CFL to delay season, Argos owners want to "scrap" the league

10 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This will never happen. WAY too many Canadians love the CFL

I am from canada and I don't think this statement is true at all with all due respect.

I think more of the older generation still like it and in some parts in the country as well, but for the most part I don't think there is much buzz at all.

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Everyone acts like no one watches spring football. But the XFL, even after the initial curiosity watchers that put their games in the Top 3 TV ratings in their debut  weekend, settled into the top 10 to 12 of weekly TV ratings, outperforming most NHL and some NBA games. What killed them was COVID. Vince McMahon pulled the plug once he realized games would have to be called off. I think they were well on their way to establishing spring ball. He could have taken those ratings and gotten a real TV deal.

True.

The reason why these sports league's keep getting crazy money is because people actually still watch sports live..........and therefore actually watch the commercials........so it's still a good investment for advertisers.

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I am from canada and I don't think this statement is true at all with all due respect.

I think more of the older generation still like it and in some parts in the country as well, but for the most part I don't think there is much buzz at all.

That's because most people that say they love football actually only love the NFL or gambling or Fantasy Football or a combination of the three. There is nothing wrong with being in love with the most attractive girl (or whomever) at the party but let's call it what it is. 

14 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Im From Canada too and while I am not a big CFL fan, I know there are so many people who are passionate about it.

CFL history runs deep and I know if they were to ever scrap the league, it would make a lot of people very upset and would not be a popular choice 

I mean, I have seen soooooooooooo many people who still wear the shirt that says "CFL...our balls are bigger" 

Yeah, there are a ton of die hard CFL fans here 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Im From Canada too and while I am not a big CFL fan, I know there are so many people who are passionate about it.

CFL history runs deep and I know if they were to ever scrap the league, it would make a lot of people very upset and would not be a popular choice 

I mean, I have seen soooooooooooo many people who still wear the shirt that says "CFL...our balls are bigger" 

There are definitely die hard fans here.

A ton? That’s where I respectfully disagree with you . 

If there were “tons” of fans, minimum pay would be a lot more than 40k for the players .

Now factor in the pandemic and potential back to back lockouts? They are in big trouble 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 2

I was just thinking that if MLSE wants to shut it down why don't they just buy it?

Its not like they aren't rolling in dough.

I guess they don't want to be seen as the big bad villain.

45 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

My grandfather(dads side) won a Grey Cup with Ottawa he later played for the Cats.

I would be saddened but they have been on a death watch for years

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, LittleSammy said:

Maybe MLSE can get Bon Jovi to buy the Argos. His pal Robert Craft can loan him the money to make the purchase. 

Only if he cuts back on his Thai "therapeutic" massage budget

With the massive amount of interest in football, the abundance of college players (both in the US and Canada) that have that dream of the NFL or simply want to get paid for playing the game they love, and the NFL "beating the bushes" to unearth hidden talent, I think a spring CFL/XFL league makes total sense. Some of these players, especially small-school talent, need coaching and game reps to see what type of player they can become. There are still Fred Jacksons out there to be discovered.

And what of the players that are drafted by teams that run the wrong system that they might thrive in or players that get drafted by one regime only to see them fired with the incoming GM/Coach having no allegiance or interest in them? Think of Jerry Hughes languishing in Indy before the trade to Buffalo.

I loved the USFL as a teenager. I remember some NFL vets that became "fringe" players at the end of their career, prolonged their playing days in the USFL. I'd love to see that occur in a CFL/XFL merger. Maybe I am in the minority, but I love football and would watch year round if given the chance.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I agree that the CFL is declining but all I am saying is there are enough die hard fans to keep the league from closing

Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Calgary and Winnipeg are the lifeblood of that league. The problem is that the four other cities where the league exists, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa, are where the money is in this country. Montreal has had a strong following in the past, but Montreal is a hockey city. Toronto fans have not flocked to Argonauts games for years. Vancouver has been mediocre in attendance for years and Ottawa is lucky to have a franchise.

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

LOL wow.

Listen I am not a CFL fan at all. I wouldnt care if the league folds. IN fact, it would probably be better if it merged with XFL 

All I am saying is I think there are enough fans and people of influence that would prevent the league from folding

Thats all

Just curious...please explain "be better"...

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Everyone acts like no one watches spring football. But the XFL, even after the initial curiosity watchers that put their games in the Top 3 TV ratings in their debut  weekend, settled into the top 10 to 12 of weekly TV ratings, outperforming most NHL and some NBA games. What killed them was COVID. Vince McMahon pulled the plug once he realized games would have to be called off. I think they were well on their way to establishing spring ball. He could have taken those ratings and gotten a real TV deal.

I was really surprised that Vince cut the cord so quickly. He spent years getting back up to speed, spent tons of his own money, hired seemingly competent people and the XFL was doing pretty well prior to COVID, as you mentioned.

COVID threw a wrench into every business, but he had to know there would be a post-COVID. It's just odd that he shut it right down and walked away so quickly. 

or does the NFL merge with the CFL and admit 4 Canadian NFL teams, 2 NFC and 2 AFC, and realign to 6 divisions of 6 teams each?

West, Central, East divisions in each conference like the old NFL days. 

You play 10/17 games in your division, with 6 crossover games from one division and a conference opponent that rotates based on division and standings. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think for the Toronto group it's mostly that the CFL is 2nd fiddle to the NFL, and they want to be in the big league. 

The Toronto Series was 100% about moving the Bills to Toronto after Mr. Wilson passed away. At least from their (MLSE and Rogers) point of view. It was the "in" they needed to secure the team when it went up for sale. 

Rogers and MLSE paid almost $80 million for a couple of football games a year and nothing else. To think they weren't going for something bigger is willful ignorance. If Mr. Wilson had passed away before Ted Rogers then this team would the in Toronto full-time right now. 

I think that Mr. Wilson saw what was happening and played it brilliantly. Tannebaum and Rogers had come right out and made it clear what their intentions were in 2006. They wanted an NFL team in Toronto, full-time, and were openly petitioning the NFL for a sign that it was willing to play ball. For the Bills to survive in WNY there couldn't be a Canadian team right across the border. 

2 year later, Wilson makes his move: take 120+ million from Rogers over the course of the deal and renewal, and lock down Toronto as his market so no other team could relocate there.

Not only did he pocket 100+ million dollars (in unshared revenues) to help bolster the Bills finances, but he also established that Toronto was the Bills territory. 

Assuming his estate could find a buyer willing to keep the team in WNY, it could be sold for whatever huge price PLUS he already has Rogers $120 million. It's a nice double-dip. 

PLUS, if an NFL team ever tried to relocate to Toronto, the Bills are likely in a position to claim ownership of that market, meaning some sort of compensation would have to be agreed to. 

It was an absolutely brilliant business move. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think for the Toronto group it's mostly that the CFL is 2nd fiddle to the NFL, and they want to be in the big league. 

The Toronto Series was 100% about moving the Bills to Toronto after Mr. Wilson passed away. At least from their (MLSE and Rogers) point of view. It was the "in" they needed to secure the team when it went up for sale. 

Rogers and MLSE paid almost $80 million for a couple of football games a year and nothing else. To think they weren't going for something bigger is willful ignorance. If Mr. Wilson had passed away before Ted Rogers then this team would the in Toronto full-time right now. 

I think that Mr. Wilson saw what was happening and played it brilliantly. Tannebaum and Rogers had come right out and made it clear what their intentions were in 2006. They wanted an NFL team in Toronto, full-time, and were openly petitioning the NFL for a sign that it was willing to play ball. For the Bills to survive in WNY there couldn't be a Canadian team right across the border. 

2 year later, Wilson makes his move: take 120+ million from Rogers over the course of the deal and renewal, and lock down Toronto as his market so no other team could relocate there.

Not only did he pocket 100+ million dollars (in unshared revenues) to help bolster the Bills finances, but he also established that Toronto was the Bills territory. 

Assuming his estate could find a buyer willing to keep the team in WNY, it could be sold for whatever huge price PLUS he already has Rogers $120 million. It's a nice double-dip. 

PLUS, if an NFL team ever tried to relocate to Toronto, the Bills are likely in a position to claim ownership of that market, meaning some sort of compensation would have to be agreed to. 

It was an absolutely brilliant business move. 

Which is why I am so supportive of the Pegulas even if their ownership record is less than stellar. The Bills were as good as gone after Ralph passed away. Jon Bon Douchebag teamed up with Rogers to buy the Bills and take them north. The plan was to buy the Bills for between $800MM and $1B, then wait a few years while Toronto built a new stadium. The $400MM lease breaking fee wasn't going to stop them.

But then two things happened: Ted Rogers also passed away and the Pegulas wrote the massive (at the time) check. The Bills were saved. Thank goodness they at least got the Bills right. Hoping they get as lucky with the Sabres.

• Awesome! (+1) 1