If a team’s roster is solidified and picks late then why not move up in a draft?

Instead of just staying where you’re slotted or even trading back to accumulate more pick(s), I would think that a team would be more afforded to take that shot to move up in a draft to be in better position to take a player that is projected to be a difference maker. The window for a team to sustain great success is usually opened for just a few years, especially due to the salary cap. Rosters are turned to some degree from year to year and then the contracts start to mount and catch up to a successful team, forcing them to make bigger changes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That is certainly an option for our FO, and I would not be surprised in the least if that was what ends up happening. Beane likes to go after players he feels make a difference. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That is certainly an option for our FO, and I would not be surprised in the least if that was what ends up happening. Beane likes to go after players he feels make a difference. 

Gitt Pitts!!!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I like the idea if the Bills genuinely feel this takes them all the way.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Instead of just staying where you’re slotted or even trading back to accumulate more pick(s), I would think that a team would be more afforded to take that shot to move up in a draft to be in better position to take a player that is projected to be a difference maker. The window for a team to sustain great success is usually opened for just a few years, especially due to the salary cap. Rosters are turned to some degree from year to year and then the contracts start to mount and catch up to a successful team, forcing them to make bigger changes. 

It takes two to tangle 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Georgie said:

It would cost most of the Bills picks to move up for him. No thanks ...will have other spots to fill ,especially with all the one-year contracts 

Let's see Beane go rogue and trade all his picks for Pitts, Ricky Williams style!

• Like (+1) 2

How about Alabama’s DT Christian Barmore? I don’t think that Beane would have to trade up drastically to draft him and with the question marks with Harrison Phillips and Star Lotulelei he might be a good fit for this defense’s future.

• Like (+1) 1

Because teams have to plan beyond this year. 

Smart front offices draft for the future, not just the present.

As Josh Allen and other young Bills get signed to big contracts, it will become more and more important for the Bills to rely on a pipeline of cheap labor.

Less picks = less cheap labor and less swings at players that can help the team.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

We don’t even have the ammo to move in the top 5 area to get Pitts so quit dreaming guys. You’d have to include a blue chip player in that deal like white or Diggs to even get on the phone. Our guys on rookie deals haven’t really flashed enough to be big trade bait. 
We have a pretty stacked roster but we are gonna need this rookie class to produce and need their contracts in 3-4 years. If Beane has a guy who maybe falls to the 15 range cause of the quarterback run maybe he can swing something but even that’s gonna be pricey. Just have to trust the scouting department has done their jobs and you can get contributors the first 2-3-4 picks of the draft. The chances we are grabbing one of the elite blue chip prospects is next to nothing. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I just watched this and thought it was funny, appropriate to post a trade story in a post about trading up

Pioli loves himself some Pioli.  Amazing how smart he wasn’t as soon as he left New England.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Because teams have to plan beyond this year. 

Smart front offices draft for the future, not just the present.

As Josh Allen and other young Bills get signed to big contracts, it will become more and more important for the Bills to rely on a pipeline of cheap labor.

Less picks = less cheap labor and less swings at players that can help the team.

It's a balance. Beane has talked a lot about how important it is to get his guy. While he's not batting 1.000 moving up, I'm a huge believer in building strong opinions on players and sticking to them... Obviously depends on the situation, but if you're 3 picks away from your spot and there's a lot of "meh" out there and 2 guys that you feel strongly about, it's absolutely worth a small investment to get the guy you like. A prospect (that you like) in the hand is worth two (meh) prospects in the bush, if you will...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2