Mr. Donald approached Mr. Spriggs and Mr. Spriggs was punched and attacked, again allegedly, by Mr. Donald and the individuals that were a part of his group," Hollis told ESPN.

Pittsburgh police said that detectives are reviewing the complaint and video footage and are consulting with the District Attorney's office to determine whether charges are warranted.

I imagine the next step will be a civil lawsuit, after the DA looks at the evidence and says "yeah, nothing good happens after midnight, nothing to see here"

I'm not saying this is what happened. I'm not victim shaming here.

But if I rep'd some of these players - I'd be telling them that they should EXPECT to be targeted. There are people out there that will realize who you are and goad you into beating the ***** out of them. They may "deserve" it. But they know what they're doing. They're *trying* to get beat up. Because they know - it might suck in the short term. But in the long term, they're going to get a BIG civil settlement and become rich off it.

Just understand it for what it is, laugh it off, and go home. 

On 4/14/2021 at 1:33 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess to put it another way, if I were in a fight even if it looked like I got the worst of it and the other guy would be charged, I would probably look for a lawyer to safeguard my interests - whether or not I had plans to sue in civil court

Spencer Jones had to make sure to safeguard that beautiful face:wub: 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, whatdrought said:

Is this your best snap judgment of his snap judgment?...

On 4/14/2021 at 2:37 PM, MJS said:

Well, I've noticed that it is the famous person who always gets the benefit of the doubt. It's always a money grab. These snap judgements are pretty dang predictable.

I believe, as a snap judgment, that this may be the better example of a snap judgment of a snap judgment.  😄

Edited by BuffaloBob

On 4/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, colin said:

There was a kid in my school when I was 12 that broke his hand punching Adam Tuft in the face. Adam had rather large front teeth and I think they did plenty of damage. That put me off throwing punches unless I absolutely had to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

There was a kid in my school when I was 12 that broke his hand punching Adam Tuft in the face. Adam had rather large front teeth and I think they did plenty of damage. That put me off throwing punches unless I absolutely had to.

the old timey pics you see of bare knuckle guys w their palms facing themselves shows a little bit of what is necessary to fight bare knuckle and not get murked.  totally different mind set

On 4/14/2021 at 8:07 PM, JoPoy88 said:

Donald’s probably the last person on earth any sane individual would want to get in a fight with. I know the other guy was also pretty big, but you’re definitely taking an L regardless.

I think the real insane person here is Donald, for getting suckered into this situation when he should be way above this type of stuff. Someone bumps you and spills your drink? Laugh in their face and buy a round for the entire bar. THAT is the alpha move.

Fighting is win-win for the guy and lose-lose for Donald(or any pro athlete for that matter).

Guy wins the fight, he gets to say he beat up Aaron Donald.

Guy loses the fight, he goes after some of Donald's $135M.

Donald wins fight, no one cares. You're a pro football player, of course you can beat someone up. You look like a bully. Enjoy your lawsuit.

Donald loses the fight, looks like a wuss.

I remember running into Rob Ray at the Pier back in the day and we chatted for a bit. And then he was like (paraphrasing) "Ok, time for me to go. There's enough drunk people here where someone is about to pick a fight with me, and there's no good outcome for me." Apparently, being famous for being a fighter is a real pain in the ass when you want to go to a bar, because every drunk idiot wants a "shot at the title", and no matter what happens the pro athlete has nothing to win and always loses in someway.

15 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Well this certainly changes everything.

• Thank you (+1) 1