CFL to delay season, Argos owners want to "scrap" the league

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You might not believe it but the three-down football is the original football. American colleges added the 4th down.

https://torontosun.com/2012/02/02/college-football-a-different-game-century-ago

I believe it.  People used to bathe in their own filth back in ancient Rome.  

It’s like the Speedo our northern brethren seem to favor.  Can you do it?  Yes, if you’re an Olympic swimmer and/or compete regularly at a level where   appropriate.  Should you on a public beach?  No, it’s not natural and it’s an affront to the natural order of things. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

One of the best football games I've ever seen was the 1989 Grey Cup between Hamilton and Saskatchewan. When Tony Champion caught the TD with about a minute to go, everyone was expecting OT, but the Rough Riders had other ideas. It was like a team from the NFC East won the Super Bowl. Great stuff! 

That Tony Champion catch is the greatest catch of all time! A hill I am willing to die on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Anyone think the NFL gets involved? Maybe they'll absorb the CFL and XFL and create a true farm league.

I dont believe they have any interest in doing that.  That AA league was really aligning themselves with this, practically begging.

The NFL has a farm league right now that is fully funded.  The players dont get paid.  

Just now, May Day 10 said:

The NFL has a farm league right now that is fully funded.  The players dont get paid.  

But the majority of QBs (and a few other important skill positions) come out of that "farm league" woefully unprepared for the NFL. A few years in a true farm league, owned and operated by the NFL itself, could help.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

But the majority of QBs (and a few other important skill positions) come out of that "farm league" woefully unprepared for the NFL. A few years in a true farm league, owned and operated by the NFL itself, could help.

Maybe if it was like hockey and you could get drafted as an 18 year old... But otherwise, I think the system is fine how it is.

2 hours ago, LittleSammy said:

Maybe MLSE can get Bon Jovi to buy the Argos. His pal Robert Craft can loan him the money to make the purchase. 

Rumor has it that Kraft has extra cash now that he has stopped visiting the "health" spa.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to one CFL game at the old Ivor Wynne. It was like a trip back in time to the Ol' Rockpile.

Went to Baltimore Football Club (official name) more known as Baltimore Stallions (trying to attract old Colts fans).  

If CFL could get network contract promise I think they could get some US teams without US teams (Portland, St Louis, etc.) to boost income to league.  I think a league size of 12 would be best.  I think Northern states would be best especially border states so Canadian fans could travel. This of course would have to wait for borders to open up.  I think there is a market for professional football with history which does not cost as much to watch as NFL does. 

I could probably count the minutes on one hand of CFL Football I’ve watched in my 39 years of existence. But the league has been around for a long time and it gives a lot of kids the opportunity to continue their football careers when the NFL doesn’t come knocking. I’d hate to see it go

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Anyone think the NFL gets involved? Maybe they'll absorb the CFL and XFL and create a true farm league.

The NFL does not want the added liability of a minor football league but are totally fine if other people want to spend money on one.

With all the high schools in WNY playing spring football due to COVID, I have to admit it's pretty cool to see football in the spring.

A spring pro league that had its stuff together AND didn't start until late March or so might work. It's great weather for football right now!

The economics are the hardest part. It's expensive to run a football team. 

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

With all the high schools in WNY playing spring football due to COVID, I have to admit it's pretty cool to see football in the spring.

A spring pro league that had its stuff together AND didn't start until late March or so might work. It's great weather for football right now!

The economics are the hardest part. It's expensive to run a football team. 

Everyone acts like no one watches spring football. But the XFL, even after the initial curiosity watchers that put their games in the Top 3 TV ratings in their debut  weekend, settled into the top 10 to 12 of weekly TV ratings, outperforming most NHL and some NBA games. What killed them was COVID. Vince McMahon pulled the plug once he realized games would have to be called off. I think they were well on their way to establishing spring ball. He could have taken those ratings and gotten a real TV deal.

• Like (+1) 1