Vaccine mandates in the NFL

Apologies if this is already a thread here in PPP, but nearly every single thread about vaccinations in the NFL is getting shut down on the main board, which is unfortunate because it's a relevant discussion to the NFL specifically.

This isn't meant to be an overarching discussion of vaccine hesitancy in society as a whole... just vaccine policies in the NFL as we move into OTAs, minicamp, Training Camp, and the 2021 season in the NFL.

Apparently a few weeks ago the NFL said it wasn't going to mandate players to get vaccinated.... but they would be incentivized.

NFL Employees are essentially being mandated the vaccine without a "bona fide" reason not to get it.

It's looking like fan attendance at some stadiums--if not all--will be determined based on whether you've been vaccinated.

So... any additional news?  Info?  Thoughts?

Frankly, I think the NFL should mandate it for all players, employees and fans entering the stadium and be done with it already.  They have the right to do it.  Rip the band aid off and make the announcement already and let's get on with it.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 4

I won’t exactly weep for the multimillionaire athletes if it’s mandated, especially now that it’s going to be required  for Joe Six-Pack to be allowed into the stadium.

Also... crap... I just thought of something.  Entry (especially for the hone opener) is going to be even more of a shitshow now with then having to scan the stupid Excelsior Pass in addition to the security checks and ticket scanning. F**k.

I am critical of the moderator who decided to close that thread.  Poor, short-sighted judgement on their part.   The very same moderators have tolerated an endless river of juvenile posts, memes and Twitter feeds in the name of free speech but when the thread gets a little hot for them personally, they go give it the Jack Dorsey. 

Edited by dpberr
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I am critical of the moderator who decided to close that thread.  Poor, short-sighted judgement on their part.   The very same moderators have tolerated an endless river of juvenile posts, memes and Twitter feeds in the name of free speech but when the thread gets a little hot for them personally, they go give it the Jack Dorsey. 

cmon, it was turning into an “I know you are but what am I?” shouting match 

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Apologies if this is already a thread here in PPP, but nearly every single thread about vaccinations in the NFL is getting shut down on the main board, which is unfortunate because it's a relevant discussion to the NFL specifically.

This isn't meant to be an overarching discussion of vaccine hesitancy in society as a whole... just vaccine policies in the NFL as we move into OTAs, minicamp, Training Camp, and the 2021 season in the NFL.

Apparently a few weeks ago the NFL said it wasn't going to mandate players to get vaccinated.... but they would be incentivized.

NFL Employees are essentially being mandated the vaccine without a "bona fide" reason not to get it.

It's looking like fan attendance at some stadiums--if not all--will be determined based on whether you've been vaccinated.

Frankly, I think the NFL should mandate it for all players, employees and fans entering the stadium and be done with it already.  They have the right to do it.  Rip the band aid off and make the announcement already and let's get on with it.

I think the NFL should figure out what a gosh durn interception is before they get up in my grill about my vaccination situation.  

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think the NFL should figure out what a gosh durn interception is before they get up in my grill about my vaccination situation.  

So the players and fans need to complete the process of a vaccination

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Employer Mandates seems like a pretty big deal.  I could see them encouraging it, and maybe even requiring a waiver or more rigorous quarantine rules etc for the unvaxed.  

But aren’t the non vaccinated really just posing risks to themselves in this equation? 

47 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yeah we should probably listen to experts like Scientists who study this sort of thing...wonder what they're saying.

Edited by Warcodered

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Eh, I bet they could of probably figured out that Rams INT better than the refs did.

Agree. Now as far are what scientists are saying about the vaccine, one of the things they are saying is; what luck, this messenger RNA approach to vaccine creation we’ve been effing up for two decades finally worked this first time ever. 

Sweet!!

I can some see people being skeptical about it. We don’t know what we don’t know about what happens 8 months to a year, 2 years later. 

wife and I have discussed taking different development technique vaccines in case one of them causes some yet to be known longer term issues just to diversify the risk. 

some of the the earlier polio vaccines allegedly caused problems when one encountered the disease much further down the road and created fatal autoimmune reactions, so too ‘robust’. 

like most things, it’s not simple.  

Scientists also report nfl players are in an extremely low risk category. 

Will be interesting how this plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Employer Mandates seems like a pretty big deal.  I could see them encouraging it, and maybe even requiring a waiver or more rigorous quarantine rules etc for the unvaxed.  

But aren’t the non vaccinated really just posing risks to themselves in this equation? 

There's a tipping point, though.

This might regrettably bring us into a general Covid Vaccine hesitancy discussion, but if a gigantic chunk of the population refuses to get the vaccine, then not much changes.

Unfortunately, despite the deepest desires of some for "herd immunity" through infection, we live in cautious times in a cautious society. So while maybe 30% of the population is waiting things out for everyone to get infected so everyone can finally get out and about normally thanks to herd immunity due to mass infection (and death) as was the result of the 1918-1919 Pandemic, the vast majority of the country is waiting for that 30% to get their darn vaccines so we can get back to normal already.

This is the incredibly frustrating part of all this. Qanon's leader and prophet himself got the vaccine along with his wife and did it silently... behind closed doors.

Wanna complain about everything being shut down and things not being back to normal...? Get your darn vaccine and then complain. Be the solution rather than the problem.

That goes for Football players, too.

Love Josh Allen. He's amazing on and off the field.

Josh... get your damn vaccine and set an example.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I don’t see why it would be necessary for the players except to protect the NFL’s bottom line. They just got through an entire season unvaccinated. 

The NFL's bottom line is all that matters...

Yeah, the NFL got through a season making significantly less money than they used to... but the NFL is a business, not a charity.

Owners don't own teams for the altruistic sake of fan enjoyment. They there to make money. That's reality.

The NFL won't survive too many seasons like 2020. Don't be naive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Agree. Now as far are what scientists are saying about the vaccine, one of the things they are saying is; what luck, this messenger RNA approach to vaccine creation we’ve been effing up for two decades finally worked this first time ever. 

Sweet!!

I can some see people being skeptical about it. We don’t know what we don’t know about what happens 8 months to a year, 2 years later. 

wife and I have discussed taking different development technique vaccines in case one of them causes some yet to be known longer term issues just to diversify the risk. 

some of the the earlier polio vaccines allegedly caused problems when one encountered the disease much further down the road and created fatal autoimmune reactions, so too ‘robust’. 

like most things, it’s not simple.  

Scientists also report nfl players are in an extremely low risk category. 

Will be interesting how this plays out. 

I think your statement about the polio vaccine is incorrect.  (Polio vaccine).  Doctors have identified a set of conditions that effect polio survivors decades after their exposure to the disease (Post-polio Syndrome).

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL should allow their players to make their own choice on COVID unless they want to make them get the flu vaccine also. The players are mainly the types who get extremely minor versions of the illness. As for the crowd, I don't know how they can demand to be shown health records of people to be allowed into a public place. They can force them to sign a waiver in order to buy tickets but they can not legally force them to turn over health info.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I think your statement about the polio vaccine is incorrect.  (Polio vaccine).  Doctors have identified a set of conditions that effect polio survivors decades after their exposure to the disease (Post-polio Syndrome).

Maybe I was thinking of the cutter incident or the measles problem in the 60’s. Either way, I get people may be skeptical.  

Maybe don’t get the bill gates conspiracy stuff, but when the norm for doing something in 10 years is done in 1 with new tech, and deals with the tricky immune system, long term unknowns are real.

So mandating as terms of employment seems, especially for a demographic in the low risk category, problematic.

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I won’t exactly weep for the multimillionaire athletes if it’s mandated, especially now that it’s going to be required  for Joe Six-Pack to be allowed into the stadium.

Also... crap... I just thought of something.  Entry (especially for the hone opener) is going to be even more of a shitshow now with then having to scan the stupid Excelsior Pass in addition to the security checks and ticket scanning. F**k.

Cover passports it's coming ! Why didn't they do this with the flu it's about as bad & has killed about as many sheepeople too ? 

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah we should probably listen to experts like Scientists who study this sort of thing...wonder what they're saying.

It's what their not saying (or hiding) that gets me and what they are adding to it to .

Pump the brakes. Elderly and immune deficient people definitely need to get vaccinated. Once done, which they say will be within weeks not months, you’re going to see the mortality rate drop like a stone! (After all thats who were dying all along anyway.) Will it really matter then if other, healthy, younger people catch Covid? Really? Why? They catch it every day right now, and virtually 100% of them fully recover within a week...just like so many other viruses we’re all accustomed to. How many 72 year NFL players are there other than Tom Brady anyway? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

There's a tipping point, though.

This might regrettably bring us into a general Covid Vaccine hesitancy discussion, but if a gigantic chunk of the population refuses to get the vaccine, then not much changes.

Unfortunately, despite the deepest desires of some for "herd immunity" through infection, we live in cautious times in a cautious society. So while maybe 30% of the population is waiting things out for everyone to get infected so everyone can finally get out and about normally thanks to herd immunity due to mass infection (and death) as was the result of the 1918-1919 Pandemic, the vast majority of the country is waiting for that 30% to get their darn vaccines so we can get back to normal already.

This is the incredibly frustrating part of all this. Qanon's leader and prophet himself got the vaccine along with his wife and did it silently... behind closed doors.

Wanna complain about everything being shut down and things not being back to normal...? Get your darn vaccine and then complain. Be the solution rather than the problem.

That goes for Football players, too.

Love Josh Allen. He's amazing on and off the field.

Josh... get your damn vaccine and set an example.

See this is where the ‘follow the science’ ‘my body my choice’ crowd lose me. 96% of covid fatalities in the country are aged 50 or older. That’s the vulnerable population. Once they are vaccinated or otherwise protected along with the willing and the others with risk factors, and the 30 million or more contracted covid, the herd risk is effectively mitigated. That is science. 

Those aged 50+ also are at lower risk for unknown long term side effects because they aren’t living another 50-60 years. 

I’m signed up to get it, but I’m skeptical there might be some issues years from now we learn about from this new first time ever mRNA fast tracked vaccine approach that they’ve been failing to get right for decades based on less than a years data. 

• Like (+1) 1