CFL to delay season, Argos owners want to "scrap" the league

https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/reports-april-19th-cfl-announce-delay-mlse-interested-in-blowing-up-the-cfl/

MLSE, owners of the Toronto Argonauts, as well as Leafs and Raptors, sick of losing money, want to blow up the CFL, scenarios could include merger with the XFL, which could also mean abandoning 3-down football.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/reports-april-19th-cfl-announce-delay-mlse-interested-in-blowing-up-the-cfl/

MLSE, owners of the Toronto Argonauts, as well as Leafs and Raptors, sick of losing money, want to blow up the CFL, scenarios could include merger with the XFL, which could also mean abandoning 3-down football.

That would be the quickest way to scrap the CFL...

• Haha (+1) 12

9 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This will never happen. WAY too many Canadians love the CFL

Maybe in the west but most of eastern Canada couldn't give a rats behind.

As a former Ti Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers season ticket holder it would be sad day to shut it down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

One of the best football games I've ever seen was the 1989 Grey Cup between Hamilton and Saskatchewan. When Tony Champion caught the TD with about a minute to go, everyone was expecting OT, but the Rough Riders had other ideas. It was like a team from the NFC East won the Super Bowl. Great stuff! 

Edited by Draconator
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This will never happen. WAY too many Canadians love the CFL

24 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Maybe the issue is not enough Canadians love the CFL?

I believe three down football is culturally engrained into Canada, which makes merging with an American four down league difficult if not impossible. It sounds like MLSE doesn't really care. They want a profitable football team. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll bet the owners of the Argos also see the CFL in Toronto as a barrier to eventually getting the NFL team they really would like to have. If the league ever expanded again I’d think Toronto would be a prime candidate with maybe London, Mexico City and a few US cities in the running. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I believe three down football is culturally engrained into Canada, which makes merging with an American four down league difficult if not impossible. It sounds like MLSE doesn't really care. They want a profitable football team. 

If people can handle the transition to 6 minute abs  from 7, our neighbors to the north can evolve.  

The whole thing was scandalous to begin with.    Where did that 4th down go?   Did an announcer ever say “This is three down football territory here!”?  “3rd and goal from the one” brings excitement, hope and optimism for the future because we alway know there is usually a 4th down to come. 

I say they get busy living or get busy dying.    

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

If people can handle the transition to 6 minute abs  from 7, our neighbors to the north can evolve.  

The whole thing was scandalous to begin with.    Where did that 4th down go?   Did an announcer ever say “This is three down football territory here!”?  “3rd and goal from the one” brings excitement, hope and optimism for the future because we alway know there is usually a 4th down to come. 

I say they get busy living or get busy dying.    

You might not believe it but the three-down football is the original football. American colleges added the 4th down.

https://torontosun.com/2012/02/02/college-football-a-different-game-century-ago

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Dang, hope it doesn’t fold.

Was definitely going to try to make it to a Ti-Cats game at their new barn at some point.

I went to one CFL game at the old Ivor Wynne. It was like a trip back in time to the Ol' Rockpile.

• Like (+1) 2

When I still lived in WNY, I used to watch CFL football as a primer to the NFL.  Always like Montreal Al's.  I have to admit, I have lost track of the league over the last 20 years, but when some random game shows up on ESPN, I am all in.  I actually find it more compelling than most college football games.

• Like (+1) 2